The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
i heard loads of people getting rejected by Bristol Looks like its very hard to get into
J234
I'm sure they could use module grades if they wanted to, just on a case by case basis. i.e. if someone hasn't put module results, they're judged on the strength of the rest of their application. If someone has put down particularly strong/weak results, their overall application is judged taking those into account.

OK fair enough. I agree :smile: Much as I think that is true, I still don't think they would base their decision mainly on the OP not having M2 in his AS year, considering he does Physics.
Reply 62
Green Clover
OK fair enough. I agree :smile: Much as I think that is true, I still don't think they would base their decision mainly on the OP not having M2 in his AS year, considering he does Physics.

Ah yes, I would have to agree with that :smile: By the end of the year, If the OP ends up with M2, why would they care whether it was done in yr 12 or yr 13? Doesn't seems reasonable to me...
Reply 63
Green Clover
Although I agree with that, it was not really what you said in your first post :tongue: How can the uni use module details as a basis to discriminate between applicants, given that it is only optional on the UCAS form and as a result not all applicants would fill in their module grades? Also, as many applicants don't really have a choice of what Maths modules they are doing (this depends mostly on the school and what it chooses to offer), it would be unfair for Bristol to reject the OP on the basis of not doing M2 in his AS year, considering he does do Physics :smile:

I assume an 3 series BMW without a model number on the back is a 316. It's the same with module marks: if you've got great ones you'll probably show them off.

yeah, people may not have a choice, but you know, I didn't have a choice to do Latin or Greek at A level or GCSE. You think I should go straight into first-year classics? If you're that into maths (ie doing a degree) you can self-teach A2 anyway or find a local FE college that does it.

I don't know, I just don't think Bristol are offering places on the basis of 'fairness'. More on who's the best student.
Reply 64
J234
Ah yes, I would have to agree with that :smile: By the end of the year, If the OP ends up with M2, why would they care whether it was done in yr 12 or yr 13? Doesn't seems reasonable to me...

because if he does M2 in AS year the presumption is that he does the (harder) M3 M4 etc in A2.
impsmith
because if he does M2 in AS year the presumption is that he does the (harder) M3 M4 etc in A2.

There is no presumption here IMO. Some schools may just teach S1-S2 in AS year just to get rid of the Stats modules so that their students can focus more on, say, M1-M4 next year (and vice versa, like my friend's school). No M2 at AS doesn't necessarily mean fewer Mechanics modules at A2 (and vice versa :tongue:).

impsmith
I assume an 3 series BMW without a model number on the back is a 316. It's the same with module marks: if you've got great ones you'll probably show them off.

The point here is not module marks, it's about module options, and as I said before, my opinion is that not doing M2 in his AS year is not the main reason for the OP's rejection. The course he is applying for is Maths and Physics - which means either has the same weight in his degree. Does Maths consist of Mechanics only - how about Core Maths, Statistics, Decisions? And should Mechanics be that important, considering the OP is also doing Physics?

impsmith
yeah, people may not have a choice, but you know, I didn't have a choice to do Latin or Greek at A level or GCSE. You think I should go straight into first-year classics? If you're that into maths (ie doing a degree) you can self-teach A2 anyway or find a local FE college that does it.

Didn't the OP mention in his first post that he is self-teaching AS Further Maths? As this means that the OP's school is not able to offer Further Maths, I should also point out that M2 is not part of the AS Maths syllabus i.e. it was impossible for him to have M2 in his AS year, unless, of course, he self-taught that module last year. Should it be that much of a problem if he self-teaches it this year, not last year then?

impsmith
I don't know, I just don't think Bristol are offering places on the basis of 'fairness'. More on who's the best student.

While this is generally true, not doing M2 at AS only doesn't automatically make one a 'worse' student. There must also be other factors that they take into account when rejecting the OP :smile:
Because there were better candidates, probably.

You aren't entitled a place at any institution, no matter how brilliant your grades, personal statement and reference are.

By all means ask for feedback, but to say you think ''you should have been offered a place'' is arrogant and untrue.

Latest

Trending

Trending