The Student Room Group

Student Finance Applications - Q & A

Scroll to see replies

Hey, couple of quick questions.

The deadline is the 31st of May. Does this just mean me submitting my application without my parent sponsoring it or do both have to be done?

If I submit my application is there at any point i can make changes to it?

Also, I'll be studying at Imperial next year and i'll be living at home and I was aware that would allow me to be given roughly £7000 in a maintenance loan however they gave me an estimate of roughly 5000 pounds although i'm thinking that's because I haven't updated where i'll be staying during term time as I don't know exactly what the address is of the hall of residence i'll be put into in September. So yeah, just wanted to know does the estimate sometimes go up?

Thanks
Reply 6781
Hi, I chose to provide my parents financial information separately from my application, does this mean I should send my application off and then my parents do it after because when my mum tries to provide her information it says she has no student to support.
Can anyone help me?

Original post by <AdrianB>
Hey, couple of quick questions.

The deadline is the 31st of May. Does this just mean me submitting my application without my parent sponsoring it or do both have to be done?

If I submit my application is there at any point i can make changes to it?

Also, I'll be studying at Imperial next year and i'll be living at home and I was aware that would allow me to be given roughly £7000 in a maintenance loan however they gave me an estimate of roughly 5000 pounds although i'm thinking that's because I haven't updated where i'll be staying during term time as I don't know exactly what the address is of the hall of residence i'll be put into in September. So yeah, just wanted to know does the estimate sometimes go up?

Thanks

Pretty sure that's with financial evidence, but you can make changes. The deadline is to make sure they have enough time to process applications and make sure you get your payment at the beginning of term.

The £5000 is without financial evidence (mine's saying that too - applied for Imperial) and I think they'll update it when they process financial evidence, but if it's not done by next week I'm planning to ring them.

What are you studying at Imperial by the way? :smile:
My parents are divorced, if the parent i'm living with is living with a partner who is supporting his own children instead of me, do I still need to put him down on the student finance application?
Original post by catestevenson
Pretty sure that's with financial evidence, but you can make changes. The deadline is to make sure they have enough time to process applications and make sure you get your payment at the beginning of term.

The £5000 is without financial evidence (mine's saying that too - applied for Imperial) and I think they'll update it when they process financial evidence, but if it's not done by next week I'm planning to ring them.

What are you studying at Imperial by the way? :smile:

Ah nice, thanks for helping out.

I'm going to study biology but I don't know, im half-tempted to gap year and re-think my options if I triple A* it this year because i'm not totally sure biology is what I want to do now....
Reply 6785
Original post by Frampoid
My parents are divorced, if the parent i'm living with is living with a partner who is supporting his own children instead of me, do I still need to put him down on the student finance application?

Yes.
Hi, if on my account, it sets out when I will be payed in installment's, i.e.

1/10/12- £1,000
1/02/13 £1,000

etc...

Does that mean everything is done and dusted now...?

By the way, on my evidence section, it says...

"We are not waiting on any evidence items".

But then it says below it...

"We have returned your original birth certificate with appropriate declaration".

Only, when I got it through the post, there was only my birth certificate in the letter!

Sorry if I confused anyone!
hi guys just a quick question regarding filling in the form online. Bearing in mind that ive never had a job and im currently unemployed, have i filled in this part of the form correctly ??

http://img706.imageshack.us/img706/9374/finance1.jpg

http://img256.imageshack.us/img256/8301/finance2.jpg

thanks in advance for your help :smile:
Original post by taken4granted
hi guys just a quick question regarding filling in the form online. Bearing in mind that ive never had a job and im currently unemployed, have i filled in this part of the form correctly ??

http://img706.imageshack.us/img706/9374/finance1.jpg

http://img256.imageshack.us/img256/8301/finance2.jpg

thanks in advance for your help :smile:

I think you want no for "Will your employer be releasing you...".
Original post by catestevenson
I think you want no for "Will your employer be releasing you...".

ah ok lol thanks. have i missed anything else out ??
Reply 6790
HI, I am an EU student and I am filling out my student finance application.

At the end where there is the declaraction, I should give two contacts in case I move etc. but I dont have anybody that could serve as a contact and I am 100 percent sure I won't be moving anywhere.

Do I have to fill in these?

THanks for the help.:smile:
Original post by taken4granted
ah ok lol thanks. have i missed anything else out ??

Nope, not from what I've seen :smile:
Reply 6792
Hi, I phoned up SFE and got someone to cancel my application for 2012/2013, however its coming up with this:

New Picture (3).png
New Picture (4).png

This means I'm not able to reapply, however I do want to reapply. Do I need to phone them up again or will it sort itself out after a certain amount of days? Or something else completely? (It is my first year applying to student finance).
(edited 11 years ago)
hi just a quick one.

Towards the end of my application i get a break down of my loans which has "amount requested" and amount i'm entitled to.
For both maintenance and tuition loans it says "amount requested- maximum" (because thats what i want :P ) but for the maintenance grant it says "amount requested - N/A" even though im entitled to £3,250...does the N/A mean i wont get it or just that i cant request an amount and i get what im entitled to?...

Thanks for any help
Reply 6794
Original post by Care-Free
hi just a quick one.

Towards the end of my application i get a break down of my loans which has "amount requested" and amount i'm entitled to.
For both maintenance and tuition loans it says "amount requested- maximum" (because thats what i want :P ) but for the maintenance grant it says "amount requested - N/A" even though im entitled to £3,250...does the N/A mean i wont get it or just that i cant request an amount and i get what im entitled to?...

Thanks for any help

It's the latter part - you can't request a grant, you will be assessed and given the amount you're entitled to.
Original post by Shani
It's the latter part - you can't request a grant, you will be assessed and given the amount you're entitled to.

Ah thankyou :smile:
Reply 6796
Original post by slacker07906
Hi, if on my account, it sets out when I will be payed in installment's, i.e.

1/10/12- £1,000
1/02/13 £1,000

etc...

Does that mean everything is done and dusted now...?

By the way, on my evidence section, it says...

"We are not waiting on any evidence items".

But then it says below it...

"We have returned your original birth certificate with appropriate declaration".

Only, when I got it through the post, there was only my birth certificate in the letter!

Sorry if I confused anyone!

If payments and dates have appeared then yes your application has been processed. You will receive a letter setting out these dates and amounts.

Regarding your birth certificate, I presume you filled in the special declaration form for birth certificates when you sent it in to them?
Arrrrr guys my application is already late and I'm stuck!!!!
I went to uni a few years ago for one year, but it was a mistake. I know your allowed one 'fail' year but now I apparently have to justify it and provide evidence???
I have the welsh authority forms and it askes why I left my last course and has an evidence logo, which refers to this:
"If you did not finish your course due to compelling personal reasons (which does not include reasons of academic performance alone), you must give full details in this section and send the necessary documentary evidence to support the reasons you give"

I outlined the fact that I persuded the wrong career path originally but should I say it's based on academic performance? Would you think that means I then DON'T need to provide evidence and if I should either way. WHAT evidence? Eeeeeeeeeeee :confused:

Please quote me if you have any ideas guys :frown:
Okay my parents have the same customer reference number, is this right??
Reply 6799
Original post by 000katie000
Arrrrr guys my application is already late and I'm stuck!!!!
I went to uni a few years ago for one year, but it was a mistake. I know your allowed one 'fail' year but now I apparently have to justify it and provide evidence???
I have the welsh authority forms and it askes why I left my last course and has an evidence logo, which refers to this:
"If you did not finish your course due to compelling personal reasons (which does not include reasons of academic performance alone), you must give full details in this section and send the necessary documentary evidence to support the reasons you give"

I outlined the fact that I persuded the wrong career path originally but should I say it's based on academic performance? Would you think that means I then DON'T need to provide evidence and if I should either way. WHAT evidence? Eeeeeeeeeeee :confused:

Please quote me if you have any ideas guys :frown:

The fact that you didn't like your degree is not going to count as a compelling personal reason, nor is you failing or poor academic performance as they say.

The kind of thing they're thinking of would be maybe you were very ill, maybe a close family member was ill, that kind of thing.

Your reasons are not "compelling personal reasons"

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending