The Student Room Group

Sociology

Hi people :smile:

Im at York Uni, in my second yr now, on a single/straight Sociology three-year course (which could so easily be compressed into two but hey :cool: )

I did politics as half of my first yrs syllabus - did ok, i got 62 for the end of the year - considerably good because the previous three years of my academic life were pathetic and my mind went to waste a bit.

In Sociology, im currently on a middle 2:1, and if i put the right amount of work in, it will probably be a high 2:1 (but i have no excuses with the amount of spare time i have for independent work to use for assessment essays).

Anyways, im doing Sociology at York University - one of the top three or four departments offering this in the country the last time i looked, and on the whole, york holds good status etc.

But will employers just dismiss Sociology as "mickey mouse"? I don't really have a clue what i want career-wise which is probably why i chose such a diverse course, i don't believe its "mickey-mouse" in content, but hours-wise per week (6) and specificity-wise, it possibly could be interpreted as a "mickey-mouse" course.

Is Sociology useless?

Thankyou - im fed up of my housemates ripping it out of Social Science course. I'm intelligent (i think!), and those who are perhaps more "solid" or secure in career outlook (perhaps the physicists, potential lawyers, engineers), should consider themselves very very lucky to know what pathway they wish to travel along.

Reply 1
Well most artsa/social science courses seem to have those kinds of hours. You can put as much or as little work in as you want outside that. :smile:

This site has some info on what you could do with a sociology degree:

http://www.prospects.ac.uk/cms/ShowPage/Home_page/Options_with_your_subject/Your_degree_in_sociology/Introduction/p!ejpdia
Reply 2
Im going to study Sociology @ warwick. personally i like the course :biggrin: Hows ur feeling about that?
Reply 3
i think it is a womans subject
No Indian it isn't - "Sociology" - the name its given sounds feminine like i agree, but its content is certainly not feminine. It covers alot of areas, albeit not deep, economics, politics, globalization, capitalism, religion, all sorts

Indian thats just a stupid comment to make, because it really isn't a "woman's subject" - even though alot of women occupy the course, its because its wrongfully perceived to be so, and well people end up not doing it because of this ill-perception

What are you doing Indian?
Reply 5
wizard
No Indian it isn't - "Sociology" - the name its given sounds feminine like i agree, but its content is certainly not feminine. It covers alot of areas, albeit not deep, economics, politics, globalization, capitalism, religion, all sorts

Indian thats just a stupid comment to make, because it really isn't a "woman's subject" - even though alot of women occupy the course, its because its wrongfully perceived to be so, and well people end up not doing it because of this ill-perception

What are you doing Indian?

I studied Sociology at a-level and i found it a womans subject not enough getting down to it. I am currently studying law with International studies.
Womans subject - what do you mean by "womans subject". Im not getting at you, just curiousity thats all. A level sociology i definately argue that it is a weak subject, but i feel its different at university - where i am its ok and not a "womans subject".
Reply 7
I was wondering if any of you could help me. I'm doing my AS Sociology homework and i can't find the answer to this question:

"What is the difference between the 'nature/nurture' debate relating to gender and educational achievement?"

Any help would be appreciated
Ems x
shouldnt it be sex and educational achievement? Gender implies behaviour, associated behaviour etc.

With the Internet, you can't find the answer?!! hehe = thats a good one.
Family wealth, for example acquiring educational tools and resources, books and the alike - thats all part of the nurture - achievement helped through family circumstances,
Its a class issue - wealth comes into it, how the parents are but i think parenting is very important, but obviously you get nature issues, i.e. some dyslexia holds some people back, and other innate problems/issues.

Latest

Trending

Trending