The Student Room Group

A-levels: Relative Difficulty and Uni Admissions Selection criteria

Scroll to see replies

ola
Reply 41
Lolwut? My Cambridge offer is based on a subject blacklisted by Cambridge? Wow :p:
Reply 42
Salparadise
Thankyou for compiling this list, it's very useful. It's a shame schools/colleges arn't more open about the relative worth attached to A Levels as many students don't realise they can seriously jeoporadise their chances of studying at the best/most prestigious unis before they've even taken an exam!

Well yes I think open-ness is a good idea. But subject choice is most relevant for the most popular courses at the top unis. So in many cases it is not that critical.

Salparadise
I too would have thought Eng Lit would be higher than (at best) 18th. Alongside History it's one of the traditional essay subjects.

Well there is no uni representation data for English and perhaps English is one of those subjects that students take becuase they love it rather than because they have to. Hence students do well at it and hence it can look 'easy'.

Salparadise
Whilst some may claim you should choose "subjects you like" its certainly more pragmatic to choose the most respected and challenging courses if you have ambitions for the most selective universities. I adore Economics, History and Eng Lit but would have certainly chosen Physics over Eng Lang if I'd known how revered the subject is (and how life affirming having begun reading 'A Brief History of Time'). Choosing traditional subjects to attain entry to the more traditional universities has always been logical to the more academiccly aware but unfortunately many people who arn't are never overtly told this by teachers or admissions staff.

Economics, History and Eng Lit are all good subjects and I don't think your subject choice will stop you getting into a good uni. (Unless you want to do econ at uni in which case Maths is pretty much mandatory at the top 11 unis). But yes Physics would show that you have a different set of skills from essay based subjects.

Glad you like 'A Brief History of Time'. I read it when it first came out in 1988. (I guess you were not even born then?). depending on how well your summer exams go and what other demands there are on your time you could even think about doing Physics AS next year.

nuodai
Lolwut? My Cambridge offer is based on a subject blacklisted by Cambridge? Wow :p:

Well Psychology is not blacklisted by Cambridge (as far as I know) and I have only 'redlisted' it. But yes Psychology is an uncommon A-level at top unis. However you do have 4 A-levels...
Psychology (0.4,0.5) (16th, 12th)
Well there is no uni representation data for English and perhaps English is one of those subjects that students take becuase they love it rather than because they have to. Hence students do well at it and hence it can look 'easy'.

True I think English draws an emotional response from students unlike any other subject.

Economics, History and Eng Lit are all good subjects and I don't think your subject choice will stop you getting into a good uni. (Unless you want to do econ at uni in which case Maths is pretty much mandatory at the top 11 unis). But yes Physics would show that you have a different set of skills from essay based subjects.

Glad you like 'A Brief History of Time'. I read it when it first came out in 1988. (I guess you were not even born then?). depending on how well your summer exams go and what other demands there are on your time you could even think about doing Physics AS next year.

Yes I unfortunately developed ambitions for a PPE/Economics degree after choosing my AS's so I'm also teaching myself Maths for the summer AS exams. It's hard and nerve wracking learning it so close to exams but thanks to www.mathsnetalevel.com I am progressing.

That's an intriguing suggestion a Physics as would give my application an edge, though I'd only be able to mention it pre-emptively on my PS.
Reply 44
Salparadise
True I think English draws an emotional response from students unlike any other subject.

Yes I unfortunately developed ambitions for a PPE/Economics degree after choosing my AS's so I'm also teaching myself Maths for the summer AS exams. It's hard and nerve wracking learning it so close to exams but thanks to www.mathsnetalevel.com I am progressing.

That's an intriguing suggestion a Physics as would give my application an edge, though I'd only be able to mention it pre-emptively on my PS.

So what subjects are you taking for AS-level?
And why can't you learn maths at school?
And grades are you predicted?
And what subjects are you thinking of doing for A-level?

And where are you thinking of applying to?
And are you more interested in PPE or Economics?

Finally what GCSE grades did you get?
xxx
Reply 46
Salparadise
Eng Lit, Eng Lang, History, Economics, Maths and Critical Thinking.

1) Firstly don't do Physics. e.g. 6 AS-levels is plenty for anyone.

Salparadise
I have attended some of the maths lessons but the teacher is terrible (20% fail rate for the year in January modules!) so I am better off teaching myself. I got two A(*)s in History and Econ in the Jan modules with full marks in Econ and am predicted AAAA (excluding Maths and Crit Thinking).
2) So are you thinking of doing all 6 to A-level?

Salparadise
My GCSE's are very medicore: AAAABBBCCC, but as I worked for three years post-school they were a while ago and I hope more emphasis will be placed on my A levels.
3) Apart from a few specific example I really don't think unis rate GCSEs that much. (exception for economics are LSE and Notts). Academically what counts are Actual AS grades and A-level predictions. Also institutions whose selection criteria include GCSEs are flexible (e.g. if you went to a crap school) and also it is different in the case of mature students.

Salparadise
I am more interested in PPE as both the study of Economics and Philosophy as independent subjects (Existentialism in particular) and the interdependence of the three areas appeal- something which Warwick is exploring from what I've read.

4) I don't know that much about the Warwick PPE course. But one of the teachers on it is Peter Hammond a Great Economist who is very interested in Philosophy.

Salparadise
I would want to study the best PPE course, but with my GCSEs and the brutal competiton for places Oxford is out of the question.

5) What makes you think that Oxford is not possible?

Salparadise
York's course has a great reputation and the prospectus informs me it is intense, requiring a forty hour working week, which appeals. Manchester, Warwick and Exeter also appear the best institutions to apply to.

You should apply to a range of places.
So
1) Find all the places that offer PPE.
(UCAS Course Search 2009 gives 16 places for PPE).
2) Find the Typical offer for each uni
3) Look at one of the Newspaper League Tables (e.g. Times) and get the average points for each of the 3 subjects (Politics, Philisophy and Economics) at each of the 16 unis.
4) Work out your approximate UCAS tariff points.
e.g. AAAAAa is 5*120+60=660 points.
Then compare how your points c.f. the average points at each uni.
5) Select 5 unis which vary in terms of how competitive they are. e.g. both in terms of offers and average points.

Also re-check this once the 2010 typical offers and 2010 League Tables are out.

How your current 4 unis would rate in this process I don't know. But for straight econ you would be in an incredibly strong position for Manchester, Exeter and York.

Salparadise
Do you think my GCSE's make my acceptance on any of these courses unlikely?

6) In short no I don't see the GCSE issue as critical. (see answer 2 above for a fuller discussion).

Finally check out my (long) sticky threads in the economics forum. They should be of some value even for PPE.
1) Firstly don't do Physics. e.g. 6 AS-levels is plenty for anyone.

I was thinking of dropping Eng Lang for A2 and taking up Physics AS. However this may be too much work and would probably have little affect on my application as I could only use the Physics post-qualification

2) So are you thinking of doing all 6 to A-level?

No I will drop English Language as A2 Maths and History will be very demanding.
5) What makes you think that Oxford is not possible
My sub-standard GCSE's (from a successful grammar school), break from education and lack of impressive EC's such as music, sport or debating.From what I've now read on here Oxford's admissions procedure is far more rigorous than simple grade fascism a la LSE and many candidates who have progressed greatly since GCSEs receive offers. Knowing this, if I recieve the grades I aim for, I will apply to one of the mature colleges.

You should apply to a range of places.
So
1) Find all the places that offer PPE.
(UCAS Course Search 2009 gives 16 places for PPE).
2) Find the Typical offer for each uni
3) Look at one of the Newspaper League Tables (e.g. Times) and get the average points for each of the 3 subjects (Politics, Philisophy and Economics) at each of the 16 unis.
4) Work out your approximate UCAS tariff points.
e.g. AAAAAa is 5*120+60=660 points.
Then compare how your points c.f. the average points at each uni.
5) Select 5 unis which vary in terms of how competitive they are. e.g. both in terms of offers and average points.

Finally check out my (long) sticky threads in the economics forum. They should be of some value even for PPE.

Thanks for all the help:smile: .
Reply 48
Salparadise
I was thinking of dropping Eng Lang for A2 and taking up Physics AS. However this may be too much work and would probably have little affect on my application as I could only use the Physics post-qualification

Well you could fill in Physics on the UCAS form. But with no actual and possibly no predicted grade an extra AS-level may not be worth that much.

Salparadise
No I will drop English Language as A2 Maths and History will be very demanding.

Well 5 A-levels is still a lot.

Salparadise
My sub-standard GCSE's (from a successful grammar school), break from education and lack of impressive EC's such as music, sport or debating.From what I've now read on here Oxford's admissions procedure is far more rigorous than simple grade fascism a la LSE and many candidates who have progressed greatly since GCSEs receive offers. Knowing this, if I recieve the grades I aim for, I will apply to one of the mature colleges.

