The Student Room Group

A-levels: Relative Difficulty and Uni Admissions Selection criteria

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Paulwhy
As the representation figures for Media studies at Top 20-50 unis are high: 0.8 for all grades, 1.1 for A grades and 0.7 for A+B grades. Hence I have made them purple. The A-level data for Media studies is joint with Film Studies. So they are both now Purple:

Does that mean they've been promoted? :P
Reply 101
cfc1992
Does that mean they've been promoted? :P

You mean like Burnley? :smile:
I think think your thread is very very well made and it's very useful..

However, year 10's and year 11's could find it difficult to understand all the codes and A(1.1,1.1,1.0) stuff etc!
It took me a while to figure it out

Any ways it could be made easier?

Is there forum code or LaTeX code to create a table or something?
Reply 103
neomilan

However, year 10's and year 11's could find it difficult to understand all the codes and A(1.1,1.1,1.0) stuff etc!

Not that I am aware of. But yes that would make a big improvement.
In this particualr case I tried:
i)using multiple spaces (but TSR stripped them out)
ii)checking out all the forum codes documented in the help forum did not help either.
Reply 104
neomilan

I have takend advise and hopefully it is now a bit better. :smile:
Reply 105
Note, LSE missing from Top 10 unis reduces the Economics representation figures.
I'm going 4 A levels: History, English Lit, Classics & Politics
...glad that 3 out of the 4 are green, but that just makes everything so much harder!
Politics being blue is perfect for me lol.

I was thinking of doing a fifth: Chemistry.

But having seen how "hard" my chosen four are, am I asking too much of myself?

Little advice please?!!
Reply 107
BapeStahh
I'm going 4 A levels: History, English Lit, Classics & Politics
...glad that 3 out of the 4 are green, but that just makes everything so much harder!
Politics being blue is perfect for me lol.

I was thinking of doing a fifth: Chemistry.

But having seen how "hard" my chosen four are, am I asking too much of myself?

Little advice please?!!

Well you know your own abilities better than me!
hey guys, how does the ucas system work next year for applying to university, do we now have to declare all our AS results? :smile:
Reply 109
AlexNicholson1991
hey guys, how does the ucas system work next year for applying to university, do we now have to declare all our AS results? :smile:

Try posting in UCAS Applications.
Reply 110
I don't think it matters if u done 2 red subjects and a black. there are plenty of good unis that will accept any 3 subjects so long as u get good grades for a number of courses, e.g. leicester for law.:smile:
Reply 111
byday
I don't think it matters if u done 2 red subjects and a black. there are plenty of good unis that will accept any 3 subjects so long as u get good grades for a number of courses, e.g. leicester for law.:smile:

If you could provide a link for that that would be vey helpful.
I'm amazed that accounts is ranked that low; accounts is a very hard subject compared to most other subjects which are ranked higher. Can anyone explain this?
I do English Language, Geography and Media Studies as my 3 A Levels, and I've got AAA offers from St Andrew's and Durham for Geography and International Relations (which surely is a very academically-focused and over-subscribed course?), this thing is surely just creating a panic for people who have already selected their A Levels, as it's primarily those applying to university who are on here? All I say is do whatever subjects you want to do, don't let some snooty university professors look down on you because you decided you'd do something more relevant to your interests and something you'd find more engaging rather than being bored half to death by thing you have no interest whatsoever in. All this media-bashing is a bit unfair, I did it because the course looked interesting, not because I wanted an easy A.
Reply 114
fueled_by_ryan
I do English Language, Geography and Media Studies as my 3 A Levels, and I've got AAA offers from St Andrew's and Durham for Geography and International Relations (which surely is a very academically-focused and over-subscribed course?)

Firstly and most importantly congrats on getting the offers you want for the subject you want. Excellant.
You have:
Geography (1Arts)
Engl Language (3Arts)
Media B 3(Arts)
So yes that suggests that the unis you applied to are happy to accept English Language as a "first" A-level (at least in your case) for your course.

But I am not that convinced that Geography is relatively that hard a subject to get offers for. e.g. it is 19th out of 47th subjects in inter-subject competivity table:
http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=rBBjUHsOYn5004-ZyID_xtQ&output=html

fueled_by_ryan
this thing is surely just creating a panic for people who have already selected their A Levels, as it's primarily those applying to university who are on here?

Yes this info is of most use to pre A-level students (of whom there are a number on TSR). It is also of use to year 12 considering what subject to carry on with to A2 and to year 13 students wanting to know one of the factors that may effect their UCAS chancesb and so they can avoid the dreaded 5 rejections.

fueled_by_ryan
All I say is do whatever subjects you want to do, don't let some snooty university professors look down on you because you decided you'd do something more relevant to your interests and something you'd find more engaging rather than being bored half to death by thing you have no interest whatsoever in. All this media-bashing is a bit unfair, I did it because the course looked interesting, not because I wanted an easy A.

Fine sentiments. But subject choice is one of the factors that unis consider.
Reply 115
Hi

Currently doing Geography, History, English Lit and Business Studies for AS. But I'm unsure on which to drop for A2. I'm not paticularly enjoying English, but I'm worried as some universities look down on Business Studies. I intend to do geography, and I'm looking at Durham, Bristol and Southampton at the moment.

What's your opinion on the suitability of History, Geography and Business at A2?

Thanks
Reply 116
It's pretty good this actually :smile:
I'm taking 4 subjects at A2 Level; Maths, French, Italian and Applied Business. I think I made the right decision to drop ICT, seeing as it's the 'least valued' one. I was quite worried that I had Business in there, but I suppose I still have 3 strong A Levels.
Argh I hate this thread so much. It represents all that is wrong with TSR.
Reply 118
pete1017
Hi

Currently doing Geography, History, English Lit and Business Studies for AS. But I'm unsure on which to drop for A2. I'm not paticularly enjoying English, but I'm worried as some universities look down on Business Studies. I intend to do geography, and I'm looking at Durham, Bristol and Southampton at the moment.

What's your opinion on the suitability of History, Geography and Business at A2?

Thanks

Well:
i) You should ask the unis you are interested in what they think of your possible A2 choices for Geog at uni.
ii)What grades do you expect at AS-level? and Get your AS results before making a final decision.
iii) You are correct that Bussiness is a less preferred course (catgeorised as such by both LSE and Cambridge) and Trinity have it suitable as a 3rd A-level. But it could be worse i.e. it could be in the 4th group! And as fueled_by_ryan has it above I don't think Geog is that hard to get offers from:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=19615772&postcount=114

So whilst if you were indifferent between Bus and English, English would be a better option, Bus is probably good enough as a 3rd option.

simon12345
Argh I hate this thread so much. It represents all that is wrong with TSR.

all?
Reply 119
Thanks, this is really helpful. I've now chosen biology, chemistry, maths and history - I wonder if that would allow me to do an arts degree later though, as i only have 1 arts subject.

Quick Reply

Latest