Student Finance Applications - Q & A

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    £2,750 not £2.750
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by heyjuuude)
    I've been given my estimate and i'll be getting the highest figure for a maintenance grant but I can also apply for a £2.750 maintenance loan. I'm planning on living at home so is it advisable for me apply for the loan if I can probably make do on the grant?
    If you want extra money to get by then you can apply for a loan, it doesn't necessarily have to be as much as £2750 even. If you're sure you can make do without the money and maybe get a part time to job to cover anything else then it might save you some debt at the end of your degree if you don't go for it.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    For the I.D will they accept documents that have been laminated?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi

Recently, I posted a problem about my Maintenance grant not being applied to my financial situation correctly, and as a result of that, I sent off one of those PFF2 forms to fix this.

Recently, I received a letter back in the post telling me that they received the form and all the information, but they can't use it because for some absurd random reason, My mother forgot to fill in her date of birth. They have told me to send a letter back with that information to fix this.

My question is, should I fill out a brand new PFF2 form and send it off again, or will a formal letter with my CRN and some other general information containing the required D.O.B suffice?

I'm just a little concerned on which approach I should take.

Thanks
    Rhys
    • 20 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stevo F)
    I take it this is a global error because several of my friends seem to be having the same problem but every time I try to see my applications status it says:
    Error: "Unfortunately there has been a problem with your application, please use the 'Continue' button to return to your previous page to check the data that you have entered and try again. If this problem persists then please log out and try again later."
    bump :/
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm applying for student finance though I haven't firmed by uni choice, I'm provisionally putting KCL as my first choice. I live zone 4, will be applying for accommodation but not sure if I will get it in the first term etc/ because of the M25 rule so do I apply for a maintenance loan for accommodation or not on student finance? If I go Durham University then I will definitely will be applying for accommodation.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    If you 'submit your application' on student finance, you can still change your first choice university, right? by 9th May deadline?
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phenylethylamine_)
    If you 'submit your application' on student finance, you can still change your first choice university, right? by 9th May deadline?
    I thought the deadline was 31st May :confused:
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by confused dot com)
    9th is UCAS, 31st is SLC.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by confused dot com)
    Yep it is but to firm your university the deadline is 9th May
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm applying for student finance though I haven't firmed by uni choice, I'm provisionally putting KCL as my first choice. I live zone 4, will be applying for accommodation but not sure if I will get it in the first term etc/ because of the M25 rule so do I apply for a maintenance loan for accommodation or not on student finance? If I go Durham University then I will definitely will be applying for accommodation.

I would recommend that you apply for the maximum of everything (inc living in halls/M25 or not). You can change any aspect of your application at anytime. Obviously the more time you allow the better so that SFE can reassess you correctly and in time for the commencement of the course. (You can do this online)
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by glf2110)
    I would recommend that you apply for the maximum of everything (inc living in halls/M25 or not). You can change any aspect of your application at anytime. Obviously the more time you allow the better so that SFE can reassess you correctly and in time for the commencement of the course. (You can do this online)
    Thanks Yep, I've just submitted my application and applied for the maximum for everything. Also - I just submitted the application so it just says "your application is currently being processed", will they inform me when I need to send the evidence by? (Sorry stupid question) :/
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Thanks Yep, I've just submitted my application and applied for the maximum for everything. Also - I just submitted the application so it just says "your application is currently being processed", will they inform me when I need to send the evidence by? (Sorry stupid question) :/
    Not stupid at all. If they want evidence then they'll ask you for it. However if you've input your NI and passport details then they can check these online with the relevant authorities. If you've applied for means tested then it's your sponsors who may need to provide evidence and they'll be asked for this at the time of application. Log in every couple of days to check the progress of your application. Don't forget to return your signed declaration when it comes through in the post.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by glf2110)
    Not stupid at all. If they want evidence then they'll ask you for it. However if you've input your NI and passport details then they can check these online with the relevant authorities. If you've applied for means tested then it's your sponsors who may need to provide evidence and they'll be asked for this at the time of application. Log in every couple of days to check the progress of your application. Don't forget to return your signed declaration when it comes through in the post.
    Ahh I see, thanks a lot for answering my queries
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Sorry if these have already been asked but
    1) Can you only apply for the tuition fees only - not maintenance and vica-versa or do you have to apply to both?
    2) I know that at the moment I am not eligible for any grants. So there's no real point making my parents fill in all the details? But next year I will fall into the eligible category (change in parents income) so can I then reapply for 2013-2014 finance with this and be eligible for grants or not? Also say if I've opted out of maintenance loan this year does this mean I'm not eligible for maintenance grants next time after change in income thing ?
    Sorry I'm a bit confused by it all.
    Thanks for your help in advance
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    hi there, my mum and dad are both self-employed and run a business together. SFE said they need to fill out this paper form but is this the right form? - this is the normal paper form

http://www.studentfinance.direct.gov..._PFF2_1213.PDF

because i thought they may need another form which their accountant may need to fill out and not them, so are there any other forms they need to fill out :/
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lilliehear)
    Sorry if these have already been asked but
    1) Can you only apply for the tuition fees only - not maintenance and vica-versa or do you have to apply to both?
    2) I know that at the moment I am not eligible for any grants. So there's no real point making my parents fill in all the details? But next year I will fall into the eligible category (change in parents income) so can I then reapply for 2013-2014 finance with this and be eligible for grants or not? Also say if I've opted out of maintenance loan this year does this mean I'm not eligible for maintenance grants next time after change in income thing ?
    Sorry I'm a bit confused by it all.
    Thanks for your help in advance
    1) You can apply for either, you don't have to apply for both.
    2) Next year you can apply to be income assessed and ask for a current year assessment. It doesnt matter whether you've had them this year or not.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Course end date (final year of study): what should I put here? the date when the last year begins or the date when the last year finishes :confused:
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by panda1093)
    Course end date (final year of study): what should I put here? the date when the last year begins or the date when the last year finishes :confused:

hi.

i just put down june 2015.

can i ask what you put for bank details? are we meant to have opened student accounts already?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    This form is ridiculoulsy confising

So I assume I only enter details about my firm choice? Nothing actually explains this: what happens if i get into my insurance instead?

I don't seem to be able to enter some details about the course until I say which year I'm studying... but I haven't started the course yet! Do I just say 'First' anyway? It gives me the right start date if I do that...

How do I know what month the course ends? I've just assumed it's June 2016 (four year course)

Thanks in advance

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: August 28, 2014
New on TSR

Strictly iPlayer

Will you still watch if some BBC programmes go online only?

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.