The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Quite mixed!

What do you want to do at uni?
Reply 2
Law?
Reply 3
Have you considered the international baccalaureate? I'm on it - you'd be able to take english, maths and history, possibly RE if your school provides it, or as an A level along side, but then you'd also take a science, a foreign language and either an art or another subject from humanities, science or language (i'm guessing you'd go for humanities?)

I've been on it since september (HL English, Psyche and Anthropology, SL Maths, Spanish and Bio) and I really like it, and it's only really now that I realise what I good choice it was cos i haven't limited myself at all =] [!]

It all depends on what you want to do in the future, if you think you are academic enough. etc. etc.

Basically, you shd do wot you enjoy, or else you'll end up hating it and being worse off =]

quote or pm me for me q&a / chat!

Gd Luck!

XxxxX
Reply 4
Well_Hello
Eng lit, History, R.S and Maths

Where can these A-levels lead me? (in terms of university and careers beyond)

would appreciate some helpful chat

cheers

Basically any arts course.
Reply 5
But don't switch to the IB. IB is evil.
Reply 6
my school doesnt do IB, but is amazing acedemically so i won't be moving..

also considering economics instead of maths??

considering philosophy at uni, but I don't know much about it, I haven't even done RS GCSE.

or maybe history?

hmm
Reply 7
Well_Hello
Eng lit, History, R.S and Maths

Where can these A-levels lead me? (in terms of university and careers beyond)

would appreciate some helpful chat

cheers

Everything that isn't medicine.
Reply 8
If you're considering philosophy, stick with maths - both have similar methods in terms of logic etc.

Also, if you can maybe it owuld be a good idea to switch to Philosophy and Ethics. I haven't taken the RS course, but I'm guessing that it will all just be philosophy of religion and probably from a highly Judeo-Chrstian perspective. Philosophy and Ethics shyould give you a much broader (and more accurate) idea of what Philosophy is all about.
Reply 9
Malsi101
Quite mixed!

What do you want to do at uni?

not that mixed is it? 3 essay subjects and maths!

not too sure want advice

haha
Reply 10
JayAyy

Thanks that really narrows it down...................:smile:
Reply 11
It is a good combo, don't get me wrong, but A levels are in most cases the access to uni courses so choose wisely.
Reply 12
JayAyy

What about Maths? Do you need FM do to Maths at uni?
Law
History
Politics
Philosophy
English
International Relations
Reply 14
purplefrog

International Relations

What does this involve?

What unis offer it?

cheers helpful stuff
Malsi101
What about Maths? Do you need FM do to Maths at uni?

You don't need FM to do Maths at Uni but they do lower your conditional offer if you did it. ie from AAA to AAB.
Well_Hello
What does this involve?

What unis offer it?

cheers helpful stuff

Essex and Durham offer and so do loads of others.
Here is the Durham page: http://www.dur.ac.uk/sgia/teaching/bainternationalrelations/

I saw that you want to do philosophy at uni (i'm considering too). The best thing I would recommend you to do is read very widely around the subject, see which topics you like and take an interest in. Sophie's World, The Philosophy Files and Philosophy: The Basics are all good introductions to philosophy. I particularly take interest into Philosophy of Religion, Ethics, Philosophy of the Mind and Political Philosophy...

You don't need any particular A Levels to do Phil. but having a maths/science shows you can think rationally and in a systematic manner which is dead useful and having an arts is good as it shows you can articulate yourself. A nice contrast of subjects you got there.
Reply 17
:s
Reply 18
Myth717
:s

?
?
?
Reply 19
Well_Hello
I haven't even done RS GCSE.

really, it makes no difference, i didn't do RS at GCSE and i'm top of my class

the GCSE course and the A-Level courses are completely different and anything that did get covered at GCSE that you may need for A-Level will be re-covered and expanded on so you wont be behind anyone

take what you want, go where you like and for god's sake don't get blindsided by league tables or black lists. I have friend's who've said "i'd love to take art, but its such a soft subject, i'd never get into a decent uni" or "i didn't really feel like i'd fit in but its the university of XYZ, so if they offer me a place, i'll go"

enjoy a-levels! :smile:

Latest