The Student Room Group

Student Finance Applications - Q & A

Scroll to see replies

Reply 6680
Has anybody received a second letter giving the breakdown of student finance etc., asking you to sign and return it? I've had another one after sending back the first one, but none of the amounts have changed :s
Reply 6681
Hi everyone :smile:

Okay, so I'm applying for Student Finance, and I'm at the stage where I have to read all the Terms & Conditions to continue processing the application.

I'm applying to study in London, and I think based on the income of my parents, I'm entitled to about £6000 in Maintenance Loan. However, on the Review screen (and on the Loan Details screen), the amount it says I'll be getting is estimated at £4988. I don't want to continue if this is wrong, or is it that they'll review it at a later date? Apologies if this seems a petty and pointless question/problem, and thanks in advance for any answers.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 6682
Original post by NP473L
Hi everyone :smile:

Okay, so I'm applying for Student Finance, and I'm at the stage where I have to read all the Terms & Conditions to continue processing the application.

I'm applying to study in London, and I think based on the income of my parents, I'm entitled to about £6000 in Maintenance Loan. However, on the Review screen (and on the Loan Details screen), the amount it says I'll be getting is estimated at £4998. I don't want to continue if this is wrong, or is it that they'll review it at a later date? Apologies if this seems a petty and pointless question/problem, and thanks in advance for any answers.

That's the non-income assessed maintenance loan for London. Are you sure you chose for your application to be income assessed?
Reply 6683
Original post by Shani
That's the non-income assessed maintenance loan for London. Are you sure you chose for your application to be income assessed?

Yeah, that's what I chose...which is why I'm confused. Should I just start the whole thing again to be sure?

Edit: I've gone back in, and at Review, it says 'You can also apply for support not taking household income into account'. I hit that, and it gives me two options. 1) to apply for the amount shown (£4988) and 2) using the slidey-scale of household income to work out the estimate.

I use the slidey scale to adjust the income, and it gives me an estimate of roughly £6000. I then hit 'Continue based on household income' and the estimate pops straight back to £4988. Am I doing something wrong?

Like I said, it does say 'this is only an estimate...it'll be reviewed when we assess' but I thought it would give me the estimate using the slidey-scale, rather than the non-income based figure.

Edit 2: Tried it on Internet Explorer (was using Chrome before) and still no luck.

Edit 3: Tried going back to making it 'not taking income into account' (stayed at £4988) and returned to 'take income into account' and it still stayed at £4988.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 6684
Original post by loz876
Has anybody received a second letter giving the breakdown of student finance etc., asking you to sign and return it? I've had another one after sending back the first one, but none of the amounts have changed :s

It's probably because you took too long to send the first one back. If you don't send the first one back quickly, then send you another, it doesn't really matter though.
How long does it generally take to get a reply after sending a paper form as it's been over a week since I mailed mine :/
Original post by confused dot com
How long does it generally take to get a reply after sending a paper form as it's been over a week since I mailed mine :/

If you mean an application form, then it could take a month depending on their work load. Hopefully less though.
Original post by glf2110
If you mean an application form, then it could take a month depending on their work load. Hopefully less though.

Yep, the application form. Thanks, I can stop checking the post everyday now :tongue:
Reply 6688
Hi everyone, just a quick question - Do you only need to sign the declaration form once, regardless of how many times you change the amount you want to borrow? After changing the amount, I received another letter from Student Finance with the new payment timetables etc. and also another declaration form.
Original post by DSWL
Hi everyone, just a quick question - Do you only need to sign the declaration form once, regardless of how many times you change the amount you want to borrow? After changing the amount, I received another letter from Student Finance with the new payment timetables etc. and also another declaration form.

Just once for each academic year.
Original post by DSWL

If the amount of finance has changed you need to sign the new one, if it's the same as the last one you signed then you don't.
Original post by StacFace
If the amount of finance has changed you need to sign the new one, if it's the same as the last one you signed then you don't.

The signed declaration is purely accepting the terms and conditions of the loan. I was told by SFE that only one a year was required, it didn't matter if there was a difference in the level of funding.
Original post by glf2110
The signed declaration is purely accepting the terms and conditions of the loan. I was told by SFE that only one a year was required, it didn't matter if there was a difference in the level of funding.

In that case I'd suggest ringing them to check because I was told that you do have to sign a new declaration form if the amount of finance changes.
I got an email today asking for financial evidence from my parents. When I log on to my account, it says 'awaiting financial evidence from mother... etc' and to go to the evidence section to see what is needed. When I go to the evidence section it says 'we are not awaiting any further information'. What??? Do I need to contact them or is there standard financial evidence that can be sent and should I just send it anyway?
Reply 6694
In that case I'd suggest ringing them to check because I was told that you do have to sign a new declaration form if the amount of finance changes.

This is incorrect. You're agreeing to the terms not to any specific sums of money. If you read the declaration you were signing you would see this and that there is no reference to the actual finance you will receive.
Reply 6695
Hi all. Quick question: I know the student finance application has to be done by the 31st May, but do they need to know bank details by the deadline too, or can that be left until July or August?

http://www.slc.co.uk/students/student-finance-england/frequently-asked-questions.aspx#Making%20your%20application‏

"If you have already signed and returned an Online Declaration letter within the same academic year you won't need to send another one. When you sign the Online Declaration you are agreeing to the terms and conditions of your funding only, you are not confirming that the course details or entitlement amounts are correct."
Reply 6697
right, so i'm having maaajor problems with student finance atm.

Basically, I'm French and only have a French passport, BUT i have lived in England for the past 15 years. When I got on to the nationality page of the application, i filled it in as I thought I should but then this error came up:
Attachment not found

I have NOT stated that I have lived abroad in the past 3 years. So I called up the student finance people, and the person helping was just about to explain something about filling in my current address until the call was cut off (my fault, i was in an area with really bad signal). So later in the day, I called again, and this time it was someone else, and she told me that I needed to fill in the paper form. What do I need to do, because I am so so so confused (and i'd much rather do it online then send in my passport because I don't want to fill out a 30 page form really)????

Please help! I need to get this sorted ASAP!

If you apply for more tuition fee loan then you'd need to complete and sign a further application form but not an "online declaration".
Original post by El_Matador
Can you apply for a Young Students Bursary whilst not taking a loan or do you have to take a loan from which the YSB deducts money?

bump.

Anybody got an answer to this question?
:colondollar:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending