The Student Room Group
Reply 1
be an economist :smile:
Reply 2
I'm looking at NGOs, but it doesn't really fulfil the "well-paid" aspect...
Reply 3
wat about working for firms like Accenture
Reply 4
Accountancy?
Reply 5
Acturial Work, Management Consultancy
Civil Service - the Government probably employs more economists than all the IBs and consultancies put together.
Reply 7
sb1986
.......from doing an economics degree at a top 5 uni? All I seem to read is about IB but it sounds like ur overworked and stressed, doesnt sound to enjoyable. So there must be other jobs around that are enjoyable and well paid :rolleyes:

There are certainly a lot of jobs open to Economics graduates, you don't have to restrict yourself to the finance sector either. Economics combines a decent level of numeracy with a decent level of "communication" and in such way contains both science and humanity elements, which makes it very desirable for employers in most fields :smile: .

You could go into most careers open to maths graduates without much of a problem I assume, or into academics also.
Reply 8
mobb_theprequel
Civil Service - the Government probably employs more economists than all the IBs and consultancies put together.

Yes that is true, and could also go into a form of government intelligence through GCHQ, which would although not very well paid, be a very satisfying job I think.
Here are just a few suggestions of where economics graduates can end up:

1) As an economist at the Foreign Office service (usually sent abroad to study and analyse the economy of a particular country).

2) As an analyst at the Bank of England (If you enter their PGS1 or PGS2 scheme, they will sponsor you to do a masters in economics after working at the bank for a while).

3) As a professional economist at the Government Economic Service (although you have to be pretty damn good to get in!)

4) As an analyst at the Competition Commission. Your job would involve investigating mergers and other potentially anti-competitive behaviour and coming to conclusions as to whether a merger should be allowed to go ahead, etc.

5) As a researcher at the Institute for Fiscal Studies (IFS). You probably can't just walk into the IFS after only completing an undergraduate degree...but the work there is pretty interesting...for example, you might find out why it is that the UK as a whole is massively under-investing in Research and Development?

5) As a strategy consultant at 'boutique consultancies' such as McKinsey & Co. & Booz Allen Hamilton. (If you're lucky enough to land a business analyst job with McKinsey, they will employ you for two years, after which, they will fully fund you to do an MBA and come back as an associate!)

6) As an economic consultant at firms such as Charles River Associates (when you join as an analyst, you will be using your economics degree very directly in devising sound economic and financial arguments that could be used in a legal context).

7)As a corporate/commercial lawyer. Once you complete your economics degree, you can do a law conversion course and get a training contract with a 'magic circle' firm and then join their commercial law department where you look at mergers etc.. from a legal perspective.

8) As an economic policy advisor at the UN (this job is definately not open to undergraduates, but one of the prerequisites of such a position includes studies in economics up to Phd level).

9)As an 'agent' on the Mi5 graduate programme (not directly related to economics but they look for 'intellectual incisiveness' and analytical skills which are well-developed in a good economics degree programme!)

10) As a financial/economic journalist at reputable institutions such as the FT and the Economist (although competition is extremely tough).

Just a few i got ages ago from some websites.
Reply 10
lol, thats heavy thanks......