The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

hanqiangycl
when i talk alot, nothing makes sense:frown:

hmmmmm...then I suggest not to think about the effects the next 15 or so minutes would have on your life, before walking in? although now that I've said that it's probably going to be harder:tongue:
Reply 21
Baki
Because your nerves get replaced with boredom. Works everytime. :laugh:

haha that is really true.

i got to nottingham at 11.30, interview at 4.20.
yeah... i was bored.

but i think coffee helps.
stay awake that is :P
i was almost falling asleep by 3.45 haha
Reply 22
mouse_mat
Stay up late watching horror films before the interview. Makes you less scared of the interviewers and you'll forget about the interview as you'll be pre-occupied with scenes from said horror films. My personal recommendations would be the original japanese ring trilogy, dead alive and audition. Got me through both of my interviews.

haha nice1, after watching the ring, i'd not be mentally competent to attend the interview anyway lol.
Reply 23
Beta-blockers
Try not to think about what could result because of the interview, think about something else entirely. Get chatting to another candidate about something you do for fun - film, sports, whatever. It will settle you down, get you talking (so your mouth doesn't go dry), and just make you relax if you're comfortable.

Oh, and don't be one of those people that takes a folder rammed full of notes and articles into the waiting room - I think that would make me more nervous than anything.
sing a happy song to yourself. In your head.

'Cos every little thing, is gonna be alright.... d d dd d dd..................'

That calmed me down at Barts.
What worked for me was talking to the other candidates. Just having a casual conversation with them tends to calm the nerves. Also not thinking about the interview and what they will ask you certainly helped me. It kept my mind fresh. Right before my interview I actually nearly dozed off while everyone else was madly studying their personal statements and notes. I bet last minute cramming will definitely make you nervous. If you are confident about yourself then you won't get nervous. Getting a lot of rest the night before helps too!
Before an interview I just tell myself: 'You are a strong, confident, beautiful, intelligent woman', so I go in feeling good about myself.

Yes, I ripped it off from Ugly Betty AND yes, it works.
Reply 28
vortex_199
Before an interview I just tell myself: 'You are a strong, confident, beautiful, intelligent woman', so I go in feeling good about myself.

Yes, I ripped it off from Ugly Betty AND yes, it works.

nice1, i'll give it a go:tongue:
Reply 29
I would try doing something interesting or active the day before, so you don't think to much about the interview. The less you think about it the less you will worry.
hanqiangycl
everyone please contribute!

If you are with fellow interviewees just chat with them in the lead up to your interview, that's what I did in my Oxford one (i.e. talked about random stuff and played blackjack and connect-4 with some of them).
hanqiangycl
nice1, i'll give it a go:tongue:

Ha. I hope it serves you the way it has served me.
Reply 32
vortex_199
Ha. I hope it serves you the way it has served me.

i hope you had got an offer from that particular interview, that'd be even better:biggrin:
Reply 33
SupraSpinatous
sing a happy song to yourself. In your head.

'Cos every little thing, is gonna be alright.... d d dd d dd..................'

That calmed me down at Barts.

"always look on the bright side of life...do do, do do do do do do!"

coffee wouldn't be good for me, too much of it makes me a bit shakey and i think i'll be a gibbering wreck as it is!!
hanqiangycl
i hope you had got an offer from that particular interview, that'd be even better:biggrin:

Oh I did. Some positive results.
Reply 35
great, thanks to you guys, i wasn't nervous AT ALL at my interview at UCL, so as it turned out i made lots of sloppy remarks and didn't bother to think...oh how i wished i have been a bit more nervous...i guess it's rejection for me now.
Reply 36
a few shots of captain morgans 60mins before the interview
Reply 37
At leicester open day they said:
breath in for 3 seconds
hold it for 3 seconds
breath out for 6 seconds
Reply 38
Nicolish
At leicester open day they said:
breath in for 3 seconds
hold it for 3 seconds
breath out for 6 seconds

breathing does help but you don't want to completely get rid of your nerves as the adrenaline can be very beneficial
i perform best when i'm running on adrenaline
kate0904
breathing does help but you don't want to completely get rid of your nerves as the adrenaline can be very beneficial
i perform best when i'm running on adrenaline

Definitely true for me

Latest

Trending

Trending