The Student Room Group
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website

CompSci at Soton: A few questions

I was thinking as including Southampton as one of my university choices but first I'd like to know a few things:

1. Computer Science MEng or Software Engineering MEng; which is more valuable to employers? I'm guessing Software Engineering is more important if you want to, say, PROGRAM THINGS as a profession, but I hear Computer Science is a more well-rounded course (and provides skills that are more transferrable).

2. Do either of those degrees require or outrightedly prefer people with previous programming experience? This shouldn't be an issue for me as I have been learning PHP for the past few days, as well as using (lmao) Basic at school, but I just wanted to make sure.

3. Men:women ratio, and number of international students (at least in the university as a whole)? I shouldn't be REALLY concerned but I'd prefer a more diverse environment to study in.

Thanks in advance

EDIT: As an afterthought, how good are the career prospects, really? And is the workload for Computer Science or Software Engineering comparable to, say, Medicine or Law?
Well, i do MEng CompSci, so I'll answer these as best i can.

1. The degree courses, the option modules, the compulsory modules, they're all the same from year 1-4. I expect a difference starts to show in year 3, but the modules are all the same. As such, i really don't think either of them will be that different to employers.

2. No. You don't need any programming experience at all.

3. uh. it seems about 80:20, it have said, for men to women, but then that shouldn;t be a surprise, and maybe about 60:40 or 70:30 with international being the smaller number.

4. Career prospects are good - there are a lot of events where you'll get offered graduate schemes which most of the time will just give you a job, and things like that.
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website
Oli has pretty much covered everything. Basically, although computer science is technically a more 'well rounded' course, there is still a very heavy focus on programming as you really won't get by without knowing how to do it. Obviously they teach you programming from scratch, but it doesn't hurt to know a bit beforehand and can free up a lot of your time to work on other stuff. The workload is quite high, but I can't really compare it to Medicine or Law since I haven't done either of those two courses. Some people will say yes, some will say no, but unless you've done both of them then you can't really say for sure.

As for male:female ratio it's probably as Oli suggested above, but you'll be pretty much hard-pressed to find any computer science department that has a high proportion of females to males.
Reply 3
I appreciate the answers guys, thanks alot.
I was always pretty sure where the men-women ratio would lie but the number of international student seems pretty reasonable to me. Also yeah, CompSci is what I'm aiming for.