The Student Room Group

A-levels: Relative Difficulty and Uni Admissions Selection criteria

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
Skye333
Thanks, this is really helpful. I've now chosen biology, chemistry, maths and history - I wonder if that would allow me to do an arts degree later though, as i only have 1 arts subject.

I think you are correct: that could be a bit tricky.
Reply 121
i take 5 subjects for AS and A2 level..

Maths
Economics
Psychology
Law
Accounting

can somebody give me advice on these subjects?

i want to apply to Queen Mary, King's, UCL...and Oxford if possible..
and i am an Asian...that means i have less chance to get into
those universities than others..

i want to take Law as my degree in university..

thanks for any advice...
Reply 122
Paulwhy

Possibly been mentioned before, but there's a spelling mistake in the thread title Paul. Should be criteria not criterea. :smile:
Reply 123
Greg.
Possibly been mentioned before, but there's a spelling mistake in the thread title Paul. Should be criteria not criterea. :smile:

Yes that is wrong.
But the Title editing feature no longer seems to work.
So before asking a mod to correct the spelling mistake I will think about if I want to make further changes to the title.
e.g. would like to include some notion of appropriate A-levels depending on what uni plans are.
Reply 124
Im gutted that ICT is in the red list when i find it quite hard because they mark it so strictly ...makes me feel stupid. At least i have all my other subjects in the top two categories :smile:
Reply 125
'Me=
']Im gutted that ICT is in the red list when i find it quite hard because they mark it so strictly ...makes me feel stupid. At least i have all my other subjects in the top two categories :smile:

So what are your other subjects and what are your uni ambitions?
Reply 126
Paulwhy
So what are your other subjects and what are your uni ambitions?

I also do English Literature, Sociology and Business Studies...God only knows why i chose Sociology because its absouletly rubbish and has no relevance to my life since its based on statistics from England and im from Ireland. The only reason we do the AQA board is because there is no option to do sociology with CCEA unfortunately. That aside i am wishing to do Law or Business and Economics which i know are two completely different degrees but so far thats what i am interested in. Do you think i stand a chance of getting into Law with those subjects?
Reply 127
'Me=
']I also do English Literature, Sociology and Business Studies...God only knows why i chose Sociology because its absouletly rubbish and has no relevance to my life since its based on statistics from England and im from Ireland. The only reason we do the AQA board is because there is no option to do sociology with CCEA unfortunately. That aside i am wishing to do Law or Business and Economics which i know are two completely different degrees but so far thats what i am interested in. Do you think i stand a chance of getting into Law with those subjects?

Engl Lit 1Arts
Bus Std B 3(Economics)
Sociology 3(Arts)
ICT B 4

What are your grades like? Not great you have two third tier A-levels.

Post in the Law and/or UCAS Application threads about Law. However you should get a place. e.g. some Law courses even up in clearing. Just a question of how competitive a course you can get into.
Reply 128
Paulwhy
Engl Lit 1Arts
Bus Std B 3(Economics)
Sociology 3(Arts)
ICT B 4

What are your grades like? Not great you have two third tier A-levels.

Post in the Law and/or UCAS Application threads about Law. However you should get a place. e.g. some Law courses even up in clearing. Just a question of how competitive a course you can get into.

Im predicted 3A's and 1b...but i will have to wait and see when results come out :s-smilie:
ive been looking at this for weeks and still dont understand how it works ;(
Reply 130
MeanMachine
ive been looking at this for weeks and still dont understand how it works ;(

By now you probably need sleep.
chelsh
i take 5 subjects for AS and A2 level..

Maths
Economics
Psychology
Law
Accounting

can somebody give me advice on these subjects?

i want to apply to Queen Mary, King's, UCL...and Oxford if possible..
and i am an Asian...that means i have less chance to get into
those universities than others..

i want to take Law as my degree in university..

thanks for any advice...
]

Sorry but why would being asian put you at a disadvantage? i dont know for sure but i dont think majority of unis are racist
Reply 132
I'm thinking about doing economics at a top university. Which would be the perfect 4 A levels?
Check out my sticky threads in the economics forum.

But for econ at a top uni for perfection you want:
i) both Maths and Economics A-levels.
ii)Further Maths
iii)A science e.g. Physics
iv)Essay based subject e.g. History

Which I know makes 5 not 4. But:
i)Consider doing 5 not 4 subjects to A2.
ii)If you are intend on doing 4 subjects then starting 5 AS and not 4 gives you a choice of what 4 you carry on in your final year.

So, does it mean if I want to apply to LSE with my A-levels(Math,History,Politics,Economics) , i won't get my offer?(I mean, have no chance to get it).
Reply 133
Badion
So, does it mean if I want to apply to LSE with my A-levels(Math,History,Politics,Economics) , i won't get my offer?(I mean, have no chance to get it).

Check out the stickies in the economics forum.
How on earth is English Language blacklisted by Cambridge?!
I'm friends with a student who just left Cambridge with a 2:1 in History who was at Trinity College, she only done 3 A-levels, History, French and English Language. So basically they admitted her with only 2 A-levels? :confused:
Reply 135
According to the list I am taking 6 green subjects!
AnthonyShock
I'm friends with a student who just left Cambridge with a 2:1 in History who was at Trinity College, she only done 3 A-levels, History, French and English Language. So basically they admitted her with only 2 A-levels? :confused:

It's all done at the discretion of the college, but basically I think Trinity prefers at least two 'hard' subjects - and History and French are amongst the hardest of the arts A-Levels.
Reply 137
AnthonyShock

It is not blacklisted by Cambridge. But is regarded by Trinity as being of more limited suitability.

AnthonyShock

Pleased your friend's A-levels were regarded as good enough and that she graduated successfully.
Paulwhy
It is not blacklisted by Cambridge. But is regarded by Trinity as being of more limited suitability.

ooh I see. :smile:
Reply 139
xbabyxchelseax
]

Sorry but why would being asian put you at a disadvantage? i dont know for sure but i dont think majority of unis are racist

Non-EU students have to compete among each other to get into limited spaces in UK universities =)

take my country ( Malaysia ) as an example.. only 10 students can get into cambridge university in a year =)

Quick Reply

Latest