Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Privately taking A Levels?

Announcements Posted on
Study Help needs new mods! 14-04-2014
Post on TSR and win a prize! Find out more... 10-04-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Am choosing my AS Level subjects at the moment and have finally decided to close in on English Lit, Drama, Chemistry and Biology.

But, I really LOVE french and am also doing it as a GCSE and would love to continue onto AS but am not really keen on dropping anything. Most people want me to drop Drama.. but I love it- its the one I am interested in after English Lit.!

So can I maybe do it privately after I self teach myself?
    What would I have to do exactly? (Centre, Enrolling and stuff? )

Oh, and just wanted to know anyone who has done Gujarati, Hindi and Law as a GCSE or A level privately.

Thanks!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    you can do it at a local adult community college? But surely your college will allow you to do five, if you think you can handle the workload?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    hi
    I'm taught german by a tutor as my school wouldn't let me do german and music

I asked the school to enter me for the exam and I wasn't charged extra. the teachers at school have been really supportive, giving me extra handouts and notes.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shelly from London)
    you can do it at a local adult community college? But surely your college will allow you to do five, if you think you can handle the workload?
    Nah, they think it is absurd that I want to do that :confused:

I dont really want to use a college to do that because I would have to pay and also attend classes. I want to self teach myself and then simply give the exam..
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anurules)
    Am choosing my AS Level subjects at the moment and have finally decided to close in on English Lit, Drama, Chemistry and Biology.

But, I really LOVE french and am also doing it as a GCSE and would love to continue onto AS but am not really keen on dropping anything. Most people want me to drop Drama.. but I love it- its the one I am interested in after English Lit.!

So can I maybe do it privately after I self teach myself?
    What would I have to do exactly? (Centre, Enrolling and stuff? )

Oh, and just wanted to know anyone who has done Gujarati, Hindi and Law as a GCSE or A level privately.

Thanks!

Private A-levels:

Read up on it on www.aqa.org.uk/admin/p_private.php

You need to choose a exam board and syllabus, checking that the specification allows private candidates. Think about the optional units and stuff too.

You also need to find a centre. Any school who is willing to accomodate you for those particular units. There are some private schools in London that allow lots of private candidates. For A-level French, lots of places refuse to do oral exams. You will need to undergo the register / provide proof of identity sufficient to that centre. You will almost certainly need to pay the exam entry fees, which will normally be higher for oral exams; there may be extra admin costs too.
    • 74 followers

ReputationRep:
    it can be expensive doing the whole thing yourself.

im self teaching two of my a levels and the school are acomodating the exam.

chances are if they think its insane then theydont think you could handle the work load.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I've self-taught myself two A-levels and it is hard work and rather expensive. Pick your Exam board carefully and keep in mind that finding an exam centre in your area will be a ****. I had to travel 40+ miles everyday for two weeks but there are many positives about self-teaching. No coursework, no tutors
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hisoo)
    I've self-taught myself two A-levels and it is hard work and rather expensive. Pick your Exam board carefully and keep in mind that finding an exam centre in your area will be a ****. I had to travel 40+ miles everyday for two weeks but there are many positives about self-teaching. No coursework, no tutors
    No coursework, no tutors is possibly the best thing someone said to me today
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Ask them again to let you do 5 A-levels??? Get you parents involved if you have to.... Most people at my school do 5, some even do 6 so it really shouldn't be a problem as it isn't that unusual!!
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    Your school might not be able tofit it all in the timetable, but I'm sure they will be able to enter you for the exam
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jacketpotato)
    Your school might not be able tofit it all in the timetable, but I'm sure they will be able to enter you for the exam
    I might just convince them to do that! Thanks!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hisoo)

wait hang on if you were self teaching yourself, with no course work or tutors what did you have travel around for 2 weeks for? Don't you just show up to the center on exam day? or do you need to pick up material from there?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Roxan)
    Don't you just show up to the center on exam day? or do you need to pick up material from there?
    :eek: No.

You have to find a centre that will do the exam, then actually register, telling them what board, codes, etc., as well as providing proof of ID, and finally paying :mad: .
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    so you pay at the end of it, how cute...and where would I find an exam center in Canada? I assume the local college would be a good place to start
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Roxan)
    so you pay at the end of it, how cute...and where would I find an exam center in Canada? I assume the local college would be a good place to start
    British A-levels are hard to come by in Canada (more popular in the US: see http://www.cie.org.uk/countries/usa/resources), but CIE and Edexcel do A-levels internationally so that's a possibility. I think the British Council will do them, again for a (highly exorbitant) fee. But you'd still have to hunt down a centre at which to do A-levels.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: February 24, 2009
Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.