The Student Room Group
Xenophobia? Or just a prejudice. Personally I'd rather judge someone as a person than by their skin colour / country of origin.
You'll get narrow minded people like that everywhere, just ignore them because they're cretins. :biggrin:
Reply 2
i love poles
Reply 3
The Daily Mail

and their Xenophobic ********.
Reply 4
Xenophobia and somewhat increasing amounts of it during the recession.
Telescopic ones are my favourite
Reply 6
martynita
I live in London and sometimes I can see that some people have any problem with me because I'm from Poland. Can anyone tell me why the hell is that? :s-smilie:

It's something called racism, I'm pretty sure you have it in Poland too.
The pillar of any community.

I am so witty.
It's petty racism, shown by the utter ignorance of the brits. I'm born here, so were my parents, but my whole ancestry from then on is Polish, and I'm proud of it. I consider myself ultimately Polish, through bloodline.

Be proud of your heritage :smile:

and if people dont like it, kick them in the DUPA. haha

like when I'm on busses and on the phone in polish to other poles, I'm proud of getting glares to be honest... People's ignorance is amusing.
I am Russian and I lived in Poland for a few years, in several districts, and was subject to pretty horrible racism pretty much everywhere I lived. Now, although I don't have any particular vendetta against Poles, after my experiences, and experiences of other Russians/Ukrainians/Belorussians etc who had the pleasure of living in Poland, I think it's pretty silly for any Polish person to ask "OMG why don't they like me?"

applemilk1992
like when I'm on busses and on the phone in polish to other poles, I'm proud of getting glares to be honest... People's ignorance is amusing.

A familiar experience for me. Speaking Russian to someone on a Polish tram/bus, with everyone turning around to stare. Even now when so many Poles went over to the UK and should have embraced multiculturalism... lol.

On the Plus side, Poland is a pretty nice country if you ignore the racism. Nice countryside, clean streets, good food, hot womenfolk (when they are NOT racist) and OK weather.

Having said that, this is the UK, and we're all equal here so now I have a number of Polish friends and we get along fine...

Michael
Reply 10
ProgressDesired
I am Russian and I lived in Poland for a few years, in several districts, and was subject to pretty horrible racism pretty much everywhere I lived. Now, although I don't have any particular vendetta against Poles, after my experiences, and experiences of other Russians/Ukrainians/Belorussians etc who had the pleasure of living in Poland, I think it's pretty silly for any Polish person to ask "OMG why don't they like me?"

I don't think the actions of Poland towards Britain throughout history which might explain the current racism is anything like the actions of Russia to their neighbours.
Thud
I don't think the actions of Poland towards Britain throughout history which might explain the current racism is anything like the actions of Russia to their neighbours.

Are you suggesting that racism towards someone who has nothing to do, and even isn't old enough to know what it's all about, is acceptable if the "victim's" country wasn't particularly nice to the racist's country?

Now, bear in mind that I came to Poland I was 5 and when I left I was 11, and was subjected to racism by everyone, adults, teachers at school, teenagers and kids my age. I'm not saying their racism was unfounded, but they should not start crying crocodile tears when they get a little flak when living here in the UK.

Michael
Reply 12
I find both poles, the North and South, very cold indeed
Reply 13
ProgressDesired
Are you suggesting that racism towards someone who has nothing to do, and even isn't old enough to know what it's all about, is acceptable if the "victim's" country wasn't particularly nice to the racist's country?

Now, bear in mind that I came to Poland I was 5 and when I left I was 11, and was subjected to racism by everyone, adults, teachers at school, teenagers and kids my age. I'm not saying their racism was unfounded, but they should not start crying crocodile tears when they get a little flak when living here in the UK.

Michael

I'm saying it's more understandable given historical context. Poles have never done anything bad to Brits, Russians wiped Poland off the map and inflicted, in living memory (and this bit is particularly important, probably explains why teachers disliked Russians), communism on Poland.
Possibly because you are Polish and theres been a massive influx of Poles into England in the last few year.

I think you've answered your own question
Reply 15
I walk into subway and all I see is... Poles!!! Haha, in all fairness, I don't actually care. Chopin was Polish and he was a God.
Reply 16
applemilk1992
It's petty racism, shown by the utter ignorance of the brits. I'm born here, so were my parents, but my whole ancestry from then on is Polish, and I'm proud of it. I consider myself ultimately Polish, through bloodline.

yeah all 'the' Brits :rolleyes:

you used the word 'ignorance' incorrectly too btw - ignorance of what?
I love Poles.
I don't have any problems with polish women ... they give the best sex.
applemilk1992

you know you can be proud of your heritage, without being a dick and generalizing another nationality?

urg, anyway. racism is bad, but i think when you are nervous or wary of any prejudice(i'm gonna try and liken this to watching a scary movie and being lloads more jumpy than normal for an hour after) you tend to notice it more and take little things to heart, over sensitive. one comment could be completely innocent, but someone might be feeling like a target and take it the wrong way.

Latest

Trending

Trending