The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Provisional driving licence?
Username?
Hey everyone,

How would I go about obtaining a legal non fake ID that I can buy alcohol and cigarettes with without being hassled about my age. Im not a fan of carrying my passport around.

ISIC Card, NUS Card?
Reply 3
LmnCD
Provisional driving licence?

Would I have to take a driving test for that?
Reply 4
Username?
Would I have to take a driving test for that?

no
Reply 5
No you can apply for the provisional, you have to pay I believe, and its green. Everywhere accepts it as ID.
Reply 6
CitizenCard? UreLife? ValidateUK? YoungScot?

http://www.pass-scheme.org.uk/
Reply 7
I got a provisional driving licence when I was 19 purely for ID.

It is just as acceptable as a passport.

You don't need to take any tests for it and you can get one here
Reply 8
Bus Pass
Reply 9
randdom
I got a provisional driving licence when I was 19 purely for ID.

It is just as acceptable as a passport.

You don't need to take any tests for it and you can get one here

That's okay so long as you're fine with spending fifty quid on nothing.
Reply 10
TeDaX
That's okay so long as you're fine with spending fifty quid on nothing.

That is true it is quite expensive.

However I ended up learning to drive the following year so it turned out I needed it anyway.
I tried to (learn to) drive in Britain. I almost got like, five people killed. Never again, of course. Why oh why did I try to drive on the left? LOL
Reply 12
TeDaX
CitizenCard? UreLife? ValidateUK? YoungScot?

http://www.pass-scheme.org.uk/

They're not guarenteed to be accepted. Personally I'd get a provisional even if it was just for ID
Reply 13
deanot88
They're not guarenteed to be accepted. Personally I'd get a provisional even if it was just for ID

They are the licensed trade approved form of ID along with Passport or Driving Licence.

If it has the PASS logo, it will be accepted...providing it's got your photo on it, obviously!
Reply 14
simeon
They are the licensed trade approved form of ID along with Passport or Driving Licence.

If it has the PASS logo, it will be accepted...providing it's got your photo on it, obviously!

A lot of night clubs and bars don't accept them.
Reply 15
deanot88
A lot of night clubs and bars don't accept them.

I've run bars for 17 years, and they are the only ID approved by the Police and Local Councils other than Passports and Driving Licences. Knowledge of them is part of the National Licencess Certificate, which you need to hold in order to get a Personal Licence.

It is advocated by Pubwatch and Clubwatch schemes countrywide, as well as the Best Bar None scheme.

There are plenty of ID's out there without the PASS logo that aren't accepted, but ones with the PASS logo are.

It even says this on the PASS site:

If you have a PASS card and it is refused by a retailer you should contact the company that issued your card with the following information:

* The name and address of the outlet or venue where you were refused
* The day
* The date
* The time

This information will help your card issuer contact the venue and find out why the card was refused. This card refusal form will ensure you complete the necessary information that will help the card issuer follow up your enquiry.
Reply 16
simeon
I've run bars for 17 years, and they are the only ID approved by the Police and Local Councils other than Passports and Driving Licences. Knowledge of them is part of the National Licencess Certificate, which you need to hold in order to get a Personal Licence.

It is advocated by Pubwatch and Clubwatch schemes countrywide, as well as the Best Bar None scheme.

There are plenty of ID's out there without the PASS logo that aren't accepted, but ones with the PASS logo are.

It even says this on the PASS site:

If you have a PASS card and it is refused by a retailer you should contact the company that issued your card with the following information:

* The name and address of the outlet or venue where you were refused
* The day
* The date
* The time

This information will help your card issuer contact the venue and find out why the card was refused. This card refusal form will ensure you complete the necessary information that will help the card issuer follow up your enquiry.

There are still a lot of places that do not accept them, I'm not debating whether places should accept them but the fact is a lot of places don't. It's ok telling you what to do if it's not accepted but that's not going to help you on a night out. When you think about it, the fact that it mentions that on the websites implies that some places don't accept it.
Reply 17
deanot88
There are still a lot of places that do not accept them, I'm not debating whether places should accept them but the fact is a lot of places don't. It's ok telling you what to do if it's not accepted but that's not going to help you on a night out. When you think about it, the fact that it mentions that on the websites implies that some places don't accept it.

I agree. This is the only ID I have (minus a passport, which I don't want to take into a club and drunkenly lose) and I've probably been refused service more times than it's been accepted. Shop workers usually seem to be ok and about 70% of the time it works if I argue with the bouncer, but it's still embarassing and stupid.

They're only £4.50 so they're good value, but I'd say get a driving license if you can afford it because it's a lot less hassle.
in theory you should be able to have any form of ID with the "pass" logo hologram on it.

this includes such things as Citizen cards.

they sholud be accepted everywhere but occasionally they will be turned down, the best bets is a drivers license or a passport, some places will accept a colour photocopy of a passport but its not that widely accepted.

plus getting a provisional license isn't going to be a bad thing in the long run especially if you eventually want to learn to drive.
I worked for Asda, and we didn't accept anything other than passport or driver's licence.

Latest

Trending

Trending