The Student Room Group

Kings Extended Medicine course..

Hey, Im a first year pharmacy student, I am staring to consider other options as I really don't think pharmacy is for me.

I really do want to study medicine and I have read on the Kings website that they will still consider me if I leave my course after 1st year. So I would be applying for the 2010 cycle.

Does anyone actually do the course? And does anyone know anything about the application process?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Anyone?

Also has anyone done any widening access courses?
do you mean the 6year course?? somnething along the lines of natural sciences for a year and tehn progress on to the 5 year??
Reply 3
If you are talking about the EMDP course I thought it was for people in state schools/colleges around london who don;t have high enough predictions for the normal 5 year course...

They have a website
http://www.kcl.ac.uk/ugp09/programme/687
petzneo
Hey, Im a first year pharmacy student, I am staring to consider other options as I really don't think pharmacy is for me.

I really do want to study medicine and I have read on the Kings website that they will still consider me if I leave my course after 1st year. So I would be applying for the 2010 cycle.

Does anyone actually do the course? And does anyone know anything about the application process?

I have friends that are on the course, and are applying for it now etc. Any questions- PM.
Reply 5
Nicolish
If you are talking about the EMDP course I thought it was for people in state schools/colleges around london who don;t have high enough predictions for the normal 5 year course...

They have a website

This. But I thought that you must have not done Science A Levels???:confused: And yh, you have to be from certain boroughs in London..
Nicolish

They have a website

Some in the course have the AAA predicted and do get the AAA, its a weird course
Sine
This. But I thought that you must have not done Science A Levels???:confused: And yh, you have to be from certain boroughs in London..

That was the conversion course, for Med, but its not in the prospectus any longer.

You have to be in certain boroughs, such as Hackney, Tower Hamlets, Kensington etc and stuying and living there for two years.
Reply 8
Nasher and Basher
That was the conversion course, for Med, but its not in the prospectus any longer.

You have to be in certain boroughs, such as Hackney, Tower Hamlets, Kensington etc and stuying and living there for two years.

I don't understand though...Why only those boroughs??:confused: ..
Reply 9
Sine

It's part of KCL's outreach program no? Helping disadvantaged youth in the local boroughs, showing they care about the local community, etc. I think.
Reply 10
Democracy
It's part of KCL's outreach program no? Helping disadvantaged youth in the local boroughs, showing they care about the local community, etc. I think.

Oh ok.
Sine

As these boroughs have schools that have low achievement, not the resources etc or knowledge on how to prepare students for medicine entry etc.

On the EMDP course, students also do essay writing etc.

The Extended Medical Degree Programme (EMDP) is a six-year medical degree course that has been designed to help students living in inner London to study at Medical School. The course allows students to study at a slower pace and with greater support during their first three years. By the end of the six years of the EMDP, students on the course will have covered exactly the same topics, at the same level of detail, as the conventional medical students on the standard five-year MBBS programme. They will also have sat the same examinations and been required to achieve the same pass mark.

Eligibility for the EMDP
To be eligible to be considered for the EMDP programme, you must be attending, or have attended in the last two years, a non-selective state school or FE College in specific Boroughs in London and south-east England recognised to have high levels of social disadvantage (listed below). Satisfactory documentary evidence will be requested.

We regret that the EMDP programme is unable to accept any student classified as overseas for fees purposes. For more information on fee classification, please contact the Student Admissions Office.

- City of London
- Barking & Dagenham
- Bexley (with the exception of the four grammar schools)
- Greenwich
- Hackney
- Haringey
- Islington
- Kensington & Chelsea
- Lambeth
- Lewisham
- Newham
- Southwark
- Tower Hamlets
- Waltham Forest
- Westminster

- Medway and Kent

BBS (A100) vs EMDP (A101)
These are not (technically) two different degree programmes. By the end of the six years of the EMDP, students will have an MBBS from King's. They will have covered exactly the same topics, at the same level of detail, as the conventional medical students on the standard five-year MBBS programme. They will also have sat the same examinations and been required to achieve the same pass mark.

The difference lies in the pace at which the EMDP covers the subjects (and examinations) in the first three years.

1st year (1A)
- students cover about 55 per cent of the conventional first year course
2nd year (1B)
- students cover the remaining 45 per cent of the first year and about 20 per cent of the conventional second year course.
3rd year (2)
- students cover the remaining 80 per cent of the conventional second year course

The extra space this creates on the timetable during the first three years enables our students to have additional time to study part of this is self-directed and part is timetabled. The timetabled tutorials cover medically related aspects of chemistry, numeracy and writing skills, together with the more difficult concepts in the medical course itself.

In their final three years, EMDP students experience the clinical parts of the course at exactly the same pace as the conventional students and will be indistinguishable from them. There will be no extra white spaceђ on the timetable and no extra academic support during this period. The medical qualification obtained by EMDP students at the end of their course will be identical to that obtained by students on the five-year course.
Reply 12
Umm thanks...by City of London...I guess that doesn't mean the Borough of Ealing?
petzneo
Umm thanks...by City of London...I guess that doesn't mean the Borough of Ealing?

Unfortunantly no, it literally means the City of London.
Reply 14
petzneo

:no:...the City of London is like a square mile in the centre of London methinks:shifty:
Reply 15
Dang...well there goes that option...hmm I guess I'll just have to turn my attention to the SGUL widening participation, Soton and UEA...
petzneo
Dang...well there goes that option...hmm I guess I'll just have to turn my attention to the SGUL widening participation, Soton and UEA...

SGUL have an access route for over 21s with Kingston, also TVU do an access course to Imperial- alwasy in clearing, you have to do the BMAT though.
Reply 17
Nasher and Basher
SGUL have an access route for over 21s with Kingston, also TVU do an access course to Imperial- alwasy in clearing, you have to do the BMAT though.

Im only 18...and I know quite a bit about the TVU access course, no-one for 5 years was accepted for medicine at Imperial
petzneo
Im only 18...and I know quite a bit about the TVU access course, no-one for 5 years was accepted for medicine at Imperial

Thats not true, 3 people got in there last year- where are you getting your info from- TVU course.
Also has been used to get people into other unis, I think UEA.

Latest

Trending

Trending