The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Does any one remember the solicitor one, which was like this? The one which asked law firms where they preferred to take students from?

Thanks

Jason
Reply 21
Yeah that was for LLM though, not LLB/LLF. I'll post it in a min!
Reply 22
THE PROPHETOR!

Does any one remember the solicitor one, which was like this? The one which asked law firms where they preferred to take students from?

Thanks

Jason

From what I remember, that table was entirely useless. Rather predictably, most firms answered "No Preference", or "Established Law Schools".
Reply 23
so...

i went to my first open day yesturday and was talking to one of the law teachers about getting a tenancy etc, and she was telling me how difficult it is to get one but, at the end of the day, its not how well you do in exams (obviously you need to do well, but not top of the top), and not your advocacy skills, or if you get a scholarship, but its who you know high up within the law proffesion!!! how true is this as i know nobody. and if it is, i need ot get some networking in quick!

-cassie
Reply 24
cassie86
so...

i went to my first open day yesturday and was talking to one of the law teachers about getting a tenancy etc, and she was telling me how difficult it is to get one but, at the end of the day, its not how well you do in exams (obviously you need to do well, but not top of the top), and not your advocacy skills, or if you get a scholarship, but its who you know high up within the law proffesion!!! how true is this as i know nobody. and if it is, i need ot get some networking in quick!

-cassie

I think thats a bit of a myth really. "Networking" is nowhere near as important as people seem to think. A top set of chambers will be working for hugely important clients (whether they be governments, corporations, businessmen). They will not want to risk losing such clients because they employed someone on the basis of 'networking', and is as a result useless, instead of their advocacy skills.

Latest