The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hmmm yes spanish would be good. It's hard to help you out because everyone finds different languages easier than others. Do you have any knowledge of any of the languages already? Which do you think you would benefit most from?
personally i would take german as i

a) have no interest in anything french or going to france.
b) have no interest in going to spain for more than a few days at most.
CrazyDancingElf
Hi all...

At the university I am planning to go to I have the opportunity to study a language along side my degree.

The languages offered are: French, German and Spanish.

Could you please help me decide which? I'm currently thinking of Spanish, as it would seem to be more widespread and more useful than the previous two.

Please help.

Thank you.

What is the other part of your degree, and what do you want to do after uni?
Otherwise it doesn't really matter. All are modern and useful languages and any language will attract you to an employer as learning a language proves you have good memory skills, good problem solving skills and are good at expressing yourself.
I would choose German, but then again I'm biased.
Reply 4
spanish will be good, from my point of view its easier than german and french and more people know spanish around the world!
Reply 5
My biased opinion would be to choose German; it's a good little language.
Spanish is apparantly the easiest language to learn (or one of them anyway) and is so useful because it's spoken in the vast majority of South American countries, plus Spain and a few other places :smile: Whereas German's only spoken in... well.. Germany :p:
French is also good, but I think it's harder (personal opinion).
I do Spanish and I find it quite easy, and have tried French and German before.
French will probably be the most popular, and might be harder to get into. On the flipside, however, you'll find a few more people to practise with/ask for help. It seems to go well with philosophers, for some reason - at the end of your degree you might even be able to read some philosophy in French. German seems to sit better with science people (particularly physical and mathematical) or if you have an interest in reading German literature. Spanish is the most widely spoken, but as mentioned above you are unlikely to encounter South Americans. I'd say it is the most similar to English and it definitely helps me decipher some biological terms, and I use it when I go on holiday, but then again I don't go to France and not often Germany. So it depends on your degree, how much effort you're going to put in, and most importantly which one you feel most drawn to (for whatever silly reason).
Reply 8
I'd say French because it's most convenient later in life (business (they often don't speak English), impressing people (German sounds so harsh) and holiday (out of Germany, Spain and France, France is where you'll most likely want to be). That's my opinion though. It's not a fact that France is the best place to go for holiday lol.

That said, I never had the option to study Spanish, or I would have, simply because I like it better (sound, grammar)... and at the moment I'm studying German, which I like least of the three languages, but I was too bad at French to continue doing it and German literature (philosophy) interests me more anyway.
Reply 9
French! :love:

I don't know why, but it's absolutely my favourite language. I think it's really beautiful, and i also find it easy to learn. Saying that, i do enjoy German too - i find the grammar tricky though, particularly the cases.
Reply 10
Zenobia
I'd say French because it's most convenient later in life (business (they often don't speak English), impressing people (German sounds so harsh) and holiday (out of Germany, Spain and France, France is where you'll most likely want to be). That's my opinion though. It's not a fact that France is the best place to go for holiday lol.

That said, I never had the option to study Spanish, or I would have, simply because I like it better (sound, grammar)... and at the moment I'm studying German, which I like least of the three languages, but I was too bad at French to continue doing it and German literature (philosophy) interests me more anyway.

I think exactly the opposite lol
I would go for German personally just because I find it cool and love germany and german people!
But otherwise I would go for Spanish, purely because it is spoken in south america as well and would be very useful for travelling.
Reply 11
I would say spainsh, trust your gut feeling :smile:

also if you ever wanted to work in the US it would be extreamly useful, as many people speak it their who have come from south america
MissW
Saying that, i do enjoy German too - i find the grammar tricky though, particularly the cases.

Shhh! Don't tell them that! :tongue:
Reply 13
Deutsch_Beth
Shhh! Don't tell them that! :tongue:

Might as well be honest! :tongue: I think i'm getting the hang of them though, it's just something that might need a lot of practice!
German! :biggrin:

It's my favourite subject and as for difficulty - if I can do it, you sure as hell can! :nods:
Reply 15
Spanish ! it is supposed to be the easiest one to learn and is widely spoken, sounds so good too :smile:
I'm biased but I'd say German... Depending on the degree you're doing, if you decide to work in Germany, many things are more advanced than in France, Spain or South America.
Reply 17
i took german, mainly because i was already fluent at spanish. If your degree is in any way technical, by all means do german, it will look great in your cv and is an enjoyable (albeit angry sounding) language. If it isnt, then do spanish, imo it is easier.
Spanish or French for holiday purposes and they are more widespread. And IMO they are easier to learn. Both very romantic sounding!

German for business purposes. If grammar is not your thing I'd advise you to stay away from german. But it really is a very interesting and underrated language. And as people have mentioned it sounds angry (and flemmy haha!) but it's great.
Reply 19
emioly
I think exactly the opposite lol
I would go for German personally just because I find it cool and love germany and german people!
But otherwise I would go for Spanish, purely because it is spoken in south america as well and would be very useful for travelling.

I also like Germany! I even like German. I just don't like the sound of the language. I'm Dutch though so that might influence me.

Latest

Trending

Trending