The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
sunspoon
Same as above; shared rooms are all same sex, but almost all floors and parts of floors have single rooms with mixed gender. The only exception I can think of is the 3rd floor at the moment in house 32(which may also be house 30, its hard to tell where one house ends and the other begins) which has 4 singles and 2 double, all guys.

Most probably house 30. I heard thumping and banging sounds almost every night. Though I may be wrong!
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Reply 61
studyboy
Most probably house 30. I heard thumping and banging sounds almost every night. Though I may be wrong!

lol that would probably be ragu and skitzo :smile:
Reply 62
sunspoon
lol that would probably be ragu and skitzo :smile:

I pray they will stop soon! Its driving me up the wall! :p:
Is it safe to walk from Imperial to Pembridge or Wilson at night?
Reply 64
HOGWARTS123
Is it safe to walk from Imperial to Pembridge or Wilson at night?

Pembridge yes. As long as the Israelis don't decide to invade one of their neighbours, you should be able to walk through Embassy Road, which is guarded by police 24/7.

Wilson - you'd have to walk through Hyde Park, which allegedly has the highest probability of gay rape in London.
dum_ma
I heard that all halls are non-smoking. can anyone confirm this??

that is going to be a massive issue....

surely some people at Imperial smoke, what the **** are you meant to do?!?! thats ******* annoying if you cant smoke in your rooms.

You go smoke outside. In the rain. And think about what you've done.

Mostly for the preservation of rooms (The smell of smoke is hard to get out of a room or furniture after a smoker has been there for a year).

Not to mention smoking ban meaning that any of the cleaners could potentially complain if they walk into a room you've been smoking in.

Oh, and the further potential fire alarm set off that would get you murdered at 2 in the morning.

Most halls around the UK are non-smoking for those reasons. I don't see why it would be a surprise to you...
Reply 66
sir.jamesgreen
You go smoke outside. In the rain. And think about what you've done.

Mostly for the preservation of rooms (The smell of smoke is hard to get out of a room or furniture after a smoker has been there for a year).

Not to mention smoking ban meaning that any of the cleaners could potentially complain if they walk into a room you've been smoking in.

Oh, and the further potential fire alarm set off that would get you murdered at 2 in the morning.

Most halls around the UK are non-smoking for those reasons. I don't see why it would be a surprise to you...

UCL allows you to smoke :wink2:
anyways just put a plastic bag around your smoke detector and smoke next to the window and your sorted:top:
Reply 67
Or just smoke outside.
Reply 68
well so I take it that no one here smokes weed.
Reply 69
I find this whole smoking ban thing ridiculous.

all the halls in leeds, and almost any other uni having smoking rooms

if you're in your OWN room, why shouldnt people be able to smoke?! it's not affecting anyone. its your own ******* private space. I've lived in a non-smoking flat for over a year and when I handed it over at the end of the tenancy it didnt smell a thing. the landlord didnt notice anything. and that was AFTER I had received a complaint letter about smoke earlier in the year so they were especially looking out for the smell as well.

smoke is smoke. it airs out. better than people drinking disgusting amounts of alcohol and throwing up (of both ends) in their rooms.
Reply 70
dum_ma
I find this whole smoking ban thing ridiculous.

all the halls in leeds, and almost any other uni having smoking rooms

if you're in your OWN room, why shouldnt people be able to smoke?! it's not affecting anyone. its your own ******* private space. I've lived in a non-smoking flat for over a year and when I handed it over at the end of the tenancy it didnt smell a thing. the landlord didnt notice anything. and that was AFTER I had received a complaint letter about smoke earlier in the year so they were especially looking out for the smell as well.

smoke is smoke. it airs out. better than people drinking disgusting amounts of alcohol and throwing up (of both ends) in their rooms.

Smoke doesn't air out, I can smell it in our house when I come in even when no-one has been smoking for quite a while. In addition, its bloody well up to the university so stop acting like a whiny little brat and deal with it. Its not YOUR ROOM, you are renting it from the university and its up to them what you can or can't do.
Reply 71
dum_ma
well so I take it that no one here smokes weed.

