The Student Room Group

Student Finance Applications - Q & A

Scroll to see replies

Quick question regarding a matienance grant. I've been given just under £500 which seems a bit low to me. My parents incomes combined are around the 30,000 mark. The threshold on their website is- £30,000 - £2341 so anyone know why its just at £500? I'll give them a call when I get a chance after work tonight but just thought I'd see if anyone on here knows anything.

I got just under £6000 in a loan so I don't know if that amount reflects a lower grant but the threshold on there website seems to suggest its too low?
My dad retiring in the summer, whilst it probably won't make a bit of difference financially on the loan I'll get should I inform SF?
Original post by Mousebudden
Ok thanks. Pathetic that they don't have an email contact though.

The reason they don't is that it creates too much work for them and people use the address for inapproriate purposes. Due to the nature of student finance it's generally necessary to speak to customers in real time.
Reply 6483
I am trying to do my student finance but my mum doesn't have a P60 for 2010-2011 because she wasn't employed in the April of 2011 so how do we fill out her section? what can we use instead? Please help :frown:
hey,wondered if any one could help?

I've just completed my online application for student finance from SAAS (the scottish awards body).As far as im aware i dont need to send any evidence etc,im a mature student applying for the full amount for fees and loan etc.Its all very confusing because most people have had to send other documents but it hasnt asked me to send anything.Does anyone know if this is common not to have to send other information as a mature independent student?
Hos long does the process take to enquire about student finance?

Also is there register fees to pay at the university
Reply 6486
Hi, can anyone help me? I'm applying for student finance but I haven't firmed any university yet. Does this mean I cannot continue with my application and I have to have firmed somewhere in order to apply?
Original post by SDNY24
Hi, can anyone help me? I'm applying for student finance but I haven't firmed any university yet. Does this mean I cannot continue with my application and I have to have firmed somewhere in order to apply?

No, just pick the one you're most likely to go to at this point. It's easy to change it later one once you have a firm choice.
Original post by glittersticks
No, just pick the one you're most likely to go to at this point. It's easy to change it later one once you have a firm choice.

And how long does it take for the process?
Original post by ifnnjk
I am trying to do my student finance but my mum doesn't have a P60 for 2010-2011 because she wasn't employed in the April of 2011 so how do we fill out her section? what can we use instead? Please help :frown:

If she was employed for part of the 2010/11 year she'll need to send in her P45(s). Part year payslips are not acceptable.
Original post by MsAaliyah
I'am in the middle of applying for student finance, I owe t-mobile £51 which they charged me for my contract and have refused to pay it as they have not even taken the time to explain where the money went so I blocked the direct debit.

ANYWAY does anyone know whether this will affect me getting a student loan or not? Will I still be allowed to get one? I was thinking of opening a new bank account so I don't have a bad credit check? Is anyone else in a similar situation?

Changing your bank account doesn't get rid of a bad credit history, your credit report is seperate to your bank account. However in terms of student finance this doesn't matter as you don't get credit checked for a student loan.

Original post by GingerPele
Quick question regarding a matienance grant. I've been given just under £500 which seems a bit low to me. My parents incomes combined are around the 30,000 mark. The threshold on their website is- £30,000 - £2341 so anyone know why its just at £500? I'll give them a call when I get a chance after work tonight but just thought I'd see if anyone on here knows anything.

I got just under £6000 in a loan so I don't know if that amount reflects a lower grant but the threshold on there website seems to suggest its too low?

Are you sure it's £30k combined including not only income from work but things like interest from savings etc. which they would have had to declare. That is the right amount for £30k but if it was £35k it would go down to £1423, for £40k it would go down to £523 etc.

Original post by stubear
My dad retiring in the summer, whilst it probably won't make a bit of difference financially on the loan I'll get should I inform SF?

If it won't make a difference to your entitlement (check with the Student Finance Calculator) then you don't need to tell them. Otherwise I think you'd have to be reassessed after he's retired.

Original post by DavidR399
Hos long does the process take to enquire about student finance?

Also is there register fees to pay at the university

It takes up to 6-8 weeks to process the application, and then if you have to send any evidence it takes up to the same time again to process that.

You don't have to pay any registration fees to go uni but there is a deposit for student accommodation (how much and when it needs to be paid depends on the uni and halls - check with them) and tuition fees (which will be paid by student finance if you are eligible).
Reply 6491
UGH THIS IS REALLY ANNOYING ME!!!!

ok heres my dilemma....

my dad has a job and is self employed, i put his p60 details in fine...

in the self employed section it doesnt let me put in a negative value for proft!? when i put it in and fill it all out it says "enter a numeric value blah blah...."

i rang up student finance and they said it should let me put in a negative number!.....

now ive asked for a physical paper form.....but how do i link my account to my parents?....

im guessing my parents will have to put my number on their forms saying their 'sponsoring' me ....

but how do i now complete my applicaiton?....my parents sections (online) are still shown on mine....how do i say that their completing a paper copy?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 6492
Hello.
I am from Romania and I have received conditional offers at both English and Scottish universities.
Is it possible to apply for tuition fee loan at both SLC and SAAS if my firm and insurance choices are one in England and one in Scotland?

Thank you in advance.
HELPPP! I just started the applying process and am already finding it hard :frown:

What do they mean by: 'Do you want to provide your financial details in support of your child or partner's application?' are they talking about me or my parents??

Oh and BTW does anyone know where the so called 'save' button is when ou want to log off the site. Everytime I log off it seems like I have to start all over again and it is a real drag.
(edited 11 years ago)
hi, i REALLY need help!
i keep getting this message;
The gender of the sponsor is inconsistent with the sponsor relationship

it wont go away and i've checked all the gender boxes of me and my mum and they both say female!
I anyone else finding it really hard to justify the course they are offered considering the 8/9 grand fees for it!!!!
Does anyone know what to do if you have parents who aren't working due to long term sickness?
The application is asking for my dads income but he doesn't work so he only gets benefits. He puts 0.00 is the wages/salary box but it says error. What is he supposed to do if he doesn't have an income to enter?
Original post by jessieanne17
hi, i REALLY need help!
i keep getting this message;
The gender of the sponsor is inconsistent with the sponsor relationship

it wont go away and i've checked all the gender boxes of me and my mum and they both say female!

It will be because you've listed her as some sort of male sponsor - dad, mother's partner? Otherwise it'll be an error - ring SFE for advice.
Original post by PrettyLittleLiars
HELPPP! I just started the applying process and am already finding it hard :frown:

What do they mean by: 'Do you want to provide your financial details in support of your child or partner's application?' are they talking about me or my parents??

Oh and BTW does anyone know where the so called 'save' button is when ou want to log off the site. Everytime I log off it seems like I have to start all over again and it is a real drag.

They'll be talking about your parents/partner (if applicable)
The Save button is at the bottom of the page, usually once you've finished a section.
I received my student finance details today and it said to sign the contract and send it back as soon as possible. I was wondering what do i do, if i miss the grades for my firm, do i just notify student finance on results day? Or will they change it for me?

Quick Reply

Latest