The Student Room Group

High Blood Pressure

When I last went to the nurse for my Pill (in December) I had very high blood pressure, so I had to go back in January and it was still high. I now have to keep going every month to get it checked, it's always high everytime I go yet she isn't doing anything about it.

I also get headaches (but always have done really) and I am always tired.

I just wondered if anyone knew what causes these type of symptoms and if anyone else has high blood pressure, as the nurse said someone of my age shouldn't have such high blood pressure

I have just put it down to my stupid amount of work I have got on at the minute - does anyone else think that could be the reason?
Reply 1
When i got my blood pressure taken before i went on the pill i was told i had high blood pressure but it was put down to all the stress from studying. but if you are worried about your blood pressure being high, i would demand something done about it because the type of pill you are on may not be suited to you! that's the whole point of checkups!

hope i don't scare you but a friend of mine had a blood clot and it was blamed on the pill. Try to find out if any of your family suffer from high blood pressure because it could just be inherited!

i agree with you that it could be possibly down to all the work you are doing at the moment!
i hope it gets sorted for you!!
Reply 2
Stress could well be the reason, and at your age they're really NOT going to want to put you on any drugs to reduce it. Just exercising and eating healthily are the best ways to keep it normal, and don't worry about having the reading taken, as it'll just shoot straight up!
lynseyweth
When I last went to the nurse for my Pill (in December) I had very high blood pressure, so I had to go back in January and it was still high. I now have to keep going every month to get it checked, it's always high everytime I go yet she isn't doing anything about it.

I also get headaches (but always have done really) and I am always tired.

I just wondered if anyone knew what causes these type of symptoms and if anyone else has high blood pressure, as the nurse said someone of my age shouldn't have such high blood pressure

I have just put it down to my stupid amount of work I have got on at the minute - does anyone else think that could be the reason?

depends how 'high' 'high' is. are we talking 130/80 here, 140, 160..?
Reply 4
they said my blood pressure was a bit high last time I went to the clinic. I think its because I don't really exercise and I'm really stressed out at the moment.Try to relax a bit, I know it can be v hard sometimes, but probably a very little relax time would help
Mine's a bit low, which to be honest I'm glad about because I like caffiene and salt so I'm counting them as health food now.
Reply 6
KittyKat
When i got my blood pressure taken before i went on the pill i was told i had high blood pressure but it was put down to all the stress from studying. but if you are worried about your blood pressure being high, i would demand something done about it because the type of pill you are on may not be suited to you! that's the whole point of checkups!

hope i don't scare you but a friend of mine had a blood clot and it was blamed on the pill. Try to find out if any of your family suffer from high blood pressure because it could just be inherited!

i agree with you that it could be possibly down to all the work you are doing at the moment!
i hope it gets sorted for you!!

Well my grandma has very high blood pressure and I think a lot of her brothers and sisters did too. So it is definately in the family. Next time I go back in a month I will ask about the pill - it may be that - I read my instructions and it does say high blood pressure is a symptom.
Reply 7
Helenia
Stress could well be the reason, and at your age they're really NOT going to want to put you on any drugs to reduce it. Just exercising and eating healthily are the best ways to keep it normal, and don't worry about having the reading taken, as it'll just shoot straight up!

I get reall nervous about going to the doctors - all butterflies and everything - I don't suppose that helps. She always takes it twice and the second reading is usually lower than the first when I'm a bit more relaxed.
Reply 8
lessthanthree
have they switched your pill?

No they haven't. I am definately going to mention that next time I am there.
Reply 9
foolfarian
depends how 'high' 'high' is. are we talking 130/80 here, 140, 160..?

Isn't 130/80 normal? It was 170/90 in January but that is the highest it has been and I had loads going on then - assignments, school placements as well as organising my engagement party. The last time I went it was 147 but can't remember the lower number. It has dropped a lot, I think that's why the nurse is putting it down to stress.
Reply 10
lynseyweth
Isn't 130/80 normal?

textbook normal - according to mine is 120/80. so you'd perhaps expect it to be slightly lower than that in a young healthy person.

if i had your readings..i'd definitely want to make sure i was being very closely monitored. mine was 130/80 last time i went for my check-up & my GP was concerned - although this was the day before an exam.. :wink:

good news that it's gone down :smile: - but even if it is 'just stress' perhaps look into some methods of reducing stress? because i think high blood pressure per se is dangerous, the interactions might merely slightly differ dependent on whether it's stress/hormonally caused.

the obvious stress related hypertension approaches would be relaxation techniques or substantial exercise.

but no doubt Foolfarian will be along again soon to tell you more.
Reply 11
Elles
textbook normal - according to mine is 120/80. so you'd perhaps expect it to be slightly lower than that in a young healthy person.

if i had your readings..i'd definitely want to make sure i was being very closely monitored. mine was 130/80 last time i went for my check-up & my GP was concerned - although this was the day before an exam.. :wink:

good news that it's gone down :smile: - but even if it is 'just stress' perhaps look into some methods of reducing stress? because i think high blood pressure per se is dangerous, the interactions might merely slightly differ dependent on whether it's stress/hormonally caused.

the obvious stress related hypertension approaches would be relaxation techniques or substantial exercise.

but no doubt Foolfarian will be along again soon to tell you more.

Thanks for the advice. I'm actually starting to worry now. I thought if the nurse is just asking me back every month it can't be all that serious - but maybe it is. I have had so much on lately - and been really worked up about PGCE interviews as well as all my assignments and dissertation - it could be just all of that getting on top of me. I hope so - I'll be terrified if there is something wrong with me. :frown:
Mean systolic and diastolic blood pressure in healthy people for a female 20-24 is 116+/-11.8 for systolic and 73+/-9.7 for diastolic. (Not sure how in date these figures are, just getting them off a handout I'm actually currently revising from).

High blood pressure is a repeatedly elevated blood pressure that exceeds 140/90. If yours has been coming down everytime you're tested then it probably is down to stress as you say.

Uncomplicated hypertension usually occurs without any symptoms, which is why most people have no idea they have it until they're tested.
-Emmz-
Mean systolic and diastolic blood pressure in healthy people for a female 20-24 is 116+/-11.8 for systolic and 73+/-9.7 for diastolic. (Not sure how in date these figures are, just getting them off a handout I'm actually currently revising from).

High blood pressure is a repeatedly elevated blood pressure that exceeds 140/90. If yours has been coming down everytime you're tested then it probably is down to stress as you say.

Uncomplicated hypertension usually occurs without any symptoms, which is why most people have no idea they have it until they're tested.

How outlandishly precise. :redface:

Generally your BP should be circa 115 for this age, but this is just an average - for some people 140 may well be 'normal' - thats human variation for you.Stress of course will make your bp go up, but if you get jittery at the docs then that won't help either. If you are worried you can always buy an electric manometer to take your bp at home, and tell the doc your results - that way you'll be sure to be relaxed. But the doc would poss supply one if he was really worried, so i wouldn't stress too much.
Just go home, get la fiance to run you a bath, and relax for a few hours.
foolfarian
How outlandishly precise. :redface:

Ah tis only cause I'm revising it right now, wouldn't have known it off the top of my head. Have a test on it tomorrow along with respiratory physiology and the ECG ... so if anyone wants to know anything about them ... *LoL*

One thing I learnt about the electric sphygmanometer is they're very sensitive to background noise ... when we were using them in a practical it got my BP higher than it actually is and gave my friend a higher diastolic than systolic cause we were in a noisy lab.

Latest

Trending

Trending