The Student Room Group

What reasons are there for psychiatric referral in medical students?

So one of the students on my friend's course has been kicked out of medicine as the psychiatrist apparently deemed her unfit to practise.

I just found out today and I'm gobsmacked as apparently she didn't fail a single exam and she had got as far as fourth year. I think she was anorexic but that is as far as I know.

This has made me panic a lot as I sometimes get depressed and I am not sure whether this would eventually lead to a referal.

Any thoughts?
Reply 1
Faith in the system says if you are unfit to be in a position of such a authority as a physician you won't be allowed, but I heavily doubt you are so very unstable. Don't worry... because ironically.. that might make you unstable!
oh ****
Reply 3
Heartbroken9
I just found out today and I'm gobsmacked as apparently she didn't fail a single exam and she had got as far as fourth year. I think she was anorexic but that is as far as I know.Passing or failing exams is the least of anyone's worries.

It's an unusual step and reserved for the most seriously ill individuals, although the incidence of mental illness is higher in medical students and doctors, the vast, vast majority of them are able to practice without any problem. Depression, particularly when it is accompanied by good insight, which you appear to have, would be an unlikely FTP risk.

What is important is that people are upfront and honest about psychiatric conditions since being secretive is not only destructive but shows a lack of probity and could be held against someone.

Remember that there is a lot of support available for doctors and medical students through their medical school, student union, BMA, MedNet, Nightline and their own GP.
Reply 4
Interesting. I read once that you can continue as a doctor as long as you are not a danger to your patients and can practise safely? I may be wrong here, please correct me if so.
Reply 5
No Future
Interesting. I read once that you can continue as a doctor as long as you are not a danger to your patients and can practise safely? I may be wrong here, please correct me if so.
Essentially yes.

Latest

Trending

Trending