The Student Room Group

To attend interview or not?

Hello guys. I'm in a bit of dilemma here.... I have a conditional offer from Manchester Medicine and interview offers from my other 3 universities for medicine (+1 conditional offer from UCL for biomedical science).

The thing I'm not sure about here is whether I should fly to UK (from HK, especially just 1 month before my real exams which I don't think I am even prepared for.....) just to attend 1 interview... The university is SGUL for Medicine.

I'm not sure if it's worth flying there because I know lots of people get interview offers given that they meet the conditions..... my UKCAT also isn't very high (550-60ish) so if I am a borderline I will most probably be rejected.

Thing is.. I have a feeling that I will get rejected because so many people apply there and if I fail to perform to my optimum level I'll probably be rejected...

But if I don't attend the interview, then I will be wasting a (but slim?) chance....

I need advice from you guys please! Also, what typical offers (give IB or A levels only please) do SGUL give?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
if you can definately make the manchester offer then i wouldnt bother attending the other interviews...

but the other med schools might give lower IB offers.... you never know
Reply 2
bean87
if you can definately make the manchester offer then i wouldnt bother attending the other interviews...

but the other med schools might give lower IB offers.... you never know

Yea... that's why I asked about SGUL typical offers. And I don't even know if I can make the offer for manchester at the end cuz I'm not doing that well in Math and Psychology....... that's why I want to save time to revise (rather than spending time preparing for my interview and going there for staying for UK for 3 days plus a go and return trip back which will take 1-2 days...)

Btw my other interview offers are located in HK :biggrin: that's why I'd rather go to that than flying to UK which I don't feel I have enough confidence for...
For IB: Chemistry and Biology must be taken to Higher level and English and Maths to subsidary level unless offered at GSCE. 665 at Higher level & 555 at Sub

For A level: Normal entry requirements are grades AAA at A level with a grade B in a distinct AS level. Chemistry and Biology must be taken, at least one to A level and the other to AS level

Above information obtained from UCAS website:
http://search.ucas.co.uk/cgi-bin/hsrun/search/search/StateId/DGxsxocNXnA2nXiyb8NAwcDUCk5Fm-4M6h/HAHTpage/search.HsEntryReq.run?n=928549#CSRA
Reply 4
billykwok
For IB: Chemistry and Biology must be taken to Higher level and English and Maths to subsidary level unless offered at GSCE. 665 at Higher level & 555 at Sub

For A level: Normal entry requirements are grades AAA at A level with a grade B in a distinct AS level. Chemistry and Biology must be taken, at least one to A level and the other to AS level

Above information obtained from UCAS website:
http://search.ucas.co.uk/cgi-bin/hsrun/search/search/StateId/DGxsxocNXnA2nXiyb8NAwcDUCk5Fm-4M6h/HAHTpage/search.HsEntryReq.run?n=928549#CSRA

Hmm... is it entry requirement that you're talking about? I would like to know about typical offers not entry requirements.
Catchetat
Hmm... is it entry requirement that you're talking about? I would like to know about typical offers not entry requirements.

have you look on their prospectus? i think entry requirement is the same as typical offer o.O either way, i think it is better if you don't attend the interview, you already have offer from manchester, just work hard and get those grades
Reply 6
Can you not ask St George's if they'll do the interview via Video Conference??
Reply 7
cavemonster
Can you not ask St George's if they'll do the interview via Video Conference??

I haven't asked... but I already told them that I would be attending the interview in UK but the admissions officer hasn't replied yet. Should I give them an email and ask whether I could do a video conference?
Reply 8
Catchetat

You're not exactly inticing people to help you....you seem a little ungrateful with the help people are trying to give you.

I personally don't know whether the info the poster before has given you are typical offers, but the typical offers given by each uni usually end up being the same as their minimum entry requirements. Eg if a uni has minimum requirements of AAB at A level then when giving an offer, the conditions will usually also be on achievement of AAB. I may be wrong here (and if I am someone correct me) but I doubt very much they would ever ask for higher than their minimum requirement unless you are a resit student.
Reply 9
xbabydeex
You're not exactly inticing people to help you....you seem a little ungrateful with the help people are trying to give you.

