The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Me thinks a North Somerset Diversity Coordinator is trying to justify his/her position
Reply 21
Ridiculous!!
Reply 22
Transatlanticdrawl_
She shouldn't bring religion into her profession, she should keep it separate. That's just as bad as trying to talk about atheism, non-belief, or indeed anything to do with religion. It's unnecessary and innappropriate, not to mention unprofessional.

^^ This.

While I personally wouldn't be offended if this happened to me, I live in France now and definitely agree with the French principle of laïcité, whereby religion and one's profession are kept separate. It avoids offence being caused to people and keeps things simpler generally. Most people's professions have nothing to do with their personal beliefs, so why bring them into it?
The nurse was only trying to do a nice gesture, if the woman didn't want the prayer then she should have simply told the nurse so she wouldn't do it again. Suspending her is OTT in my opinion.
Reply 24
I wonder if it would ahve happpened to a muslim
I do think it is unprofessional. I would feel incredibly awkward if someone in that position offered to pray for me.

That said, they could just have told her to stop rather than suspending her.
The nurse was only trying to do a nice gesture, if the woman didn't want the prayer then she should have simply told the nurse so she wouldn't do it again. Suspending her is OTT in my opinion.
Reply 27
jdgirl
non-christians? who are obviously going to be immensely offended by the offer of a prayer

That is ridiculous, i am a Muslim and wouldn't be offended at all, i'd only be grateful and accept her offer.
:lolwhut: should she be blunt and dishearten them instead?
Reply 29
oh cmon on
That is ridiculous, i am a Muslim and wouldn't be offended at all, i'd only be grateful and accept her offer.

I was being sarcastic, or did you already see that?
Cryforhelp.
It's correct, I would be offended if someone offered to pray for me.

I wouldn't be offended, but I would find it laughable and most likely end up offending them by mistake.

Seriously though, if the woman wasn't offended, why report it? I thought elderly people were supposed to be politically incorrect? They are round by me lol.
Why the **** would she be offended? My Muslim friends have offered to pray for me before, and I'm Christian. The old woman is utterly pathetic, as is anyone who would be offended by that. Poor nurse!
Reply 32
Thats just out of order to be suspended! You cant do right for doing wrong these days!
If the nurse said, I'm so sorry but your going to hell, then I agree she should of been suspended, but doing the opposite and offering a prayer and losing your job? Very harsh. She should of atleast got a private warning.
Reply 34
Thats just out of order to be suspended! You cant do right for doing wrong these days!
Reply 35
Angelil
^^ This.

While I personally wouldn't be offended if this happened to me, I live in France now and definitely agree with the French principle of laïcité, whereby religion and one's profession are kept separate. It avoids offence being caused to people and keeps things simpler generally. Most people's professions have nothing to do with their personal beliefs, so why bring them into it?

OK, fair point. But should the nurse really have been suspended without pay?! I think not, a quick word should have been sufficient.

On another note, this was a home visit. Somehow I think that this it makes it slightly more acceptable, less professional surroundings, more personal... Hmm maybe it's just me.
teashoci
I wonder if it would ahve happpened to a muslim

if there was, by the next day there would be enough tabloids calling her a terrorist that she might start believing it hermself.
jdgirl

On another note, this was a home visit. Somehow I think that this it makes it slightly more acceptable, less professional surroundings, more personal... Hmm maybe it's just me.

The fact that it was on a home visit makes it worse if you ask me. Your home is a place of comfort and familiarity where you don't really want things you're not comfortable with encroaching on that.
Reply 38
That is political correctness gone too far. It was clearly intended in a kind way. x
She said that she wasn't offended but was concerned that someone else might be.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: PC in action again.

Latest

Trending

Trending