The Student Room Group

How to answer history sources questions? Rep. given to best answer!

Hi.
This is my first attempt at an AS history sources q. I want to know how you're supposed to structure your answers and what the examiners are looking for.

The questions I have are:

1. Study sources B and C. To what extent do these sources disagree about Louis XVI's rule in the origins of the French Revolution?

2. Use all the sources and your own knowledge. 'The financial crises rather than the absolutism of the French monarchy caused Revolution in 1789.' Explain whether you agree or disagree with this statement.

Thanks!
Reply 1
anyone??
Reply 2
Use the sources and your own knowledge. Make sure you do the sources in detail, and look at why they support this view, and why they don't. Perhaps for the longer questions, consider the reliability of the sources.
Which board is this for? Try looking up the mark scheme. :smile:
Ok question 1 is pretty straight forward. You need to write your answer comparing the sources and then analysing whether the messages are concurring or not.
So you might start with something like 'source B suggests that blah blah blah, on the other hand C seems to show this...' etc. The you would want to round up with a summary, making sure you answer the important part of the question, the 'to what extent', so something like 'whilst B and C agree on many points, there are differences that..etc'. Also include the provenance of the sources, so are they primary or secondary? Would the author have a biased opinion? Would it be written for a motive i.e a public source to persuade people?

Question 2 is similar to above, except you obviously want to back up your argument with your own knowledge. make sure the source leads the answer, as in pick up on a point from the source, comment on it in relation to the question then support thiss with some of your own knowledge. Use of quotes etc are all favourable. Also remember to include both sides to the question, try make a somewhat balanced argument- don't spend ages writing a one sided view. Once you have picked out main supporting/ unsupporting points from the sources and written your argument for/against using your own knowledge, write a brief conclusion stating what the stronger argument is. So for example 'sources B C D etc all suggest this, which combined with factors such as *own knowledge* imply that *so and so* had a larger impact than...'
Im sure you get the point. As long as you use the sources and answer the question, analyse and cross-reference you'll do fine.

Hope this all helps!
Reply 4
As Yellow Nushell put it

Question 1 is pretty basic. You need to get a clear understanding of what each source is stating. You will inevitably find two points that are disagree (when I did such questions, I used to have like 4/5 diff highlighter pens and highlight each statement in each source that agreed/disagreed the same colour). Then when you say why they disagree, give a reason and hence a little bit of knowledge but don't make the mistake of throwing in tons of knowledge as ultimately you will be marked on how you use the source.
"To what extent". This implies there are similarities. So start with 'However, source B and C do agree on certain aspects such as etc etc'
I always find a little conclusion helps to sum it all up. Something on the lines of 'Source B and C disagree on certain aspects such blah blah, yet there is evidence in the sources which suggests the two sources agree, those being blah blah. This suggests the two sources predominantly disagree' or vice versa

Now Question 2
its imperative you use the sources for maximum marks. Its similar to the above but this time taking a statement from the source will require knowledge to back it up. Now if you agree, fine, make valid points regarding the source and your own knowledge but balance is a must i.e. 'However to some extent I agree/disagree as (more knowledge)...'
Then do a conclusion but when I do conclusion, I tend to focus more on what I agree or disagree on rather than my opposite view.
Reply 5
thank you you've all been really helpful!
I know this has already been answered for you, but I have a different answer.

For any sources question, use the formula: U=DAC^2
which stands for
Answer = date, author, content, context. Do pros+Cons for both date+author. For Content say what is and what isn't in the source, and for context you explain everything that's happening around in that time.
:smile:
It's really easy to answer when you use that formula.

Latest

Trending

Trending