The Student Room Group
Reply 1
I don't know much about Exeter, but for the longest time Cardiff was where I wanted to go. The course seems really really good to me, but perhaps that's just because of my interests (they do a lot of number theory, and also offer modules on cryptography and the foundations of computer programming languages which I find interesting). In the end I didn't take it because I didn't want to go to a city centre type University and they didn't offer a 4 year option. I think there's a lot of difference between maths degrees at different institutions though, so I'd probably try to factor that into your decision if you know what you want out of the course. Exeter seems pretty solid from looking over their website.
Reply 2
green_eyes
i've decided on bristol as my firm (please don't attempt to change my mind it was hard enough getting there in the first place!) but now i need to choose an insurance. the offers aren't much difference but i'm really unsure as to which would be better! please help! :biggrin:

exeter cos its a nice place, with the surfing and beach stuff and all, but yet it is sort of a strong in maths, apparently. oh, and one of my former maths teachers went there:biggrin:
Given that the MORS dept in exeter is under review (and that they've just closed a bunch of courses) I'd say cardiff would be a safer option

Plus cardiff is lovely
Reply 4
I don't know about the maths departments of each but i think Cardiff is generally held in higher regard.
Reply 5
Exeter has a better maths deparment than cardif. I also am pretty sure that exeter is a "nicer" city/town. I've taken them as my insurance for maths.
Reply 6
Cardiff has a kick ass student union :cool: :biggrin:

And welsh people rock!!!
Reply 7
I realise my advice is a little late but when i looked at uni's I was looking at Maths and Physics and I thought that Maths was better in Cardiff! I went to Exeter in the end but to do Physics! I was going to do combined but for some reason they wouldn't let me do the phys part in Exeter and the Maths Part in Cardiff odd that! :wink:

Latest