The Student Room Group

Please, give me an advice about finding and starting a job!

Hi, guys. I am a student in London. I am an EU student and this is my first time here in the UK. I finished my first semester and now I have to find a job. I really need to work because I do not have any subsidiary income to support myself here. If i do not start a job I will have to suspend my studies eventually. Tongue Tied It will be really awful. I am asking for any advice about searching and starting a job. What I have tried by now is applying online through websites like gumtree and Reed. I have also applied online to stores like ASDA, Sainsbury's and Lidl. I have a few rejections though. I do not have a job yet nor a set interview. Am I doing something wrong or I do not push hard enough? Probably. I will appreciate any help and any advice. How and where to apply? Do I have to do it online only? Do I have to go at site? Please, tell me how you do it from your own experience. My studies are truly important to me and I do not want to lose them because of my income.

Thank you for your time!
*Subscribes*
Bubbles*de*Milo
*Subscribes*

Same here. I've not had as much as a rejection letter so far, need to know what I'm doing wrong.
I am applying online so far but tomorrow I am going to Tesco and other nearby stores to look for job vacancies. I was advised by a friend to do that. She told me that many people are applying online for the same position so it's better if I go on site. As for applying online for jobs I could recommend gumtree.com and job centre plus.
culinor
I am applying online so far but tomorrow I am going to Tesco and other nearby stores to look for job vacancies.

If it makes you feel better, you're probably better off in London than anywhere else in the UK.
Reply 5
Your best bet is to dish loads of CVs out to all shops and places you want to work. even if they dont have a job at the time u give it they might call u up when they do get vacancies. It always works for me and good luck.
Reply 6
Sign up to as many different temping agencies as you can. If you're skilled enough (english-wise) to do call or office work then you might be able to get some temporary work in these areas. As someone else posted send your CV out to retail companies even if they're not advertising just to get yourself on the books for when something comes up.
Look on the job centre website, fish4jobs, monster.co.uk if you haven't already applied for the jobs on here.
Well Its hard to get jobs at the moment with the amount of redundancies and the current high ememployment rate.

What sort of experience you have obviously affects the jobs you are "qualified" for. Once you know what your strong points are and why you think someone would want to employ you, its time to get the word out.

A few examples;

Have office experience? - Go to recruitmant agencies (In person)
Worked in Retail - Hand out 900 CVs to shops in your local area.
Worked behind a bar before - Get enquiring in bars and pubs etc for jobs.
Do you know people working in shops or supermarkets? - Get asking around for a vacancies and for people to put in a word for you.
Been to the job centre yet?
Checked the local paper?

You have to apply to A LOT of places, and make sure your CV is well written and that really sells you. (The likelyhood is its only going to be looked at for a few seconds if at all, so it has to be well designed.) Once you get invited to an interview you have to be able to convince the employer your the one for the job.

Getting a job can be hard but if you put in the work and hand out enough CVs one of them is bound to stick.

My 2c anyway!
Reply 8
Ask around - many vacancies are never advertised. Try an agency. Does your student union have a 'job shop' type facility?

If you need experience, think about doing some volunteer work?

Latest

Trending

Trending