The Student Room Group
The general rule is that they can take some time, but just how long this will be depends on the chambers. You should certainly expect to hear back from them, whether or not your application is successful.
Reply 2
They can take time, but usually not more than a couple of months, and most replies come quite quickly.

Unfortunatley some sets will never get back to you - this happens with all employers - it does seem rude - but unfortunately thats just the way it is.

I wouldnt chase up - if they are interested they will call you. Just keep applying - and be brutally honest. If you dont have a Russel Group/ Durham degree dont apply to "top" sets for minis. If you don't have an Oxbridge Degree don't apply to "top" sets for pupillage.
Reply 3
I have a first class oxbridge degree and some law related (though not mini-pupillage or solicitor's firm) experience. and haven't applied to top commerical sets etc. but i don't seem to be able to get one. don't know where i'm going wrong. some of them just seemed to have filled up for the whole year already, it's pretty scary. do you have to have a mini pupillage to get one? i'm starting to think so. but it's hard to get on that ladder if you don't have lots of barrister friends!
Reply 4
I don't understand that at all with your credentials.

Firstly I would say your CV needs some serious work - have you a sponsor or anyone like that?

I managed to secure a few - and I worked out which were the "easiest" sets (in terms of being offered) . I dont want to say on the forum or this will no longer be the case but PM me and i will tell you.

Having said that - with only a couple of hundred pupillages last year and another couple of thou coming off the BVC this year to add to the 3 or 4 thou already looking, there are many more hopefulls now wanting more and more minis to give them the edge, and mini pupillage will be hard to come by unless you apply years in advance!!!
Email me with your CV and I will see if I can help. Address on the blog.
Reply 6
I completely sympathise with you! I don't have anything like as strong credentials as you do (2nd year Oxbridge; 2:1 first year, 3 minis so far) but I have sent my CV off to many chambers who completely ignored me, and a respected London set (who are not commercal/chancery) which I shall not name I sent a CV and covering letter to twice, and have not had a response on either occasion!
Ironically enough, I was previously desperate to apply for pupillage there, but now I have my heart set on a chambers with whom I did secure mini-pupillage and had a wonderful time.
Reply 7
one that i applied to a while ago has finally replied! so i'm relieved. it's not until july but at least i have something lined up. seems like you really have to plan ahead, even to arrange 2 days with them! so feeling more positive. thanks everyone for all the advice.

Latest

Trending

Trending