The Student Room Group

A level choices

Hi there, I put down on my sixth form application P.E. + ICT + Biology + Crit thinking
These are the subjects I think I would enjoy most however recently a few people have told me P.E. and ICT are considered soft subjects by uni's.
We can still change our options after our exams in june, I was thinking of changing ICT to Chemistry and P.E. to Business studies, as third subject don't matter that much I picked Business studies since the schools A-B rate is really high.
Also I would appreciate if someone could tell me what the workload for these subjects would be like.
What do you guys think? Chem + Bio + Business studies and crit thinking.
I'm wanting to go down the science route at uni
Reply 1
Swap business to economics (if possible) as it is more respected and consider taking a second science/maths instead of critical thinking if you want to do a science at uni.
Reply 2
Yes, economics is more highly regarded by universities than business studies is so do consider switching. Also, if you're wanting to following a scientific route at uni maths would be a really useful addition to your application. I would definitely consider taking maths even if you choose to stick with business studies.
i wouldnt do business studies. do economics, or even better maths instead.

and i wouldnt even bother with critical thinking, choose a proper subject for your fourth AS
Reply 4
Sato
Hi there, I put down on my sixth form application P.E. + ICT + Biology + Crit thinking
These are the subjects I think I would enjoy most however recently a few people have told me P.E. and ICT are considered soft subjects by uni's.
We can still change our options after our exams in june, I was thinking of changing ICT to Chemistry and P.E. to Business studies, as third subject don't matter that much I picked Business studies since the schools A-B rate is really high.
Also I would appreciate if someone could tell me what the workload for these subjects would be like.
What do you guys think? Chem + Bio + Business studies and crit thinking.
I'm wanting to go down the science route at uni

You should choose a different subject other than critical thinking, because many will only consider it as a 4th AS, e.g. Cambridge, Warwick & whilst lesser universities will of course accept it you would be advised to take it only as a 5th additional A-Level because
a) Otherwise you have to drop it no matter how much your struggilng with the others or you close a lot of doors
b) You would probally be closing doors by choosing it as a 4th AS anyway because I'm sure uni's would look more favourably on someone who had a different subject for their 4th AS.

If you want to do Science at Uni, then Maths would be extremely useful. And if you want to do Buisness Studies, by all means do it. If your school/college offers Economics and you think you would enjoy it, then its a stronger option than Buisness Studies.

Latest