The Student Room Group

A Level choices?

For those of you who are in uni studying veterinary science or are planning to be there soon, what As/A levels have you chosen? I'm slightly stuck on what to pick. I think I am doing Biology, Chemistry, Maths (statistics), Critical thinking, and then either Philosophy and Ethics (R.s) or Physics. Can you please give me advice as to what to choose, and tell me what you are doing. I enjoy all the subjects so it's just a case of which is most useful, and what I would be able to cope with doing!!
Thank you!!
xx
Reply 1
o god, not again, the seach funtion is there for a reason.
As long as you take at least bio+chem then you are fine for the majority of unis.
Taking bio chem and maths will meet the subject requirments for all unis if it is these 3 you carry on to A2.
Critical thinking wont count for nout, but many school still make people do it.
Do which ever out of philosophy or ethics, but if you want to be able to apply to any of the unis with your subject choices then drop which ever one of these you choose after AS, unless you plan to take 4 full A2s which some people do, but does not advantage you in anyway.
If you dont think you can get AAB then take subjects you reckon you can get the grades in. but defo take chem and bio and these are required by most.

please use the search function in future. there are literally hundreds of these threads lying around.
CHOOSE PHYSICS.

Ideal choice for VetSci: Biology, Chemistry, Maths & Physics/History/English Lit/Language (any other well respected choice).

If you can hack it do Further Maths as well.
Reply 3
i wouldnt bother with further maths, why do 5 a levels, it puts you under more stress and means you have more work and you only need 3 A2s and an extra AS.
tbh as long as you do chem and bio to A2 and anther academic subject then its fine. if you want to be in the clear for all unis do chem bio and physics or maths to A2.

end of.
I didn't take Maths or Physics - and I've got 3 interviews! You dont need either as long as you only apply to 4 english unis!!
J_E_N_N_Y
please use the search function in future. there are literally hundreds of these threads lying around.

Yeh and? I am sure all your threads have NEVER been done before. Also, for something such as this, where its likely that admission criteria are changing all the time and things, a recent thread will be better. Step down off your high horse.

To the OP: I chose Maths, Physics, Chem and Bio, did all through to AS. For all vet schools, you need Chem and Bio, plus at least one other at AS. Doesn't have to be science or maths related. Check out the criteria for them by click their links, here:

http://search.ucas.co.uk/cgi-bin/hsrun/search/search/StateId/DGj_n3cKdm3WWNpjb80HFyMXV5Mou-UwJr/HAHTpage/search.HsCodeSearch.submitForm?cmbInst=&txtJacsCode=d100&button1.x=0&button1.y=0

:smile:
Reply 6
AshMashMash
Also, for something such as this, where its likely that admission criteria are changing all the time and things, a recent thread will be better. Step down off your high horse.

yeah but i just found 3 in this addmission cycle alone. :yep:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=778584
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=728508
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=719234

so its not like there wasnt "recent" infomation out there. :tongue:
Hardly on a high horse, i still anwered the question, just pointed out there was a search function which it there to be used!:rolleyes:
Reply 7
It does get really tedious posting and reposting information thats already easily accesible
Chem and bio like Jen said and then do what you want as your 3rd A-level (I did Sociology for A-level and Geog at AS) Unless your out to prove something there is no need in doing any more, you could spend the extra time getting work exp which may be more beneficial in the long run.
I am doing Chem, Bio, Maths and Latin, all to A2.

Bio and Chem are the ones you need and should try and get prediced A in them.

Latest

Trending

Trending