The Student Room Group
De Montfort University
De Montfort University
Leicester
Visit website

The Oadby Halls of Residence - A Historical Look

Thought I'd see if you guys were interested in this.

One thing I've noticed this year is that many of the students living in Oadby, particularly those living in the modern blocks like those in John Foster, don't seem to be aware of the really quite interesting history, or even existence, of some of the older halls. I've got hold of a book from the library which contains some pictures of some of the Edwardian houses attached to the Halls in their heyday, in the hope that it might spur some other students to go exploring round the place some more. There are some really fantastic little spots that very few students know about. Did you know that Manor Road, for example, was 'reputedly the richest road in Europe in the 1920's'! I particularly like some of the interior shots, the Knoll is just fantastic. Many of the buildings have been renamed, Beaumont House, for example, used to be called 'Middlemeade', the interior is still very much recognisable.

Here are the scans:

I've been thinking of making a display based partially on the book, and from what I can dig out of the university archives, for display in the facilities building at John Foster. What do you guys think of that idea? I hope people would be interested. :smile:

All scans are taken from H. Boynton, A Prospect of Oadby (Leicester, 1993)

Scroll to see replies

That's really interesting, I'm not a student at Leicester but have visited and might go there... I have a friend who lived in Digby in his first year. It's always interesting when you find out the history behind an area :smile:
De Montfort University
De Montfort University
Leicester
Visit website
Reply 2
That sounds like a great idea. It would be good for them to know where they are living. I have a few more tidbits.

There is a ghost in the Knoll.
Gary Lineker & Mark Morrisson live on Knighton Grange Road.
Stamford Kitchen didn't get cleaned properly for 4 yrs.
Reply 3
Thats incredible. Deffo going to check that book out when it's back in the library.
Reply 4
dob86

There is a ghost in the Knoll.

Heh yup, it's in the text next to the Knoll interior :smile:
Reply 5
Tomber
Heh yup, it's in the text next to the Knoll interior :smile:

Heh Heh, I can't believe they put students in there this year. It's been derelict for years!
Reply 6
dob86
Heh Heh, I can't believe they put students in there this year. It's been derelict for years!

Eh? There have been students in there since my first year at least?
Reply 7
Tomber
Eh? There have been students in there since my first year at least?

Oh I thought they'd only put students in this year due to the high demand for places. I must be wrong, and I worked for residential services eeek.
Reply 8
dob86
Oh I thought they'd only put students in this year due to the high demand for places. I must be wrong, and I worked for residential services eeek.

Nope, could be thinking of Ashcroft, or Mary Gee?

QI Elf, I can PM you when I take the book back to the library should you so wish?
Reply 9
Tomber
Nope, could be thinking of Ashcroft, or Mary Gee?

QI Elf, I can PM you when I take the book back to the library should you so wish?

Thanks, that'd be great. Don't hurry to take it back though, I wouldn't want you to finish with it just because I want a look.
Reply 10
QI Elf
Thanks, that'd be great. Don't hurry to take it back though, I wouldn't want you to finish with it just because I want a look.

Cool, thanks, I shouldn't be long. If you're interested in this, the same author has also written on other areas of the city. The Histories of London Road and New Walk are particularly interesting. London Road used to be absolutely beautiful. Such a shame to look at it now :frown:
Reply 11
Tomber
Cool, thanks, I shouldn't be long. If you're interested in this, the same authour has also written on other areas of the city. The Histories of London Road and New Walk are particularly interesting. London Road used to be absolutely beautiful. Such a shame to look at it now :frown:

Yeah, not the prettiest of all places but I love New Walk. I'd only ever been into town on the bus and the other day my friend took me down it into town and...wow, just wow. It's so amazing.
Reply 12
QI Elf
Yeah, not the prettiest of all places but I love New Walk. I'd only ever been into town on the bus and the other day my friend took me down it into town and...wow, just wow. It's so amazing.

Ah man, you've been missing out. I never walk down London Road. New Walk really is stunning.
Reply 13
Yes, I knew those facts but not about the Knoll.:smile: I think I just assumed that about 49-52% :tongue: of the student population at Oadby and doing (contemporary, local) History at Leicester University would also know these ditties also.:redface:

:yy: for referencing your scanned material source, though I am still a little worried :s-smilie: - you haven't put enough up there (quantity) or an excerpt that should be restricted and protected by Copyright, did you? Just wondering because of the limitations placed on scanned in academic material to Blackboard and excerpts in scientific journals and of textbooks on the net.

:eek: My cupcakes are melting!
Reply 14
Elements
Yes, I knew those facts but not about the Knoll.:smile: I think I just assumed that about 49-52% :tongue: of the student population at Oadby and doing (contemporary, local) History at Leicester University would also know these ditties also.:redface:

Well given that I've studied mainly in the local history department for nearly 4 years, you tend to pick on what people know quite well. These things are not well known in the student body in general I assure you.

:yy: for referencing your scanned material source, though I am still a little worried :s-smilie: - you haven't put enough up there (quantity) or an excerpt that should be restricted and protected by Copyright, did you? Just wondering because of the limitations placed on scanned in academic material to Blackboard and excerpts in scientific journals and of textbooks on the net.

With a local history publication of this nature, and for this purpose it's not an issue. Don't worry yourself about it. I put the reference on in case people wanted to get hold of the book, not for copyright reasons.

Just a though but to be primarily concerned with copyright - or who's profiting from a book seems to totally lose site of the actual purpose of books - that is the simply the diffusion of interesting knowledge. Society as a whole seems to be forgetting that and it's really rather sad.
Thats actually really interesting!! Haha, cheers Tomber :smile:
QI Elf

I live in the city centre and new walk is my walk into uni and back everyday :smile: (Was a bit of a death trap on tuesday though because they hadn't gritted it!!)
Damn I love those buildings. You can see my bedroom in that Middlemeade/Beaumont House picture.

I've cleaned every single one of those houses top to bottom, and lived in half of them!
Reply 18
Pocket Calculator
Damn I love those buildings. them!

Me too, Man I was in Beaumont bar this evening for the first time since the Queen's visit, the carpet they put in really is vile!!
Tomber
Me too, Man I was in Beaumont bar this evening for the first time since the Queen's visit, the carpet they put in really is vile!!

Yup. The old one was, conveniently, dark red (upstairs, anyway) so not even red wine could stain it. This one's far less absorbant as well as being a horiffic colour.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending