Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Student Finance Applications - Q & A

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    I need to know, do I need to make an application for both my firm and insurance place even if they are at the same university?
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Cornerstone)
    I need to know, do I need to make an application for both my firm and insurance place even if they are at the same university?
    You apply for your firm. If you end up doing your insurance, you complete a change of circumstances form (or online).
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Do student finance always ask for evidence for maintenance grant? Or can they find out on their own
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jhamblin1)
    Does anyone know where I can find the paper forms for student finance application, i can find 2010/2011, but not 2011/2012. Help please
    http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Educatio...ance/DG_194466

Looks like you have to phone up for an application form.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by arob752)
    Do student finance always ask for evidence for maintenance grant? Or can they find out on their own
    It's down to you and your sponsors to provide it.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    I've sent my passport 3 weeks ago and I am still waiting, when am I expected to get it back?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by glf2110)
    It's down to you and your sponsors to provide it.
    Even if they dont ask for any?
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    You apply for your firm. If you end up doing your insurance, you complete a change of circumstances form (or online).
    Cheers
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by arob752)
    Even if they dont ask for any?
    Depending on you/your sponsors answers will depend on what evidence they ask for.. Have you checked your online account to see if they're asking you for anything?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mike_mike)
    You simply give Student Finanace England a call and they will change the course for you.
    Taking an year in the industry might give you a better value than a year in North America by the way
    Thanks, I will probably do so unless they help me via internet but until then,i'm still looking for that "make a change" button on your profile, where the f*ck is it? everyone can see it except me, it seems..
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alwaysme)
    Exactly the same thing happened to me. I sent in all my evidence at the end of April but only just got mine approved yesterday.

Go into the evidence section and put in what you sent them again (as if you were going to print the cover letters again) and you will see on the next page that in the list of evidence each will have a note in italics underneath saying when they sent it back.

If a piece of evidence doesn't have that note then they haven't processed it. So even if you had sent it off and got it back, they didn't process it properly and you'll probably end up having to send it again.

In my case they didn't process my Mothers decree absolute. But it was a non-vital piece of evidence and they could find out about her marital status in other ways so after ringing up several times they processed it anyway without me having to send it in.

Best of luck.
    It was financial evidence that I sent off, and you have to send copies for that so they don't send it back. Idk what's going on; my dad rang them on saturday but with no luck They just don't seem to want to give me any money
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    This is one for people who've had a year of student finance already really, but all are welcome to read, I could do with any help of suggestions you have

Ok so i've posted before about the saga (and yes I think that word is justified) I've had with student finance. My Dad rang them up on saturday, and whilst we still got nowhere, they gave him a little more info than they'd given me.

Apparently there's a difference between the amount of money on my mum's financial evidence and the amount that HMRC said she'd earnt. They said this was around £160, which is actually the exact amount she'd put on her declaration (she is starting up a small business). We do not understand it as her evidence was her tax form which is what HMRC have :confused: Anyone understand what's gone on here??

Also they say there is a difference in my dad's of just over £1000. He was trying to get out of the guy on the phone whether we ever get anything explaining what values of income are used to calculate my entitlement and the guy seemed unclear. So, do we get anything explaining this? Also, if you think they've used the wrong amount of parental income, hence given you the wrong amount, is there any way of appealing against this?

My mum and Dad checked all the info they sent off, and it was all correct, no errors anywhere. Also, there is still no progress with my application, despite having submitted evidence 2 and a half months ago.

HELP!
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Starburst Scarlett)
    I need some help please can anyone help me.

Basically student finance has sent back a new birth certificate and declaration form for the 3rd time saying that the previous 2 was incorrectly completed and I don't know why because they haven't said which parts were incorrect. I am very distressed.
    same here mate, i just received mine for the 3rd / 4th time. They are really unhelpful as they just state incorrectly completed, and do not explain which parts were so how are we suppose to redo it correctly?!?!

Does anyone know the absolute latest student finance will accept applications? thanks.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Meesta)
    same here mate, i just received mine for the 3rd / 4th time. They are really unhelpful as they just state incorrectly completed, and do not explain which parts were so how are we suppose to redo it correctly?!?!

Does anyone know the absolute latest student finance will accept applications? thanks.
    9 months after the start of the academic year - so May/June 2012.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Meesta)

they did this to me, you need to ring them up and ask what the mistakes are. They sent mine back because the person who did mine didnt include a phone number.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    I applied for student finance, got accepted, received a confirmation etc etc (for 2011 entry).

How can I change something on the form? I may have checked the 'do not consider me for bursaries' box by accident. Also, I need to change the university I said I was going to.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by flipshot)
    9 months after the start of the academic year - so May/June 2012.
    ahh okay thanks!

(Original post by AMY.OX)
    they did this to me, you need to ring them up and ask what the mistakes are. They sent mine back because the person who did mine didnt include a phone number.
    okay i shall do so
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by k3ro)
    I applied for student finance, got accepted, received a confirmation etc etc (for 2011 entry).

How can I change something on the form? I may have checked the 'do not consider me for bursaries' box by accident. Also, I need to change the university I said I was going to.
    You can phone them up to provide your consent to share financial information. Your parent(s)/sponsor(s) will also need to do this. This will mean that your uni can see your household income and make an assessment as to your bursary entitlement.
    With regards changing your uni, you will need to either change this online via your account or download and complete a CO1 form as soon as they become available. One of my friends managed to persuade the SLC to change her details over the phone.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    You can phone them up to provide your consent to share financial information. Your parent(s)/sponsor(s) will also need to do this. This will mean that your uni can see your household income and make an assessment as to your bursary entitlement.
    With regards changing your uni, you will need to either change this online via your account or download and complete a CO1 form as soon as they become available. One of my friends managed to persuade the SLC to change her details over the phone.
    Thanks a lot for the help!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I've got all my maintenance loan all sorted out.

However, because Student Finance were asking for proof that my parents are divorced, my application is currently not taking earnings into account, so they're not giving me any grant.

The decree nisi for their separation has finally come through, however on the Student Finance site, it says they no longer need anything from me and my mum. Still with no grant allocated.

Should I just shove it in the post to them and hope they get it? Or do I ring up? And will I get the grant before January? I've got enough savings to hold me over until then, but after that I'm pretty much screwed without the grant if I can't get a part-time job.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 14, 2014
New on TSR

Personal statement help

Use our clever tool to create a PS you're proud of.

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.