The Student Room Group

Scottish Highers - AAAAB in one sitting?

My target grades are AAAA but my Maths target is C atm. I think it'd be better doing two Advanced Highers and spending more time on Maths next year, but would this blow my Oxford chances? Do I need to sit all five Highers and get really good grades in them in one year?

I've been told this only applies to medicine applicants. :confused:

Thanks. (I'd be applying for English Lit :smile:).
Reply 1
Maths higher's alright, just work through Heinmann and you'll be fine. I think it matters more if you get a bad mark in a relevant subject (someone I know wasn't interviewed for maths and compsci when they got a B in physics, despite As in maths&comp, another wasn't interviewed for maths when they had 4highers in comp, maths, chem, phys. That's all personal exp etc - disclaimer). It's prob too late now, but you should never ever let teachers set you down officially as aiming for a low mark - this really screws up your chances of appeal and makes you look rubbish on applications. You should be able to sit 5 highers in one sitting really; they're not really that bad.
Reply 2
I don't think they're too bothered about less relevant subjects - I'm doing English here at the moment and I got Bs in Maths and Biology Higher.

Just do as many past papers as you can get your hands on and you'll be fine in Maths though. :smile:
Reply 3
Thank you for your replies, but I will not be prepared for Maths this year - I got 14% in the Prelim.

I've already decided to do it next year, along with Advanced Highers in English and French; what I'm wondering is whether I have to do it this year, or they'll accept AAAA and give me a conditional for Maths next year ...?

The Careers Adviser told me earlier today to contact the Admissions Department at Oxford, so I may do just that. :smile:
ArcadiaHouse
Thank you for your replies, but I will not be prepared for Maths this year - I got 14% in the Prelim.

I've already decided to do it next year, along with Advanced Highers in English and French; what I'm wondering is whether I have to do it this year, or they'll accept AAAA and give me a conditional for Maths next year ...?

The Careers Adviser told me earlier today to contact the Admissions Department at Oxford, so I may do just that. :smile:

Do you even have to do maths. Can't you just do a crash higher in another subject?
Reply 5
Scottish qualifications

In general, we are looking for a level of performance around grade AAAAB or AAAAA in Scottish Highers, usually supplemented by two or more Advanced Highers. Offers made to candidates on the basis of the Advanced Higher subjects are likely to be set at AA for two subjects, and AAB for three subjects. Applicants with Scottish Highers but no Advanced Highers are advised to get in touch with the Tutor for Admissions at their likely college of preference to discuss their application.
http://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate_courses/courses/courses_and_entrance_requirements/index.html#ascottish_qualifications
You might not have to actually do maths, i'd contact the uni and make sure. No point struggling on with it next year when you could be focusing on your advanced highers instead.
Reply 7

Thank you, but does that mean all in one year, or your first attempt at sitting the final exam for each subject? :confused: I'm very confused. My friend says it doesn't matter when they're sat, it's the grade you get for it first time, but the Careers Adviser said to e-mail them ASAP so it looks like I'll be doing that.

The Careers Adviser suggested dropping Maths and crashing something else ... Hmm ... Maybe RMPS? I think all I need is practice at Maths (a lot of it, admittedly); our school didn't get any study leave at all, but obviously I had trouble picking it up during the year. I was looking forward to a maths-free sixth year: gutted.

However, sixth years who dropped it this time last year say everything has clicked into place second time around, so hopefully that'll work for me. :smile:

Thanks for all your replies.
Reply 8
Very few Scottish applicants are made offers solely on the basis of Highers: although AAAAB / AAAAA are acceptable qualifications, offers to Scottish applicants will almost always be made on Advanced Highers - AAB if you're taking three, or AA if you're only taking two.

In that sense, Highers are treated a bit like AS-levels. It's true that medicine tutors normally expect applicants to be taking their three A2s in one sitting, but there's no one-sitting requirement for standard Highers because they're not really the same level qualification. Tutors won't particularly care whether your Highers are taken all in one sitting - so long as you're going to get AA+ in Advanced Highers in one sitting in your final school year, you're fine. :smile:

English tutors are unlikely to be bothered if you discontinue maths. If you like the subject and are motivated by it, and you think you can turn around your performance, keep it up, but if there are other options available to you there's no point jeopardising your final grades.
Reply 9
pf1
Very few Scottish applicants are made offers solely on the basis of Highers: although AAAAB / AAAAA are acceptable qualifications, offers to Scottish applicants will almost always be made on Advanced Highers - AAB if you're taking three, or AA if you're only taking two.

In that sense, Highers are treated a bit like AS-levels. It's true that medicine tutors normally expect applicants to be taking their three A2s in one sitting, but there's no one-sitting requirement for standard Highers because they're not really the same level qualification. Tutors won't particularly care whether your Highers are taken all in one sitting - so long as you're going to get AA+ in Advanced Highers in one sitting in your final school year, you're fine. :smile:

English tutors are unlikely to be bothered if you discontinue maths. If you like the subject and are motivated by it, and you think you can turn around your performance, keep it up, but if there are other options available to you there's no point jeopardising your final grades.

Thank you so much for this detailed response: you have put my mind at rest.
Reply 10
Most welcome.

Also, just to add:

ArcadiaHouse
My friend says it doesn't matter when they're sat, it's the grade you get for it first time

If you re-take a subject, it'll be the final grade you get which counts, not necessarily what you got in the first sitting. (i.e., the better grade is considered, even if it took you two attempts to get it.)
pf1
If you re-take a subject, it'll be the final grade you get which counts, not necessarily what you got in the first sitting. (i.e., the better grade is considered, even if it took you two attempts to get it.)

