The Student Room Group

Student Finance Applications - Q & A

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jaydemikaela
What do you mean?

http://www.direct.gov.uk/prod_consum_dg/groups/dg_digitalassets/@dg/@en/@educ/documents/digitalasset/dg_200470.pdf

If you go to page 25 it shows you how much you should get based on income I think.

No worries, I used the calculator estimator to find it. It's a bit confusing :tongue:
Reply 7081
Um, the payment schedule letter only shows teh amounts of the tuition fee loan and not the grant, is that correct? The notification letter about the paymets I will recive states I will not have to pay anything to the uni myself and also explanes how the frant will be payed to the uni. So is it ok that the payment schedule letter only tels me about the loan payments?

And also does anyone know whether the EU12B forms have been sent out, has anyone recieved theirs (for students from EU)?
Reply 7082
Hi everyone, was hoping someone has an answer to my SF problem!

I completed a FDeng between 2007 and 2010, I then moved on to study a top-up year in 10/11 to turn it into a Beng, but didn't complete the year.

I took 11/12 as a year out, and I am looking to go back to a different uni this September on the same course, to complete the top-up year.

Student finance and given me confirmation of entitlement, but have told me I am only entitled to £3465 fees loan as that is what the course cost in 10/11. (This year is going to cost me £7495)

Is this correct? I rang to query it and the guy on the other end of the phone seemed a little unsure about what he was telling me.

Hopefully someone on here can clarify.

Thankyou!! :colondollar:

Matt
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 7083
Original post by catestevenson
That's ~£195 p/w, even for London that's a pretty expensive room choice. If you're so worried about money they you should have gone with something cheaper but you'll have to ring student finance to sort out any mistakes and any extra money you'll have to get from parents/a job.

I applied for the three cheapest halls and this is the one I got. i have no choice.
And no, I can't rent privately, at least not the first year. I'm not from London and don't know anyone there.
Reply 7084
Original post by mattc88
Hi everyone, was hoping someone has an answer to my SF problem!

I completed a FDeng between 2007 and 2010, I then moved on to study a top-up year in 10/11 to turn it into a Beng, but didn't complete the year.

I took 11/12 as a year out, and I am looking to go back to a different uni this September on the same course, to complete the top-up year.

Student finance and given me confirmation of entitlement, but have told me I am only entitled to £3465 fees loan as that is what the course cost in 10/11. (This year is going to cost me £7495)

Is this correct? I rang to query it and the guy on the other end of the phone seemed a little unsure about what he was telling me.

Hopefully someone on here can clarify.

Thankyou!! :colondollar:

Matt

Solved this, turns out I should have applied as a 'new student'.

Just goes to show that one numpty at the call centre giving you the wrong information could make a serious hash up of your education! Always double check!
I applied for student finance back in June, Sent in the paper application form, Checked the website today and it has finally updated with all the information off the form. However they are asking for this evidence;

"Please select which evidence items you will send in support of your application from the drop down list(s) below. When you have chosen which items you will be sending, click the ‘save and continue’ button to move on.
Loan request form
I cannot provide any of the items in the list above"

What does this mean? If I remember correctly I did sign the form that was included in the paper application form, Or is this another form that needs to be signed? Help?
Reply 7086
As of today i have to take my insurance, i've been onto student finance and changed my course details to my insurance placement, do i have to do anything else?
Hi all -

Applied for finance a while back and have been looking through it all again recently - noticed that the account you provide for them to deposit money into must be able to "accept direct credit" - I've never heard this term before. Anyone care to elaborate? If it helps, I have an under 19s account which is soon to become a student account.

Cheers
Reply 7088
Hello people! :wink:

I sent my application form for tuition fees ages ago but they replied that I need to certify a copy of my passport. I've just done it so I need to send just that certified copy? No need to send another application form?

Thankss!
Hey people. My student finance has been one long headache really for various reasons but it's basically ended in me only sending off my birth certificate today, when universty starts in three weeks,which is annyoing because i thought I'd finished ages ago.

I have enough to cover living etc... but how will it work in regards to tution and accomadation? Like when do they get paid, can it be delayed until after I receive the finace? It's the universty of glasgow if thats much help, and I'm looking around on the website but not finding much, plus my internet is a bit tempromental.

Original post by Chihiro94
Hey people. My student finance has been one long headache really for various reasons but it's basically ended in me only sending off my birth certificate today, when universty starts in three weeks,which is annyoing because i thought I'd finished ages ago.

I have enough to cover living etc... but how will it work in regards to tution and accomadation? Like when do they get paid, can it be delayed until after I receive the finace? It's the universty of glasgow if thats much help, and I'm looking around on the website but not finding much, plus my internet is a bit tempromental.

Hey, not sure I'm really qualified to answer this but if my uni is anything to go by, just make sure you explain your situation to someone in the finance department and see if you can delay the payment. There may be solutions such as paying in installments. They should be understanding/willing to help as long as you're organised and proactive - maybe consider getting in touch with them now to give them a heads up. Good luck.
Am I supposed to do anything after signing and sending the declaration letter back to them?
Original post by PerArduaAdAstra
Hi all -

Applied for finance a while back and have been looking through it all again recently - noticed that the account you provide for them to deposit money into must be able to "accept direct credit" - I've never heard this term before. Anyone care to elaborate? If it helps, I have an under 19s account which is soon to become a student account.

Cheers

I think all current accounts accept direct debit (I can't think why they wouldn't) so you should be fine :smile:
I'm trying to apply for finance, and I'll be living away from home.
But when it comes to the screen as to how much I will be getting in the maintenance loan it's saying that it'll be £4,988.00. It should be more shouldn't it.
Reply 7094
Right, I was quite late in doing my finance (not until July...ish). I needed to send confirmation of my mother's marital status to them, but i didn't (went on holiday and forgot about it!). Later, they posted a letter to my mother asking for financial details. She sent them off, but did it in a bit of a rush, and only probably sent them the right stuff... However, i got an email on Thursday from student finance saying they are "Awaiting Sponsor2 Financial Evidence". Does anyone know what they mean by this?

At this point i remembered the marital status confirmation and sent it via post, and that's all the evidence they were requesting on my mum's account, so sent it off. But now i'm worried that i'm going to be mega skint come freshers week! Does anybody know if they'd need anything else not listed on my mother's "evidence" section? Will phone them in the morning, but if anybody has a quick bit of knowledge it'd be very handy!!
Reply 7095
Have sent them my parent's financial evidence 3 times now and each time they've said it's unreadable. Meaning I haven't had the maintenance grant confirmed yet. Hope I can get it sorted before Uni begins.
Was doing the student regrsitation for my universty, had to the finance section as well, initally seemd to work, but now it has me down as paying £6750 for the 16th September which i can't pay. I think it thinks I'm self funded but I'm not, and I can't see any options to change it, I should be goverment funded. The rest of my application was filled in, it was just the ID bit that's late. Again, it's glasgow...I'm worried...I can handle the living/inital deposits but not the fee's etc.. :frown:
Original post by ocelotrevs
I'm trying to apply for finance, and I'll be living away from home.
But when it comes to the screen as to how much I will be getting in the maintenance loan it's saying that it'll be £4,988.00. It should be more shouldn't it.

Will you be living in London? I'm pretty sure that's the non means-tested amount for students living in London.
Reply 7098
I've applied for student finance, but I got my confirmed uni place through clearing so the course on my student finance and confirmed course are different but at the same uni.

What do I need to do now, to change my details?

Also, I haven't yet opened a student bank account and the details on my student finance application are with my present bank account.

How would I change this?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
SF called me today, to see that they require my mum's P60 despite telling me that everything was fine, and then queried why she was called Mrs when she's separated. What are the chances of this being sorted before term, because I can't afford to go with only a non-means tested loan.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending