The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
On the contrary, I've heard it being quoted as having amongst the highest graduate prospects amongst the likes of LSE. As usual league tables (particulary the more subjective ones like graduate prospects and student satisfaction) can be as meaningless as they are informative. Manchester in particular doesn't seem to be well represented by either the Times or the Guardian rankings. These same rankings have placed dozens of universities above Oxbridge for graduate prospects in certain subjects so they carry little merit. In terms of graduate prospects Manchester's probably just behind the traditional elite UK unis of Oxbridge, Bristol, UCL, LSE, Durham, Warwick etc. Though this varies so much from subject to subject it's difficult to accurately gauge.
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Reply 2
It's a pretty bad University..
Reply 3
The "graduate prospects" score is defined as the number of students in "graduate jobs" (i.e ones that require a degree) 6 months after leaving university.

Firstly this measure tells you more about the economy than how good a university is. There are more graduate jobs per student in London than there are in Manchester for example (and Manchester has a high student-population ratio) so students who remain in london have a greater chance of getting a graduate job quickly after leaving university.

Apparently Manchester also has a higher than average number of students who go travelling after university which will considerably affect the results given the 6 month factor.
Reply 4
Thanks Frodz. That is interesting
Reply 5
Graduate prospects isn't any inidcation of the quality of an academic instituion, especially not alone. For a start, it really depends what you mean by prospects. The newspaper rankings use "graduate jobs or study within six months after graduating". Six months is nothing and, what's more, many students chose to travel or volunteer during their year out rather than go straight into graduate employment.

It's true that a number of top universities have modest grad prospects compared to so-called inferior unis (often ex-polys). This is usually because the new universities focus on vocational courses (nursing, surveying, physiotherapy, pharmach, teaching) and often a strong focus on regional employment links and work placements. This says more for the quality and achievements of the new universities, it doesn't make unis like Manchester rubbish.
Reply 6
I thought Manchester has rather high graduate prospects?? :s
Lana-90
I thought Manchester has rather high graduate prospects?? :s

It does in some, doesn't in others. That's why it's all so subjective.
Reply 8
River85
Graduate prospects isn't any inidcation of the quality of an academic instituion, especially not alone. For a start, it really depends what you mean by prospects. The newspaper rankings use "graduate jobs or study within six months after graduating". Six months is nothing and, what's more, many students chose to travel or volunteer during their year out rather than go straight into graduate employment.

It's true that a number of top universities have modest grad prospects compared to so-called inferior unis (often ex-polys). This is usually because the new universities focus on vocational courses (nursing, surveying, physiotherapy, pharmach, teaching) and often a strong focus on regional employment links and work placements. This says more for the quality and achievements of the new universities, it doesn't make unis like Manchester rubbish.

Manchester students most targted by employers

http://www.manchester.ac.uk/international/news/students/
Reply 9
Dom1989
Manchester students most targted by employers

http://www.manchester.ac.uk/international/news/students/

I didn't say they weren't :confused: I just said that the "graduate prospects" as used by the newspapers ain't particularly sound as many students chose to take time out for six months or a year.

I wouldn't take these surveys (including the Times High Fliers) too literally. Although Manchester, even just due to its size and number of graduates, will easily be up there.
River85
I didn't say they weren't I just said that the "graduate prospects" as used by the newspapers ain't particularly sound as many students chose to take time out for six months or a year.

I wouldn't take these surveys (including the Times High Fliers) too literally. Although Manchester, even just due to its size and number of graduates, will easily be up there.

I think that he was simply agreeing with you -- using that link as corroborating evidence -- rather than trying to refute anything you said. :smile:
Reply 11
River85
I didn't say they weren't :confused: I just said that the "graduate prospects" as used by the newspapers ain't particularly sound as many students chose to take time out for six months or a year.

I agree with you, I was just using the link as evidence to back your point.
Reply 12
Can I ask, in terms of graduate prospects, how much worse is MMU than UoM?
Reply 13
UPDATE

I was looking on Unistats and they contradict The Times.

Unistats says Manchester is centred around rank 15 for graduate prospects (economics).

So in conclusion i think its wise not to be concerned with The Times ranking lol
Reply 14
According to the 2009 graduate market report (http://www.highfliers.co.uk/download/GraduateMarket09.pdf) Manchester is actually the no.1 target for leading graduate recruiters.
I really don't see how a university ranked 29th in the world (according to Times Higher education review) can be considered to give its graduates low future prospects.
That being said, league tables aren't everything and you shouldn't base your entire life around them.
Reply 15
it is? were told all the time that it has the MOST employable grads in the UK.. the careers service is number 1, and has been for a few years now.

Maybe the economics course is waste? (jokin). Ignore these daft ratings
Reply 16
Getting the job isn't only up to the university's reputation. You yourself need to be good.
Annecdotal I know, but of my immediate cohort of CompSci grads: two have gained employment in IBs (no mean feat right now), another at GCHQ and I in bleeding edge software boutique.

We're all being paid at or above the graduate average.

Latest

Trending

Trending