Really? :eek: Thanks! I have heard conflicting opinions on this ...

I received a rather unhelpful reply from Oxford: they just copied and pasted what was on their website. :frown: It looks like I need a fifth Higher, but hopefully they'll accept it if I sit it next year. I e-mailed Cambridge too for the hell of it and I received a nice reply, implying that I don't need another Higher. :\ I'll e-mail them again later.
Reply 12

Really? Thanks! I have heard conflicting opinions on this ...
Cambridge ask you for all your as and A level module results, including resits and dropped subjects, and so are obviously aware of resits. I can't say any further how much weight they'd put on resits as a negative factor, other than that since they've specifically asked for them they'll want to bear them in mind. I don't know how exams for scottish system work, but at a level resitting a module can normally be done pretty discretely ('cept your final summer exams, of course) - you don't declare it on ucas and the higher score (original or resit) is the one that counts.
thomasjtl
Cambridge ask you for all your as and A level module results, including resits and dropped subjects, and so are obviously aware of resits. I can't say any further how much weight they'd put on resits as a negative factor, other than that since they've specifically asked for them they'll want to bear them in mind. I don't know how exams for scottish system work, but at a level resitting a module can normally be done pretty discretely ('cept your final summer exams, of course) - you don't declare it on ucas and the higher score (original or resit) is the one that counts.

What are 'module results'? Class tests you do throughout the school year?

Thanks for your reply.
Reply 14
ArcadiaHouse
What are 'module results'? Class tests you do throughout the school year?

Thanks for your reply.

It's referring to A levels, which are modular...but obviously Highers aren't, it's all about the final exam etc. I think you'd probably be fine doing your four Highers this year, and two AHs plus another Higher next year (would you consider doing three AHs instead, by the way?)
Reverie.
It's referring to A levels, which are modular...but obviously Highers aren't, it's all about the final exam etc. I think you'd probably be fine doing your four Highers this year, and two AHs plus another Higher next year (would you consider doing three AHs instead, by the way?)

At our school, if we do three AHs, we're not allowed to do anything else on top of that. Everyone I've spoken to has advised against it: I think only those with eight 1s at Standard Grade are allowed to do three AHs. :\ I'd be doing AH English, French and Geography, but our school only offers AH English out of those, so I'd have to go to another school for the other two. >_> Our school really only offers science AHs.

Anyway, I think if two AHs are acceptable, then there wouldn't really be any point breaking my neck to do another one in a subject I'm not really fussed about (i.e. Geography). :smile:
Reply 16
ArcadiaHouse
At our school, if we do three AHs, we're not allowed to do anything else on top of that. Everyone I've spoken to has advised against it: I think only those with eight 1s at Standard Grade are allowed to do three AHs. :\ I'd be doing AH English, French and Geography, but our school only offers AH English out of those, so I'd have to go to another school for the other two. >_> Our school really only offers science AHs.

Anyway, I think if two AHs are acceptable, then there wouldn't really be any point breaking my neck to do another one in a subject I'm not really fussed about (i.e. Geography). :smile:

Okay, just thought it might make up for the lack of Highers if it was a viable option, but fair enough. :smile: Maybe Maths wouldn't be the best Higher to do next year though, as they'd probably give you a conditional on it (and your two AHs) being an A.
Hi guys!

I'm new to the whole education system here in Scotland and I was wondering how difficult are Advanced Highers compared to Highers?

I was planning on taking 3 Advanced Highers next year (Chemistry, Physics and Maths) and I want to do an additional 2-3 Highers (Human Biology, Psychology and either Spanish or German) but I'm not quite sure if that's doable since I need to get all A's (preferably all A1's) if I want to go on and do Medicine at Cambridge. I'm expecting on getting AAAAB this year (the B is for Maths) and so I feel like I need to do the extra Highers just to make up for that dreadful B. I also have American High School qualifications (no SATs though) and an IB certificate with 6's and 7's (no diploma though) so I hope that with all of that I might still have a shot at Cambridge but like I asked earlier, is that really doable?

All advice and opinions appreciated! Thank you! :smile:
Original post by debbieroo7994
Hi guys!

I'm new to the whole education system here in Scotland and I was wondering how difficult are Advanced Highers compared to Highers?

I was planning on taking 3 Advanced Highers next year (Chemistry, Physics and Maths) and I want to do an additional 2-3 Highers (Human Biology, Psychology and either Spanish or German) but I'm not quite sure if that's doable since I need to get all A's (preferably all A1's) if I want to go on and do Medicine at Cambridge. I'm expecting on getting AAAAB this year (the B is for Maths) and so I feel like I need to do the extra Highers just to make up for that dreadful B. I also have American High School qualifications (no SATs though) and an IB certificate with 6's and 7's (no diploma though) so I hope that with all of that I might still have a shot at Cambridge but like I asked earlier, is that really doable?

All advice and opinions appreciated! Thank you! :smile:

You don't need to do 3 extra Highers bro. 3 AHs and 1 H is enough.

Cambridge care more about your bands than whether you have AAAAB vs all As, so to be competitive you would need about 3 A1s (roughly) in the Highers you are sitting currently.

Your IB certs aren't going to help with admissions because they aren't a part of the full diploma - the Scottish quals you are taking should suffice.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending