The Student Room Group

Help! What A Levels should I take?

hii, :smile:
Im not sure what degree I want to do yet at uni, but i defo want to go. Im thinkin of the police/forensics/ law or politics for a future career.
history---- definately doing
Biology-- definately doing
My options are:
LIST]
chemistry--- worried it might be reallllllyyyy hard
psychology
sociology
french
politics

Im predicted As in my GCSEs, please help, general advice!! :smile: x
Reply 1
www.ucas.co.uk

Course search

Look for your desired courses, at uni's - you'll notice a pattern in subjects required etc.
for law/politics - you should do English lit as well as history

I think forensics require chemistry, but not too sure

french is good to have, as it's a language
Reply 3
Isn't chemistry needed for forensics anyway? :s-smilie:
If so, then I guess you have to take it (I need confirmation though).

Your 4th choice, I would say maths, but because it is not on the list, French is the next best thing.
History
English Lit
Biology
Chemistry
Reply 5
history, bio, french, chem/english lit.?
tht would be a good combo for law and forensics i think...
Reply 6
french is good to have, as it's a language

Never?!?!?

OP: I think you have very good ''definite'' choices atm. Regarding your last two, I think you should take Chemistry as it is a great subject and will complement biology as well as be useful to you for Forensics.
Your last one should be something you enjoy/have an interest in: I know with the first two this might be the case, but the first two you've chosen are really respected and require a lot of work so don't worry about going for something ''easier'', because you already have good respected subjects to set you up for a good uni course.
Reply 7
I really really dont like English though :frown: soo taking it at A Level would be a misery!!

and Maths, would be too much for me, i'll be lucky to get a B at GCSE; I have the worst teacher ever!
Mathematics would be good. It shows your an all-rounded person instead of restricting your choices to essay-based or a subject which doesn't involve problem-solving. Someone who has Maths, History and Biology has a better chance than someone who has Law, History, Politics if they wish to apply for Law at a top uni.
Reply 9
I would do Politics if your predicted an A in your GCSE. And I know it sounds corny but do the subjects you actually enjoy, unless a course you want to do states that a certain subject you don't enjoy is essential.

Can you make your decision re a-level choices after you've done your GCSEs, because you might be in a better position to determine your strengths.

Hope it goes well.
Reply 10
I have a taster day at my sixth form next week, so hopefully this will help me decide what i definately want to do :smile:

i know french would be quite good but is it really necessary? aren't other subjects better like politics for instance?
do the ones you love, otherwise sixth form will be miserable!

french will be really hard - so will sciences
I do politics and it's pretty soft, to be honest
Do:
History
Politics
Eng Lit
Maths
I suggest, seeing as i am going for a bit of Forensics or Medicine in the future:

Biology
Chemistry
History
French <----- helpful to achieve higher and can help when dealing with different things

(personally, is Math's an option for you? if so, i suggest that as it is a good A Level to have to fall back on if you need it, as many jobs require mathematics these days)

Hope this helps :smile:
Reply 14
Hi I have the same problems , I want a future in computing i need four a-levels , so far i have chosen A-level Computing and Business. I need two more. ( I am thinking law but that's only if i get a B in English) HELP !!!
Reply 15
Dance, Media and Psychology.
Reply 16
History, Biology, Chemistry & either Politics or French. I'd do French as it is good to have a language, because Uni's often accept a person with a language more readily over someone without a language. Look up course requirements at different Uni's though, you may need something completely different to do your chosen course..

I realise you have probably already chosen as you started this thread in 2009... But I'm tryna up my number of posts. :smile:
Reply 17
Original post by ClueLesss
Hi I have the same problems , I want a future in computing i need four a-levels , so far i have chosen A-level Computing and Business. I need two more. ( I am thinking law but that's only if i get a B in English) HELP !!!

Maths would probably be really useful for a career in computers. :smile:
But look up those course requirements - do you want to go to Uni? Here is ucas website: www.ucas.co.uk

Quick Reply

Latest