I personally don't know whether the info the poster before has given you are typical offers, but the typical offers given by each uni usually end up being the same as their minimum entry requirements. Eg if a uni has minimum requirements of AAB at A level then when giving an offer, the conditions will usually also be on achievement of AAB. I may be wrong here (and if I am someone correct me) but I doubt very much they would ever ask for higher than their minimum requirement unless you are a resit student.

Okkk.... sorry about the misleading tone back then! I am grateful for his contributions. I guess you could use it as an indicator.... And thanks!

Btw for those who are familiar about SGUL, do minimum entry requirements often resemble the conditional offer?
Reply 10
billykwok
have you look on their prospectus? i think entry requirement is the same as typical offer o.O either way, i think it is better if you don't attend the interview, you already have offer from manchester, just work hard and get those grades

Hmmm I'm not sure about that.... if that is the case maybe I will try and attend the interview because I have a fear of not getting a 6 for math ....
Reply 11
Catchetat
Okkk.... sorry about the misleading tone back then! I am grateful for his contributions. I guess you could use it as an indicator.... And thanks!

Thats ok, you're probably just panicking about it a bit and coming across wrong :smile: Anyway, yeah I guess if you just take the minimum requirements as the likely offer and decide from there. And if you have interviews at home maybe you should miss this one and concentrate on your exams for now, and the interviews near you when you have them. If you mess up your exams and don't get the grades, coming here for the interview definately won't be worth it! Good luck with deciding :smile:
Ask yourself if you had two offers from both Manchester and SGUL, regardless of grades, which once you would take.

If you would still go with Manc then it seems a bit excessive to spend £x on air travel etc., and waste possible exam preparation time, to try and get an offer you don't want.

If this is the case though, it might be an idea to withdraw your application from the other Uni's as well, so you don't have to worry about applying to interview emails and to give someone else the chance of getting that interview spot.
Why not email them to ask about Video Conferencing - what's the harm..?

(Not sure if they do it for sure, but some of the other med schools definately do..)

No idea on average offers - why don't you look at the NMM threads from last year?
If Manchester would be your first choice, I wouldn't bother,

If you prefer SGUL then I would go for it. It is expensive just for an interview, but the cost isn't really significant compared to the amount you will be spending on the whole degree.

You should definitely ask about video conferencing either way.
Reply 15
Catchetat
Hello guys. I'm in a bit of dilemma here.... I have a conditional offer from Manchester Medicine and interview offers from my other 3 universities for medicine (+1 conditional offer from UCL for biomedical science).

The thing I'm not sure about here is whether I should fly to UK (from HK, especially just 1 month before my real exams which I don't think I am even prepared for.....) just to attend 1 interview... The university is SGUL for Medicine.

I'm not sure if it's worth flying there because I know lots of people get interview offers given that they meet the conditions..... my UKCAT also isn't very high (550-60ish) so if I am a borderline I will most probably be rejected.

Thing is.. I have a feeling that I will get rejected because so many people apply there and if I fail to perform to my optimum level I'll probably be rejected...

But if I don't attend the interview, then I will be wasting a (but slim?) chance....

I need advice from you guys please! Also, what typical offers (give IB or A levels only please) do SGUL give?

I wouldn't bother. Its very hard to get an offer Post Interview from SGUL.

You already have an offer.
Go, or you'll always wonder "what if?"
jonnyofengland
Ask yourself if you had two offers from both Manchester and SGUL, regardless of grades, which once you would take.

If you would still go with Manc then it seems a bit excessive to spend £x on air travel etc., and waste possible exam preparation time, to try and get an offer you don't want.

If this is the case though, it might be an idea to withdraw your application from the other Uni's as well, so you don't have to worry about applying to interview emails and to give someone else the chance of getting that interview spot.

This man speaks the troof :yep:
Alex L
This man speaks the troof :yep:

I do try sometimes. :colondollar:
Catchetat

Btw for those who are familiar about SGUL, do minimum entry requirements often resemble the conditional offer?

I wouldn't think so... Its normally that the entry req is greater than the offer... but it depends... IMO u should just try and concentrate on ur exams and get ur grades... coz st geo is hard to get into as it is...

Latest

Trending

Trending