Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Largest library fine you've incurred?

Announcements Posted on
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    £10 plus a replacement book for one that they lost. Lesson learned - always return books through a method that gives you a receipt and puts it on the system; don't use one of those anonymous post boxes.
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    12.20 and I thought this was bad! Not compared to values on here obviously.............
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I have never taken a book out of the library
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    A boy at my school got a library fine of over £200 from the school library in year 10 as he had not returned a book that he had had since year 7. I think it had just accumulated over time and no one had paid attention to it until memos were delivered to people with outstanding books at the end of term.

The alternative to paying the fine was to pay the price of the book, which was considerably lower at about £15; he did neither.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    One of my friends had a library fine that was around £400. She had 4 short loan books out from the uni library (which have a £1 per day overdue fine) and taken them home over the summer holidays.

She cried her eyes out in the library and got the fine down to £10 per book.

My largest fine was £25. I had 5 books out from the local library but they have a cap of £5 per book. Otherwise it would have been a hell of a lot more.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WestHamJake)
    Pay a Library fine = Geek. :yep:
    Ooh, a badass
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I thought reading comments on this thread would make me feel better about my highest library fine... Made me feel a billion times worse. I'm not proud to say that this spring I got a fine for 800€, approx £635.
    Do I get a prize or something?
    • 56 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SilverSun)
    I thought reading comments on this thread would make me feel better about my highest library fine... Made me feel a billion times worse. I'm not proud to say that this spring I got a fine for 800€, approx £635.
    Do I get a prize or something?
    How did you manage that?

Did you pay it?
    • 56 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ily_em)
    I recently found a book in my room which I took out from my local library over 2 years ago (I haven't used the library since). I'm a bit concerned about what will happen if I try to return it! The thing is, I took the book out before I could get fined (was under 18) so I'm not sure if they'll fine me or not. It's a bit odd that they've never asked me about it though, since they do have my address and contact number :erm:
    I have the same dilemma!

Haha, I don't want to go the library.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    It was a scratch over twenty nicker; something like £20.14.

Like an absolute boss, I ordered my girlfriend to go in and pay it for me.

The book in question, you ask? Helen Chadwick's Effluvia.

Also:

In 1668 Walpole borrowed a German biography book about the Archbishop of Bremen from the library of Sidney Sussex College. It was finally found in 1956 when Professor John Plumb and the 5th Marquess of Cholmondeley discovered the book in Houghton Hall's library. The book was quickly returned, 288 years after it was checked out.

I think he's trumped everyone in this thread. Luckily, his death would have absolved him of the fine.
    • 32 followers

ReputationRep:
    At our uni, you're not allowed to graduate if you have any fines outstanding. I have a friend who is refusing to pay 5p "out of principle" because the fine is a mistake (it was a mistake by the way) and is now not allowed to graduate. Over 5p.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    glad there's no interest on it. mines £3 but it still sucks paying it.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tehforum)
    How did you manage that?

Did you pay it?
    I laughed and cried and the next morning I went to the office to have a little chat with the manager or someone. We had a 45 minute debate... Apparently it was all my fault and they insisted that I pay (they had probably already made plans for all that money). I told them there was no way that I was gonna pay, and I did have a strong case against them and blamed their poor communication. Got off the hook but I don't think I'm welcome for a while
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I had to pay 16 pounds library fine otherwise they wouldn't let me get clearance for graduation. It very annoying and disappointing.
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox)
    At our uni, you're not allowed to graduate if you have any fines outstanding. I have a friend who is refusing to pay 5p "out of principle" because the fine is a mistake (it was a mistake by the way) and is now not allowed to graduate. Over 5p.
    That's pretty much the norm with every university everywhere in the world, at my current uni, if you owe any money to the uni under any circumstances your results will be withheld until you settle your debts.

If you have to take a module that has a pre-requisite and it so happens your results for that module is stuck then you won't be allowed to register for that module you need.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    £0
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    ~£10.25 at my school library.
    You're charged 5p a day for each book you take out (so say you had ten books out, it'd be 50p a day) and 50p a day for any DVDs/videos.
    Not very exam-period friendly.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    £57.85 and I really can't pay it!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    £90 and they were threatening me with debt collectors, although I did have a legitimate reason I swearzzz!!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Not me but a friend of mine took out about 8 books and when she went back 2 months later she was landed with a £60 bill. She returned the books but she never paid the fine.

It is a bit extortionate but I know the librarys have to be funded somehow.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: August 31, 2012
New on TSR

Halloween 2014

Join the TSR Halloween party...if you dare!

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered books, literature & poetry threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.