The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
didgeridoo12uk
basically the design 'stuff'
the reason there are soo many courses is that designing a bridge, and designing a computer chip, require different knowledge and skills

Oh okay.
SillyFencer
Engineers like to be engineers (excuse the tautology).

But generally, the pay is crap, the work is dirty and in uncomfortable working conditions. Basically doing a highly skilled job, but without any of the usual perks (like a nice office).

Software engineers?
Reply 22
ShaolinTemple
Software engineers?

Are not engineers.
Reply 23
Slaughter of the English language.
Reply 24
Sine
:s-smilie:

Just raging at the misconception. Engineers are vital for the maintenance, and further development, of human society. Physicists, Chemists, Mathematicians and Biologists might discover things but its Engineers who actually work out a viable way to use them in real life.
----------------
Now playing: Apocalyptica - Burn via FoxyTunes
SillyFencer
:rolleyes: There's always one person who feels it necessary to point out an extreme case when you make a general statement.

how is that an extreme statement. you can look up starting salaries on various websites for different universities and courses.

literally everyone in this company has a nice office there are some 'open plan' areas though which i would hate to be in. and i've asked a couple of them and they say its pretty standard.
the salary isnt high is it?
Reply 27
didgeridoo12uk
how is that an extreme statement. you can look up starting salaries on various websites for different universities and courses.

literally everyone in this company has a nice office there are some 'open plan' areas though which i would hate to be in. and i've asked a couple of them and they say its pretty standard.

Why should I look anything up? If you make a claim, be prepared to back it up. What you are describing is designers and architects, not your typical engineer. They would be in a workshop somewhere, not an office.
Reply 28
DUUUUUUUUUUUUDEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE Civil Engineering rocks :biggrin:
DOUBLE NEGATIVE

*runs about screaming*
SillyFencer
Why should I look anything up? If you make a claim, be prepared to back it up. What you are describing is designers and architects, not your typical engineer. They would be in a workshop somewhere, not an office.

i work in an mainly electronice engineering company, sure we have workshops, but alot of work is done on computers in offices these days.

running simulations, designing stuff on various computer programs, doing research etc. engineers dont just go into a workshop and chuck alot of stuff together and hope it works. a hell of alot of research goes into everything that they do, and most things are done in simulation before they are actually made
Reply 31
BrightGirl
the salary isnt high is it?

It can get fairly high if you get promoted, but to get the most money you have to move into management in an Engineering company, unless you are an absolute genius and get all sorts of major design contracts, then it can pay really well.
----------------
Now playing: Apocalyptica - Peace via FoxyTunes
Reply 32
fL3X
DUUUUUUUUUUUUDEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE Civil Engineering rocks :biggrin:

Yes! :five:
----------------
Now playing: Apocalyptica - Ural (Bonus Track) via FoxyTunes
SillyFencer

for a not particulary amazing university in the USA, here are the starting salaries for engineers.
http://www.adors.gatech.edu/assessment/adors/commencement/salary_report_result.cfm?college=3&level=2&surveyid=13&Submit=Submit

and obviously better universities will have higher starting salaries
azhao
It can get fairly high if you get promoted, but to get the most money you have to move into management in an Engineering company, unless you are an absolute genius and get all sorts of major design contracts, then it can pay really well.

how high is fairly high? :o:

also, what about things like aeronautical engineering? I was always under the impression it stayed around the £30,000 mark, but I don't actually know anything...:p:
Reply 35
Since when? I know more people applying for engineering than law and medicine put together.
Reply 36
BrightGirl
how high is fairly high? :o:

also, what about things like aeronautical engineering? I was always under the impression it stayed around the £30,000 mark, but I don't actually know anything...:p:
It can go up to about £60,000 I think, thats if you stay as an Engineer in a company.
Reply 37
didgeridoo12uk
for a not particulary amazing university in the USA, here are the starting salaries for engineers.
http://www.adors.gatech.edu/assessment/adors/commencement/salary_report_result.cfm?college=3&level=2&surveyid=13&Submit=Submit

and obviously better universities will have higher starting salaries

Sorry, but I think you are looking at that through rose tinted glasses. That's the best you are seeing, they are in America (we are not) and that gives no indication of the average starting salary. Most engineers end up comfortable, but not rich.
SillyFencer
Sorry, but I think you are looking at that through rose tinted glasses. That's the best you are seeing, they are in America (we are not) and that gives no indication of the average starting salary. Most engineers end up comfortable, but not rich.

that tells you the average starting salary for that uni. and its only 35th or somewhere around there in america. so it wont be massively higher than the average. and i know its in america, thats why i plan to move there after graduating.

i was just trying to point out that salaries for engineers aren't always crap.
yeh obviously if someone goes to oxford brookes or somewhere like that then they are gonna get a crap salary.
Reply 39
didgeridoo12uk
that tells you the average starting salary for that uni. and its only 35th or somewhere around there in america. so it wont be massively higher than the average. and i know its in america, thats why i plan to move there after graduating.

i was just trying to point out that salaries for engineers aren't always crap.
yeh obviously if someone goes to oxford brookes or somewhere like that then they are gonna get a crap salary.

Personally, I'd want more money than that to move across the world. lol.

But yeah, you make a good point, that they are not always crap paid, but really there are a lot of crap paid engineers on the go. This partly answers the question in the title.