The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Is snow even that heavy?!
Reply 21
Report whoever put it up to that cowboy builders TV show. Do the walls shake when someone farts?
salt
Reply 23
Haha gutted
Reply 24
Get a broom! :P
Reply 25
fisherman
Would the water not just set to ice, and then definitely break the roof?

Shovel it off, knock it off, just get it off somehow.

No, if the water is hot enough - i.e. from a kettle. It won't freeze that quickly
Reply 26
Thoust™
Oops! I leaned out of my window and just poured "hot" water mixed with salt onto the roof! It's cracking and I'm doomed.

Wait until my parents see what I've done to their NEW conservatory.

***** me

lol **** i gave the complete wrong advice then :rolleyes:
Reply 27
carrotboy
No, if the water is hot enough - i.e. from a kettle. It won't freeze that quickly

Putting hot water on a freezing glass/plastic surface is NOT a clever idea. It should be lukewarm at most.
Put all the heaters in your house in the conservatory, switch them all on full then stand them on something so they theyre about 6 inches away from the roof. That way some of the heat inside will inevitably radiate through the glass and help melt the snow without ever being hot enough to damage the glass, in theory.
hot plus cold leads to thermal shock and the expansion/contraction of certain materials? who knew? :rolleyes:

to anyone who actually has this issue, though the snow at present is not likely to put too much weight on any roof apart from something made by fisher price, you should try to remove it by pushing it off, sweeping etc. If you cant get it off, and it really is going to damage the roof, hook up a karcher to a lukewarm supply and blast it downhill.
Reply 30
forget the conservatory...

I was almost crushed today by a huge oak tree branch falling 30 feet after collapsing due to weight of the snow on it.

*Note to self...don't ramble through forests after snow storm (and remember to carry spare set of underware)* :awesome:
Reply 31
shockcat
forget the conservatory...

I was almost crushed today by a huge oak tree branch falling 30 feet after collapsing due to weight of the snow on it.

*Note to self...don't ramble through forests after snow storm (and remember to carry spare set of underware)* :awesome:

ha...ha...ha...very funny :sigh:
Hmmmm, sure you weren't conned by cowboy builders?
:troll:
Reply 34
fisherman
Snow can soak up a lot of water before it washes off, massively increasing the weight on the roof. And if it's cold, it will freeze solid, and you can't wash ice off a roof.

Fair point, but if a small amount of water (say a bucket full) had no useful impact then common sense would hopefully suggest you stop! Actually cold water isn't too bad at getting (thin) ice off, or at least with a stiff brush it works. Cold day on board a boat last term!
Reply 35
Reply 36
use fire

Latest

Trending

Trending