The Student Room Group

Student Finance Applications - Q & A

Scroll to see replies

hey i was wondering if someone would be able to clear things up for me. I have applied for my student finance and done everything correctly as far as i'm aware. but when i got to the end stages of the application i got a table up, with the maximum amounts i can receive. But for the maintenence grant, unde the heading "amount requested" it said N/A (but with max value £2200) - does this mean i haven't applied for the grant or won't get it? :/ i'm sure there was no option on the application about the grant and now i'm really worried in case i won't get it.
Anyone else having this problem?
Thanks in advance.
Reply 6601
Hi, I was wondering if anyone else was reapplying this year and having trouble? I repeatedly wouldn't let me log in with last years details, even though I had them in an email. I rang up to try and sort it out and they said my customer reference number belongs to someone else and not me (which it does, I read it directly from the email I received) and for "security reasons" he couldn't take the call any further, and basically hung up on me. I rang the complaints phone number and no one could be bothered to answer. Does anyone have any advice, or another number to ring where the people who answer may actually be helpful? I don;t want to reapply for the whole process again. Thanks.
Hi guys,

I need to send of proof of my mums divorce with my application for next year but the online service isn't letting me view the cover letter to print. Is it okay to send it off without it do you think? Also, do I need to send the original? It's just that my sister will be applying for student finance this year and we don't really want to have to send it off twice..

Any help much appreciated,
SuperSam_Fantastiche
Reply 6603
Original post by Starlight94
hey i was wondering if someone would be able to clear things up for me. I have applied for my student finance and done everything correctly as far as i'm aware. but when i got to the end stages of the application i got a table up, with the maximum amounts i can receive. But for the maintenence grant, unde the heading "amount requested" it said N/A (but with max value £2200) - does this mean i haven't applied for the grant or won't get it? :/ i'm sure there was no option on the application about the grant and now i'm really worried in case i won't get it.
Anyone else having this problem?
Thanks in advance.

It always says N/A for the amount requested for the maintenance grant because you can't apply for it. You are automatically assessed for it if you choose to be income-assessed.
I've been given my estimate and i'll be getting the highest figure for a maintenance grant but I can also apply for a £2.750 maintenance loan. I'm planning on living at home so is it advisable for me apply for the loan if I can probably make do on the grant?
£2,750 not £2.750
Original post by heyjuuude
I've been given my estimate and i'll be getting the highest figure for a maintenance grant but I can also apply for a £2.750 maintenance loan. I'm planning on living at home so is it advisable for me apply for the loan if I can probably make do on the grant?

If you want extra money to get by then you can apply for a loan, it doesn't necessarily have to be as much as £2750 even. If you're sure you can make do without the money and maybe get a part time to job to cover anything else then it might save you some debt at the end of your degree if you don't go for it.
For the I.D will they accept documents that have been laminated?
Hi

Recently, I posted a problem about my Maintenance grant not being applied to my financial situation correctly, and as a result of that, I sent off one of those PFF2 forms to fix this.

Recently, I received a letter back in the post telling me that they received the form and all the information, but they can't use it because for some absurd random reason, My mother forgot to fill in her date of birth. They have told me to send a letter back with that information to fix this.

My question is, should I fill out a brand new PFF2 form and send it off again, or will a formal letter with my CRN and some other general information containing the required D.O.B suffice?

I'm just a little concerned on which approach I should take.

Thanks
Rhys
Original post by Stevo F
I take it this is a global error because several of my friends seem to be having the same problem but every time I try to see my applications status it says:
Error: "Unfortunately there has been a problem with your application, please use the 'Continue' button to return to your previous page to check the data that you have entered and try again. If this problem persists then please log out and try again later."

bump :/
I'm applying for student finance though I haven't firmed by uni choice, I'm provisionally putting KCL as my first choice. I live zone 4, will be applying for accommodation but not sure if I will get it in the first term etc/ because of the M25 rule so do I apply for a maintenance loan for accommodation or not on student finance? If I go Durham University then I will definitely will be applying for accommodation.
If you 'submit your application' on student finance, you can still change your first choice university, right? by 9th May deadline?
Original post by Phenylethylamine_
If you 'submit your application' on student finance, you can still change your first choice university, right? by 9th May deadline?

I thought the deadline was 31st May :confused:
Original post by confused dot com

9th is UCAS, 31st is SLC.
Original post by confused dot com

Yep it is but to firm your university the deadline is 9th May :wink:
I'm applying for student finance though I haven't firmed by uni choice, I'm provisionally putting KCL as my first choice. I live zone 4, will be applying for accommodation but not sure if I will get it in the first term etc/ because of the M25 rule so do I apply for a maintenance loan for accommodation or not on student finance? If I go Durham University then I will definitely will be applying for accommodation.

I would recommend that you apply for the maximum of everything (inc living in halls/M25 or not). You can change any aspect of your application at anytime. Obviously the more time you allow the better so that SFE can reassess you correctly and in time for the commencement of the course. (You can do this online)
Original post by glf2110
I would recommend that you apply for the maximum of everything (inc living in halls/M25 or not). You can change any aspect of your application at anytime. Obviously the more time you allow the better so that SFE can reassess you correctly and in time for the commencement of the course. (You can do this online)

Thanks :smile: Yep, I've just submitted my application and applied for the maximum for everything. Also - I just submitted the application so it just says "your application is currently being processed", will they inform me when I need to send the evidence by? (Sorry stupid question) :/
Thanks :smile: Yep, I've just submitted my application and applied for the maximum for everything. Also - I just submitted the application so it just says "your application is currently being processed", will they inform me when I need to send the evidence by? (Sorry stupid question) :/

Not stupid at all. If they want evidence then they'll ask you for it. However if you've input your NI and passport details then they can check these online with the relevant authorities. If you've applied for means tested then it's your sponsors who may need to provide evidence and they'll be asked for this at the time of application. Log in every couple of days to check the progress of your application. Don't forget to return your signed declaration when it comes through in the post. :smile:
Original post by glf2110
Not stupid at all. If they want evidence then they'll ask you for it. However if you've input your NI and passport details then they can check these online with the relevant authorities. If you've applied for means tested then it's your sponsors who may need to provide evidence and they'll be asked for this at the time of application. Log in every couple of days to check the progress of your application. Don't forget to return your signed declaration when it comes through in the post. :smile:

Ahh I see, thanks a lot for answering my queries :biggrin:
Sorry if these have already been asked but
1) Can you only apply for the tuition fees only - not maintenance and vica-versa or do you have to apply to both?
2) I know that at the moment I am not eligible for any grants. So there's no real point making my parents fill in all the details? But next year I will fall into the eligible category (change in parents income) so can I then reapply for 2013-2014 finance with this and be eligible for grants or not? Also say if I've opted out of maintenance loan this year does this mean I'm not eligible for maintenance grants next time after change in income thing ?
Sorry I'm a bit confused by it all.
Thanks for your help in advance :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest