The Student Room Group

Anyone applied to Edinburgh College of Art?

Cause I have and I know UCAS don't send the application off till the 12th of Feb, but I heard you don't hear if you got a place (if you get through application stage) till the end of April, this making it too late for UCAS to then send off my 2nd art college application if I don't get into ECA. I don't wanna not end up getting in anywhere if the worst happened that I didn't get into ECA.
Hmmm.
Oh this is for First Year Studies btw :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
heyy as long as you have applied to more than one uni on your UCAS form then they all get sent off in time to be considered. so you shouldnt miss out on any of your choices.
hope that makes sense :s-smilie: this UCAS malarky is all abit confusing.
ive applied for first year studies aswel at ECA wooo :smile:
Reply 2
Good luck to both of you. ECA is great for art:smile:
Reply 3
Ok thanks :smile:
Yeah it was just that it said they'd only send it off if ECA said no :s-smilie:
But oh well hopefully i'll get into ECA and it wont be an issue lol, just I heard their kinda bad on the comunitcation side of things!
Reply 4
uh oh. thats worrying.
im sure itll be ok though.. call them alot. and be a pain :smile:
Reply 5
i'm hoping to get into eca too! for 2nd year photography. :smile:
i've applied there too for 1st yr studies! i've been wodnerin the same thing actually
i applied to sunderland and northumbria too. gt an offer frm sunderland, but still w8in to hear frm the uthas. if it takes too long i would get on their back about it cs it aint fair to keep ya hangin around for aaages, even if they decide to reject u. i'll b doin tht if they dnt send owt within the next month or so.
Reply 7
Yeah well I applied to wimbledon as well but I couldnt get there cos of the snow so the woman said she'd reschedual but I havn't got the letter yet. Yeah well apparently you hear at the like the beginning of March once they've sorted out all the applications and faffed around for a while. And then you get a interview but thats not till like April so then you dont find out till May but UCAS want the 2nd choice offers to be sent off in March if decline or are rejected, but then you don't know if you not gonna get in till May. Stupid system.
Reply 8
i know it just keeps you hangin about when you could just decide on the offers you allready had. bother..

good luck to everyone though! :]
Reply 9
I know cos i've applied to places outside UCAS and I dunno how long their give me to decide if I want a place if they choose me :s-smilie: silly ECA!!
Reply 10
eca does have a bit of a rep for being a bit disorganised...

but personally, I don't mind one bit! :biggrin: I'd much rather go to a uni that's a bit disheveled than one that's all super-proper and perfect, I have a feeling that'd suit me much better.

hi, joined this convo a bit late, but im applying for first year in september too! dont worry about accepting etc cos i think you can just accept everyone one and turn them down later when you have all your options (i could be wrong though dont hold me to it hehe), Yeh has anyone got anything back from eca yet, would be great to know so i can stop worrying! also hows everyone doing with portfolio?
Fiona
Reply 12
Haha yeah same I don't really do organised lol! especially with art, like when you see art rooms that are all neat it's just odd!!
Nah nothing yet but apparently you don't till March cos obv they have a lot to go through.

Ok, well its just cos I thought that UCAS sent stuff to your 1st choice and then they only sent to your second choice if the 1st choice said "no".
But is this not the case??
oh yeah that is the case, but your application should get sent to all your choices, where else have you applied? how you gettin on with portfolio? its nice to talk to someone else in my situation :biggrin:
Reply 14
Oh ok yeah well after panicing I re-read it and it turns out they send it to my 2nd choice on the 30th March so it's all good :smile:

ECA, Grays School of Art (part of Robert Gordons), Wimbledon, Telford and Aberdeen College youu?

Yeah it's ok well I have my portfolio review on the 3rd for Wimbledon so it's already half done. But by the time (if) I get a interview at ECA i'll have more work :smile: and also they allow you to take a lot more that Wimbledon do so it'll be better, hows yours?

I know I don't know anyone that might be going :s-smilie:
well im kinda being a bit stupid and only applying to edinburgh for degree im also applying for foundation in newcastle, cos thats near where i live. my portfolios going ok, got 19 pages done but no commentary as yet (im working on it :smile:) wat kind of stuff have you included in your portfolio?? mines mainly figurative which might be a down point i dunno, but ppl keep saying play to your strengths MAN art school is confusing, uni is so simple to get into HA we suffer for our art :smile:
Reply 16
Ah ok, yeah same with me and Wimbledon it's like a hour away but i'm from Scotland hence why I want to go back :smile:
Oh cool well I have like 17 A1 sheets for Wimbledon but that's cos they only let you have up to 20. Well basically a lot of my stuff is 3D like i've been working on really massive stuff cos thats what I enjoy so i've had to take photographs of EVERYTHING. Then I have a lot of life drawing and other photography cos I take that as well. Wimbledon wont let me take anything small or anything folded up, but hopefully Edinburgh do? I'm not sure.

I know like all my friends going to uni and they all have offers and have accepted and it's like instant. With art college you have to send it off like months later then wait for interviews then go then wait some more! But oh well it's all worth it :smile:
Reply 17
I'm applying from Finland so I'm a bit nervous about interviews and such! And I really have no idea about art schools over there... I'm applying to a few here in Finland as well, but I really hope I get into Edinburgh. :smile:

I also hope that my grades and such are going to be ok for them. I did send them an email asking if I should apply for first year studies or straight to second year (I'm currently on a one-year folk high school photography course, which is sort of like a foundation I guess but mostly concentrated on photography with a couple of weeks of drawing/painting/film) and they said second year. Meep!

I'm thinking this coming week we might start getting replies!
Reply 18
Oh thats good :smile: well i'm doing a foundation cos I want to try everything and find out exactly what I want to do that way. Well I mean I have a rough idea but i'm not certain. I'm taking photography just now too :smile:

Oh do you get a telephone interview then or are you gonna come over? It's good to know that people come from all over though :smile:

I hope so cos then I can start sorting things out, well if I get an interview GAH
Reply 19
I guess I might be given the opportunity to do a telephone interview, but really I'd rather just come over! The interviews are basically just talking over your work from your portfolio to the interviewers, which might be a bit strange over the phone. :biggrin:

I thought first year studies might be interesting too, but then again I already know I want to do photography. :smile: And that's where my skills lie, I guess I can draw some squiggles if I feel like it but I have no practice in that (or painting, or really any other specific visual art area) so I reckoned I have a better chance of getting in when applying straight to 2nd year photography than FYS!

Latest