The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Because most people think an engineer is the man who fixes your boiler and overcharges you for an MOT.
mr-tom
Because most people think an engineer is the man who fixes your boiler and overcharges you for an MOT.

Most people think that being a doctor is just giving prescriptions, and working in a hospital.
Most people think that being a lawyer is just standing in court and arguing your case and winning it.
Reply 3
im so academic
Most people think that being a doctor is just giving prescriptions, and working in a hospital.
Most people think that being a lawyer is just standing in court and arguing your case and winning it.

That's because it is... :lolwut:

A mechanic is not an engineer.
Reply 4
I hate the misconception that Engineers are Mechanics. Also some people might see it as a "dirty" job, which requires lots of standing outside or hard physical work.
Reply 5
mr-tom

An mechanic is not an enegineer.

^^
Reply 6
im so academic
Well - high salaries, lots of development in the industry, sought after, good working environment etc

Why don't people like to be enigneers? It's mainly the doctor/lawyer fiasco these days.

Engineers like to be engineers (excuse the tautology).

But generally, the pay is crap, the work is dirty and in uncomfortable working conditions. Basically doing a highly skilled job, but without any of the usual perks (like a nice office).
mr-tom

QFT. People often think that anyone who does things like that is an engineer. Not very impressive.
Reply 8
Higgy90
^^

:frown:
mr-tom

A mechanic is not an engineer.

Exactly, it's a misconception.
Reply 10
azhao
I hate the misconception that Engineers are Mechanics. Also some people might see it as a "dirty" job, which requires lots of standing outside or hard physical work.

What does an engineer actually do?I mean there's like so many different 'engineering' courses...there's chemical engineering,civil,mechanical..:confused:
Reply 11
An engineer is different from a technician. Think most ppl do not like techs because they seem dishonest etc.
mr-tom

i reckon thats it. i wish the government would do something about it, and only let people who have spent 4 years doing an engineering degree call themselves engineers.
the rest should be technicians or something.

but i dont see them doing that anytime soon
Reply 13
Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

Edit: Raging at the misconception for whoever negged me
Reply 14
im so academic

lol, slightly different?

What he said is something that would annoy you (ripping you off) i.e a negative thing whereas what you said is respectable and highly skilled..i.e a positive thing.

Also i know of many "electrical engineers" which they name theirself, and many others do when they are infact electricions.

Also boileer fixers or whatever often get called heating engineers or something.

This makes quite a lot of the general population not know what they actyually are, for example my brother's friend did it at university andf my brother found out and wish he had done it, but he never knew about them...If you don't come somewhere like TSR and go to an average school you are quite unlikely to know what an engineer actually does.
SillyFencer
Engineers like to be engineers.

But generally, the pay is crap, the work is dirty and in uncomfortable working conditions. Basically doing a highly skilled job, but without any of the usual perks (like a nice office).

i have a nice office. most engineers do.

the pay isnt crap. starting salary in america (if you graduate from a decent uni) is about $75k
Reply 16
azhao
Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

:s-smilie:
Sine
What does an engineer actually do?I mean there's like so many different 'engineering' courses...there's chemical engineering,civil,mechanical..:confused:

basically the design 'stuff'
the reason there are soo many courses is that designing a bridge, and designing a computer chip, require different knowledge and skills
Reply 18
didgeridoo12uk
i have a nice office. most engineers do.

the pay isnt crap. starting salary in america (if you graduate from a decent uni) is about $75k

:rolleyes: There's always one person who feels it necessary to point out an extreme case when you make a general statement.
Reply 19
Sine

Basically Chemical engineers spend their time cooking things (apparently that was Chem Eng coursework at Cambridge), Civil Engineers can either be consultants or contractors, consultants design and plan maintenance of Civil Engineering projects, contractors do the actual building/maintenence. Mechanical Engineers are the closest you get to the "stereotypical" image of Engineers, but even that isn't very close.
----------------
Now playing: Apocalyptica - Burn via FoxyTunes

Latest