The Student Room Group

Is it just me, or are H&M's sizing shocking?

Erm 'scuse me, but is it just I that finds H&Ms sizing completely odd?

I'm normally a size 8-10 in every shop i.e Topshop, Miss Selfridge etc.
I go into H and M today to get some skinny trousers and had to buy a 14 so they fitted properly. Now, as long as they look good- I couldnt care what size they are BUT...anyone else have this problem or is it just me? Just felt odd today buying a size 14 in one shop and a size in another...pfft this lack of standardisation.:p:

CT: Check the official H&M size guide
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Yeah, I've had the issue before too. Very hit and miss.
Reply 2
Yeah i find H&M weird, but in the reverse to your problem I'm size 8/10 and had to buy a size 4 skirt
No, pretty standard sizing in H&M, just **** quality.
The thing is European sizes are (I find) fairly standardised, for both clothing and shoes.
So a 34 top is in most shops a 6 but in H&M is actually an 8 (look at the labels - I think it's the same in Zara). So don't feel fat - it really is the clothes!
Miss_Scarlett
Erm 'scuse me, but is it just I that finds H&Ms sizing completely odd?

I'm normally a size 8-10 in every shop i.e Topshop, Miss Selfridge etc.
I go into H and M today to get some skinny trousers and had to buy a 14 so they fitted properly. Now, as long as they look good- I couldnt care what size they are BUT...anyone else have this problem or is it just me? Just felt odd today buying a size 14 in one shop and a size in another...pfft this lack of standardisation.:p:

this happens to me all the time, H&M is just weird their tops can be too big but their trousers are always too small for me.
Reply 6
Absolutely agree! I'm also normally a 8/ 10 size, but have size 14 tops from H&M. It makes the size system pointless when there are such wildly differing sizes doesn't it?
Reply 7
Yesh, I've had this issue a fair bit too. I am normally a size 12 and in H&M sometimes I've been hard pushed to fit in a 14. Standardisation! x
No problems here..
Reply 9
My mum refuses to shop in H&M for this reason.

Also I agree on the crap quality.
omg yes absolutely agree with everyone on here. my favourite hoody i got a couple of months back from H&M.. i had to buy a size SIXTEEN. im usually a 10/12! :confused: how ridiculous! i put up with it though cos H&M is one of my fave stores! love their clothes :smile: i bought a size 12 dress from there too, and it wouldnt even go over my boobs!! :eek: i find their clothes are for v small busted people! :stomp:
I've never been happy with H&M's sizing. Their clothes are always too long in the body and are always whole sizes smaller than they should be.
At one point I couldn't fit into a size 16 trouser and I was a size 14 in all other shops.
I also have tops that are XS, which I certainly, was not!
i agree i find their tops, skirts and dresses are fine in terms of size but trousers n shorts are dodgy
Omg, yes! I bought some skinnies there a few days back. A size 16.

I have never been a size 16 in my life. ¬_¬
Reply 14
I'm an 8-10 and I always fit small or sizes 8-10 :s-smilie:. It's the length I have trouble with. I'm 5ft3 and everything is waaaaaaay too long! They need a petite section.
Reply 15
Bubbles*de*Milo
Omg, yes! I bought some skinnies there a few days back. A size 16.

I have never been a size 16 in my life. ¬_¬

Maybe you put on weight in between shops? :unsure:
Menswear doesn't escape. I can fit into their XL t-shirts depsite normally being an XXL but when I tried on an XXL jumper it was super, super tight. Not that they normally have anything in an XXL or a waist size over 38 which really gets on my wick. Fat people like H&M too.
Yeah I always have to go up a size (from an 8 to a 10) in H&M for trousers/jeans. Tops usually fit me alright in there though:smile:
Folderol
Maybe you put on weight in between shops? :unsure:

Shut it you. :mad:
I. Am. Not. A. Size. 16. Seriously, I'd rather die... :frown:
Reply 19
I always try everything I buy on so it doesn't really matter!

Latest