The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

ACTUAL week in the life of UCL student...

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
law?
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Reply 81
9mm
Degree Course:
How much free time u get on average/how often you get to go out/where you go:

Wow! :eek3: Oops I quoted the wrong bit! Meant to quote 'we work 85-100 hours a week'!
Reply 82
Biochemistry? Anyone?
Reply 83
Biochem/ Neorscience/ Biomed:
Can't really answer very detailed questions, the modules run on a different timetable now, but some general stuff:
You'll all have a very similar schedule, as a lot of 1st year courses are shared across the faculty. A lot of practicals, normally 2-3 afternoons a week, in an unlucky week you can have a practical every afternoon, especially in first term, second term is more tame as chemistry labs are finished by then. The general way it goes is lectures in the morning, practicals after lunch. A lot of labs means a lot of coursework, so it's worth keeping a track of your deadlines. In BIOC1001 study for the moodle tests, the exam isn't worth that much, but on the bright side it's a multiple choice non-negatively marked pisstake.
The Neuro lot can pick only 0.5 unit Chemistry, but instead they do a compulsory 2nd year Physiology module (oh the winter test in that is a proper bitch).
Biochem people complained about 1007 coursework, so make friends with a 2nd year Pharmacology or Neuroscience student, they'll draw a Scatchard plot for you.
And Biomed is pretty cool, compulsory Anatomy in the creepy Rockefeller dissection room aside. And you can pick what you want to do at any point, or graduate with a broad degree. In first year (applies also to Neuro ppl) go to your pharm tutorials, they'll go over exam stuff a million times there.

Find out who's the teaching administrator for your degree and for anything major contact them in the first instance, they all live in the biosciences teaching office now. Staff is generally approachable, so when you don't understand after looking up in a textbook or on pubmed, email your lecturer- they won't bite your heads off, they may laugh at you a little while sipping coffee at the laptop, but they'll usually answer pretty quickly and possibly save your exam mark.
Reply 84
pure_joy
Biochem/ Neorscience/ Biomed:
Can't really answer very detailed questions, the modules run on a different timetable now, but some general stuff: ...

Awesome! Thank you very much, pure_Joy!
Reply 85
star_5
Wow! :eek3: Oops I quoted the wrong bit! Meant to quote 'we work 85-100 hours a week'!

Lots of physical and mental determination is pretty much essential. :p:
Reply 86
reneewe
Medicine anyone?

Monday: 9am-11am lectures, 11-12 break, 12-1 lecture, 1-2 lunch break, 2-5 lectures and labs

Tuesday: 9-12 lectures and labs, 12-2 break, 2-4 lectures

Wednesday: 9-11 lectures and labs, 12-1 lecures, From 1 free for the afternoon so reading and doing SPL exercises

Thursday: 9-12:30 PDS at your allocated hopsital site, 2-5 Student Selected Component (ssc)

Friday- 9-12 lectures and labs, 12-2 break, 2-4 lectures and labs

It's a lot more fun than it sounds honestly! Any q's just message me.
Reply 87
seriously, where are all the engineers?
Reply 88
Snowfiend
Monday: 9am-11am lectures, 11-12 break, 12-1 lecture, 1-2 lunch break, 2-5 lectures and labs

Tuesday: 9-12 lectures and labs, 12-2 break, 2-4 lectures

Wednesday: 9-11 lectures and labs, 12-1 lecures, From 1 free for the afternoon so reading and doing SPL exercises

Thursday: 9-12:30 PDS at your allocated hopsital site, 2-5 Student Selected Component (ssc)

Friday- 9-12 lectures and labs, 12-2 break, 2-4 lectures and labs

It's a lot more fun than it sounds honestly! Any q's just message me.

Thanks Snowfiend! I've been hoping for a reply for awhile now:yep: What does the PDS and SSC entail exactly? ie. will you be attending lectures for SSC or more of personal study? Sorry I just can't find much info about how the SSC is carried out :o:
Reply 89
reneewe
Thanks Snowfiend! I've been hoping for a reply for awhile now:yep: What does the PDS and SSC entail exactly? ie. will you be attending lectures for SSC or more of personal study? Sorry I just can't find much info about how the SSC is carried out :o:

No worries :smile:

An SSC is a module that you get to pick yourself out of a list of about 20 choices. It's basically a chance for you to personalise the course. Normally the SSC will involve some lectures and group discussions over 8 weeks, each Thursday afternoon. You get graded on your SSC by the completion of assignments such as set essays or presentations to the rest of your SSC class. Some SSCs will have more personal study than others e.g if you one with a long essay expected. But others such as volunteering are more activity based. You do one SSC in term one, and one in term 2. Some SSCs run over two blocks though, such as if you chose to do a language. There are loads of choices, this year I did 'Anatomy in Art' where my grade was based on a artwork I produced at the end of the course- this one was lecture based, and 'Euthanasia' where we had to write fact sheets and then either do a presentation or an essay. Euthanasia was mainly group discussions and sometimes we had people come in to talk to us about different euthanasia related issues.

PDS is Personal Development Spine. This means you learn more about talking to patients, legalities of medicine (eg confidentiality/case law) and also a few practical skills such as how to do abdominal examinations. A lot of PDS is small group work in assigned groups of about 12 students with one tutor (who will usually be a health care professional). PDS also involves some lectures, and visiting a few placements where you spend mornings at GP clinics etc. During the year for PDS you have to complete a portfolio learning diary about what you've learnt during the year, and there are 2 PDS assigned essays you do in terms 1 and 2.

Hope that helps!
Are you excited? UCL is ace.
Reply 90
Snowfiend
No worries :smile:

An SSC is a module that you get to pick yourself out of a list of about 20 choices. It's basically a chance for you to personalise the course. Normally the SSC will involve some lectures and group discussions over 8 weeks, each Thursday afternoon. You get graded on your SSC by the completion of assignments such as set essays or presentations to the rest of your SSC class. Some SSCs will have more personal study than others e.g if you one with a long essay expected. But others such as volunteering are more activity based. You do one SSC in term one, and one in term 2. Some SSCs run over two blocks though, such as if you chose to do a language. There are loads of choices, this year I did 'Anatomy in Art' where my grade was based on a artwork I produced at the end of the course- this one was lecture based, and 'Euthanasia' where we had to write fact sheets and then either do a presentation or an essay. Euthanasia was mainly group discussions and sometimes we had people come in to talk to us about different euthanasia related issues.

PDS is Personal Development Spine. This means you learn more about talking to patients, legalities of medicine (eg confidentiality/case law) and also a few practical skills such as how to do abdominal examinations. A lot of PDS is small group work in assigned groups of about 12 students with one tutor (who will usually be a health care professional). PDS also involves some lectures, and visiting a few placements where you spend mornings at GP clinics etc. During the year for PDS you have to complete a portfolio learning diary about what you've learnt during the year, and there are 2 PDS assigned essays you do in terms 1 and 2.

Hope that helps!
Are you excited? UCL is ace.

Wow that got me really hyped up! I mean, I still have to get the grades first but otherwise, I think I'm going to really enjoy UCL (and the super helpful seniors haha) :biggrin:
Reply 91
fu
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 92
Lil' Flo
seriously, where are all the engineers?

Computer Science BSc:

Monday: 10am start, 3pm finish

Tuesday: 4pm (!!!) start, 5pm (!!!) finish. Not much at all.

Wednesday: 9am (ugh) start, 2pm finish

Thursday: 11am start, 3pm finish

Friday: 11am - 1pm.

This is including labs and all. So yeah, not much. Most of the reading and recap I do in the labs and I've already have a good foundation of the programming course (Java) so I breezed through the exams without much reading.
star_5
law?

Do some research and look at page 3 of this thread. I added my usual week as a first year lawyer at UCL.
Reply 94
sadhukar
Computer Science BSc:

Monday: 10am start, 3pm finish

Tuesday: 4pm (!!!) start, 5pm (!!!) finish. Not much at all.

Wednesday: 9am (ugh) start, 2pm finish

Thursday: 11am start, 3pm finish

Friday: 11am - 1pm.

This is including labs and all. So yeah, not much. Most of the reading and recap I do in the labs and I've already have a good foundation of the programming course (Java) so I breezed through the exams without much reading.

Thank you :smile:
Apparently there's an online timetable too, so I'll go have a peek.
Physics anyone??

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending