The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

lella_m
I agree, but for me it's the opposite way around, I'm not sure how that works lol :/

I bought a cardigan this afternoon and I picked up my usual size 10 and it was really baggy on me - I was like 'WHAAAAAT?!'

The size 8 was a bit baggy too, so I had to opt for a size 6 - Now, usually I can't fit a size 6 over my hand, lmao - so I felt very strange buying it.

But, I just put it down to dodgey sizing on that particular garment.

I hate some clothes sizing, they should just all be the same, it'd make it so much easier for us all :p:

Haha :ditto: I guess H&M is just messed up.
Reply 21
not as bad as 1 out of 3 pairs of pants fitting me, all say they 36"... the one which fit, nicely fit, but the other 2 started to feel the squeeze on my upper legs...
Reply 22
Loool, im normally size 10-12 on top and I brought a size 14 shirt today and it was kinda tight...like wtf :lolwut:
I thought it was the other way around, sizes in H&M are bigger than usual sizes.
But than again, I live in Belgium. So that might has to do something about it.
Maybe we have different sizes, because you know...we are belgium.
Reply 24
I agree about their stuff being crap for small busted people! so generally dresses will fit me everywhere else but be way too small on my chest.

and im 5ft 3 so their jeans are way too long. they should do leg and waist measurments like topshop (BEST jeans ever)

AND yes their european sizes are all messed up. everywhere else 38 is size 10 but in h&m 38 is a size 12!
Bubbles*de*Milo
Shut it you. :mad:
I. Am. Not. A. Size. 16. Seriously, I'd rather die... :frown:

Well that's really reassuring for every larger girl out there. Oh no wait, every average girl out there.

OT:
Mum got me some skinnies in the sale while she was out shopping (£7 and BOGOF, bargain?!). She said my sister tried on a size 12 and it was tight, so she got me a size 14...I tried it on when she got home and I could barely do it up. I'm normally a 10-12.
Reply 26
I got a large t-shirt... what I normally wear, but it was skin-tight. Honestly, I had so many gay guys randomly saying "Hay!!" to me when I wore it. Now I use it as a vest.
Reply 27
Hmmm, I thought an 8 was 34 normally and a 10 was 36, I thought it was just New Look (I think it's there) that messed this up and made an 8 a 36! I'm confused now. When 36=8 it's always massive on me and H&M's 34 always fits although I generally consider myself to be an 8. Either way the sizing in all cheaper high street stores seems dodgy and inconsistent to me!
Reply 28

Yeah I agree. Don't think I've ever bought trousers or anything from there (since it's near impossible for me to find trousers that fit in the first place) but a few tops I've bought have been size 14. Which is crazy. I'm usually size 10. Lol
I always try stuff on before I buy, so I haven't had thr trouble of buying things that don't fit, but it's rather annoying to have to try on so many different sizes.
I give up on H&M, I walk out of those changing rooms feeling about 4 stone heavier and looking fondly at Evans. I actually couldn't fit in any of the size 16s I tried on the other day, and I'm generally a 12 and an ocassional 14. I think they probably get money from diet pill companies and let their factory people get drunk and have a stick a size label on anything party... :frown:
Reply 30
I went shopping yesterday, I was a size 10 in New Look, a size 12 in Topshop and a size 16 in H&M, I'm pretty fed up too. Plus all of their clothes get holes in, they're terrible quality
tops are always fine like 8-10 but trousers are tiny! end up buying a 12 unless theyre high waisted, bizarre. The dresses are super long too, im only 5"4 and they look like big sacks.
Reply 32
im the oposite im a size 10 in there and a 12-14 in other shops :s-smilie:
Reply 33
What really annoys me is their bras.

They have some nice ones but they only do a D-cup in certain ones, most only go up to C which is pretty ridiculous really, and I've never found one in my size at any H&M.
i always have to buy bigger there!! it's so retarded!
I agree - but the opposite ! My size is always smaller in H&M than anywhere else !
Reply 36
I'm a size 8/10. Tops/cardis are usually ok... but trouses - size 14 or so, and I recently bought a dress from there at a size 12. This thread has made me feel better though! Can continue to eat lots of sweeties :biggrin:
I've found the same thing. A couple of months ago, I needed a new pair of jeans. I tried several pairs on in different shops and found depending on where I was, the sizes were all completely different. Sometimes size 10 in say New Look fit perfectly, but in H&M I needed a size 14/16 which were far too long on me. However, on the rare occasion that I buy tops from H&M, I can fit into size 8s no problem, when I'm actually a 10/12.
H&M use the wrong sizing conversion, River Island use it too. The old standard was a 36 is an 8, it seems to be more and more common to discover that a 34 is an 8..yeah right it is. Topshop and the rest of Arcadia still use the old standard version. So H&M is technically smaller sizes than most other places.
Reply 39
It seems to depend on the item for me. I go down two sizes in the plain short-sleeved t-shirts, and up a size in everything else.

Also, the long-sleeved t-shirts fit differently depending on *colour* - I take an XS in white ones and an M in black. Which is odd.

Latest