Yeah I do why?
Reply 72
dum_ma
it's not affecting anyone...... I had received a complaint letter about smoke...

Nice one.
Reply 73
Harvah
Nice one.

oh what a witty comment. I received a complaint because the estate agent had viewings of the flat and saw the ashtrays. what sort of stuff do you HONESTLY think I could've done by smoking in my own home that seriously affects other people. knocked on the flat below me so I can stub out a cigarette on the neighbour's head?

laurie344
Yeah I do why?

I was just pointing out the fact that no one here realised I wouldnt make such a fuss if I was just complaining about smoking in halls for cigarettes.
Reply 74
dum_ma

I was just pointing out the fact that no one here realised I wouldnt make such a fuss if I was just complaining about smoking in halls for cigarettes.

Yeah you would :lolwut:. People complain much worse about other things where they can't smoke than this.

Either way, calm down and cope, its up to Imperial to decide not stroppy teenagers.
Reply 75
Mithra
Yeah you would :lolwut:. People complain much worse about other things where they can't smoke than this.

Either way, calm down and cope, its up to Imperial to decide not stroppy teenagers.

I think its perfectly reasonable that I feel annoyed we're not allowed to smoke in our rooms when it should be up to the individuals. I'm sure if imperial banned drinking in rooms then this conversation would swing another way. and you dont have to kiss imperial's ass - they're not watching the forum mate.
Reply 76
**** that ill be smoking in my room anyway.
Reply 77
dum_ma
I think its perfectly reasonable that I feel annoyed we're not allowed to smoke in our rooms when it should be up to the individuals. I'm sure if imperial banned drinking in rooms then this conversation would swing another way. and you dont have to kiss imperial's ass - they're not watching the forum mate.

Go live in ******* private accommodation which does allow you then, its entirely up to Imperial. Yes if they banned drinking more people would be annoyed but thats because a) a lot more people probably do that and b) that doesn't affect anything else. Smoking makes carpets smell of smoke for ages after and is also liable to set off the fire alarms in the rooms.

I'm not kissing Imperial's ass, I just agree with them over some whiny drug addict who gets upset just because Imperial won't let them smoke weed in their room.
Reply 78
what so if MORE people do it then your highness would allow them to be annoyed? and the fact that 80% of ER doctor's times are wasted on alcohol related incidents in my opinion affects a whole lot more. I dont want drunken idiots roaming around halls, they're loud, annoying and they're linger around the carpets for ages, the passed out ones stay for days, they are also liable to set off fire alarms in rooms. but I respect everyone's choices in life so I deal with it.

and please. dont give me the "drug addict" lecture. this drug addict got into imperial smoking weed so take your judgement somewhere else. just because someone likes to enjoy and explore some other experiences in life doesnt always mean they would be unproductive and not do good to the world.
Reply 79
dum_ma
what so if MORE people do it then your highness would allow them to be annoyed? and the fact that 80% of ER doctor's times are wasted on alcohol related incidents in my opinion affects a whole lot more. I dont want drunken idiots roaming around halls, they're loud, annoying and they're linger around the carpets for ages, the passed out ones stay for days, they are also liable to set off fire alarms in rooms. but I respect everyone's choices in life so I deal with it.

and please. dont give me the "drug addict" lecture. this drug addict got into imperial smoking weed so take your judgement somewhere else. just because someone likes to enjoy and explore some other experiences in life doesnt always mean they would be unproductive and not do good to the world.

I'm not giving you a drug addict letter, I could not care bloody LESS if you smoke carpet let alone weed, what I do care about is that you are so pathetic you get upset and sulky when someone says you can't do it. Imperial aren't saying you can't smoke to try and save your health so I don't see why they would care how much illness alcohol causes. In addition drinking in rooms isn't particularly going to affect how many drunk people you find in halls.

My point still stands though, you don't HAVE to live in Imperial halls, go live somewhere else if you care that much.

Latest

Trending

Trending