Do you mean if you get good AS-level grades or good A-level grades?

Salparadise
Thanks for all the help:smile: .

Here is my attempt at a PPE League Table:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=870981
Do you mean if you get good AS-level grades or good A-level grades?

AS grades as these are what I will have to apply with.
Reply 50
Salparadise
AS grades as these are what I will have to apply with.

That sounds very sensible.
(I was just checking you were not thinking of applying to Oxford post A-level and hence delaying a year).
ergh no offence but who cares if theyre blacklisted by LSE and Cambridge? not me for one.
Reply 52
Katieloula
ergh no offence but who cares if theyre blacklisted by LSE and Cambridge? not me for one.

It implies that there's something wrong with the subject and, while other universities don't openly have a blacklist against them, many still won't like those subjects.
Reply 53
Katieloula

If you are not applying for a competitive course you are correct it may not matter that much if you have a soft subject as a 3rd A-level. But it could matter a lot if it is a competitive course to get onto.
There's nothing wrong with the subjects, they're just seen as easy. People think Health and Social Care is easy, by the way I am not doing it, but the highest grade achieved in my year is a C, and I know people who do it, and they were revising for months. Different Unis are renound for different things, therefore not all look at Cambridge and LSE as something to base or share views with. Some idiot asked at Cardiff Social Sciences open day how would they rate themselves against Cambridge and the answer was that they wouldn't, as they're no where near them in the league tables. I just hate people being snobby about going to Oxford, LSE or Cambridge. I know people who have gone there and dropped out because they hated it so much, to quote them, it was "crammed full of toffs that had got their As from one to one tutorage and public school classes of ten."
Reply 55
Law or Politics? I'm stuck on my AS choices =\
I'm currently studying Maths, Chemistry, Eng Lit and History. Do you recommend I do all 4 at A2?
Reply 57
Tomrandomnumber
I'm currently studying Maths, Chemistry, Eng Lit and History. Do you recommend I do all 4 at A2?

Well that depends on a lot of things. e.g.:
i)How well you do at AS
ii)What subject you want to study at uni.
iii) which unis you want to apply to.
Definitely agree English Literature should be up there.
I'm interested in hearing how you'd rate Latin though, Paul. For GCSE I got B in Maths, A* A* in English Lit/Lang and A in Latin. I'm looking at A in Maths A Level, A in English Lit and B (hopefully A) in Latin. From my experience, I've personally found Latin has made Maths and English Lit A level seem simplistic in comparison, despite me having to work that much harder in maths. I mean for A2 Latin alone I'm having to learn 550 lines of latin in memory for a comprehension/essay/translation, learn prosody, learn/be able to use pretty much a (thick) book full of grammar rules (including declensions, conjugations and rules for writing english to latin), learn/be able to use the principle parts of over 1000 latin words eng to latin and vice versa. That added to the harsh marking of the examination and the fact that the exam will contain words you've never seen before.... very difficult stuff!
Reply 59
Salparadise
Thankyou for compiling this list, it's very useful. It's a shame schools/colleges arn't more open about the relative worth attached to A Levels as many students don't realise they can seriously jeoporadise their chances of studying at the best/most prestigious unis before they've even taken an exam!

I too would have thought Eng Lit would be higher than (at best) 18th. Alongside History it's one of the traditional essay subjects.

Whilst some may claim you should choose "subjects you like" its certainly more pragmatic to choose the most respected and challenging courses if you have ambitions for the most selective universities. I adore Economics, History and Eng Lit but would have certainly chosen Physics over Eng Lang if I'd known how revered the subject is (and how life affirming having begun reading 'A Brief History of Time'). Choosing traditional subjects to attain entry to the more traditional universities has always been logical to the more academiccly aware but unfortunately many people who arn't are never overtly told this by teachers or admissions staff.

Sooooo tru
our school never mentioned the values of diff alevels when we had our choices 2 make and now im regrettin it soo muuch wen i see this

im doing maths, further maths, economics and pyschology
but i dont wana continue either econ or psyco i wish i took a science
do u think those subjects will present me as a bad prospect for uni??
and wat should i do an A2 in 1 year (and if which?) or should i continue with econ/psyco??
im soooo worried.. HELP

for backgroudn: i got all As and A*s in GCSEs (3 A*s for da 3 sciences but didnt pick 1 for alevels :mad: )

Quick Reply

Latest