The Student Room Group

Gap Year to get releveant Work Experience and to Study, Please advice/help

Hi all

Many thanks for reading my thread, posting on this sub-section for better info on what I want to do in future.

I face a bit of a dilemna at the moment. Im currently at my first year at 6th Form and aged 16, studying Computing, Economics, Geography and History

I used to study maths however I dropped that and took Computing instead, the reason I dropped it are quite a few but briefly, I didnt work as hard and as I took a holiday inbetween for nearly two weeks I sort of had maths block and since Maths being a hard subject I kinda just wanted to drop it. ( Have a look at this thread for more detail: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=17093429#post17093429) However since then Ive had a rennewed inspiration for Maths, my parents were quite unhappy with me dropping maths as I got an A in the subject and was doing well in it, even done maths challenge twice in my school and did quite well. So my teachers have agreed to allow me to do an AS in Maths next year, I was thinking of doing a full A2 in a year but that really is hard! I think down to it, I was just being lazy and didnt want to revise so took an easy option and did Computing (Again look at this thread http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=17093429#post17093429 for more info on why)

So my question is, Is it a good idea taking a gap year out therfore studying more A levels ( I definatly want to do A2 maths, dont have to do the others but might do if people think its good to do that, but will only stick to A2 maths if it conflicts with me doing work experience) and gaining very good relevant work experience, also, It will give me a chance of looking into what I want I to do at Degree level as still stuck between either Economics, Geography and History and possibly even maths if all goes well with doing A2. I dont think finding an Internship will be a problem as I have some good contacts (again lol please read the thread) but briefly I will explain, (cousin at Barclays and I have good contacts with NAGTY (National Academy for Gifted and Talented Youth) scheme in which i went to Brunel University and we were vistied by many BIG companies such as Deutsche Bank and PWC and they were saying we could take Internships with them and I still have good contact with the overall scheme. Also have two cousins In USA working for very good companies such as Cisco systems and theyve been there for quite some time now and maybe i could get something there ) Also, is it hard to juggle Work Experience (I dont want to do like a long one maybe for something like 2 months or a little longer, but while Im studying A2 (so cant to work experience then) I'll have a good one day one or two day job on which Im free

Please help guys and gals!

Many Thanks

HamzaB
Reply 1
I'd recommend that you don't leave your A-levels half way through, it wouldn't be the most efficient way of getting the qualifications or experience you desire. You're only 4 months into your AS levels, so picking maths back up wont be too difficult if you are willing to put in some extra work. Depending on how your school operates I'd assume that lessons for C2 have only just begun, so attend them and pick up the parts of C1 you have missed in your own time - this will be much easier than trying to study A2 maths in 1 year.

If you find this difficult and (worst case scenario) fail maths at the end of the year you'll be in no worse situation that if you hadn't taken up maths again. You could then take up AS next year with full teaching and, if you're still that committed to getting an A2 in maths, study for the A2 in a gap year after school whilst gaining some work experience (some places will take you on a 4-day week or whatever).

Also, when you talk about 'relevant' work experience, what do you want it relevant to?
Reply 2
Such as getting Work Exp at a Bank such as Barclays, I probably could get a 2 or 3 day placement

But do Unis genrally mind this? I think what I'll do is Apply for Unis that I can get into without A2 maths:

Loughborough
University of Surrey
Southampton (Need AS C)
Univeristy of Reading (Need AS C)
City
Brunel (Insurance)

If I get into most of these and dependng how i feel I might just go on with these Universities and get the relevant qulaifcations (After all I'll come out with the same Degree as someone at UCL or Queen mary) But as these Unis arent considered the BEST BEST and are genrally Very good, I might decide to take out a gap year and do A2 maths and get the relevant work exp as mentioned above

As for getting on the Maths coursse now, I cant, Ive asked the Maths dept at school but they said no but gladly said I could do it next year, and I wouldnt feel good taking it now, just started revision and it seems like a lot, but the Maths Dept. reccomended I can complete the AS course over the Summer and Ill be relaxed whilst taking Economics, Geog and History at A2

Do you think this is a good idea? And are my Uni choices good In terms of Employability and career prospects? I know of people who went Kingston and Southbank who now work at Barclays Bank in Canary Wharf and Cisco systems? I keep thinking that the Unis Im applying for arent that good but thats compared to UCL, Oxbridge and LSE other than those I think they're not that bad. But please advise
Reply 3
hamzab
Such as getting Work Exp at a Bank such as Barclays, I probably could get a 2 or 3 day placement

But do Unis genrally mind this? I think what I'll do is Apply for Unis that I can get into without A2 maths:

Loughborough
University of Surrey
Southampton (Need AS C)
Univeristy of Reading (Need AS C)
City
Brunel (Insurance)

If I get into most of these and dependng how i feel I might just go on with these Universities and get the relevant qulaifcations (After all I'll come out with the same Degree as someone at UCL or Queen mary) But as these Unis arent considered the BEST BEST and are genrally Very good, I might decide to take out a gap year and do A2 maths and get the relevant work exp as mentioned above

As for getting on the Maths coursse now, I cant, Ive asked the Maths dept at school but they said no but gladly said I could do it next year, and I wouldnt feel good taking it now, just started revision and it seems like a lot, but the Maths Dept. reccomended I can complete the AS course over the Summer and Ill be relaxed whilst taking Economics, Geog and History at A2

Do you think this is a good idea? And are my Uni choices good In terms of Employability and career prospects? I know of people who went Kingston and Southbank who now work at Barclays Bank in Canary Wharf and Cisco systems? I keep thinking that the Unis Im applying for arent that good but thats compared to UCL, Oxbridge and LSE other than those I think they're not that bad. But please advise

The unis you have mentioned aren't top dog but they're still decent places to study. If you're after a job in the city then your uni wont be very important, the kind of person you are will have a much greater impact on your chances of getting a job, your contacts will also play a part.

Your school saying that you cant complete AS maths in the 4 months to June but you can in the 2 months over summer seems weird, do they run classes over summer or are they expecting you to do it by yourself?
Reply 4
No I plan to study it myself over the summer, as most of my mates are would've done AS maths by then I could get help from them, also I wont have the burden of going to lessons then and can study peacefully at home, although I wont know everything, according to the maths teachers it will put me in a better position when studying maths whilst I will study Economics, Geog and hist in my A2 year

Gap year is still in question, is this still a good idea as I reckon I can get some good work experience, maybe not always at a bank but at charities and law firms that I know of, also plan to complete a flying scolarship at cadets then and do some voluntary work in another country such as Spain or Greece
Reply 5
I Know I can achieve something like AAB at AS If I put in the effort, Ive started to revise now (half term today) and have got my revision and learning time table set, with a bit of hardwork, these 3 and a bit months can make all the difference, I could potentially come out with 4As at AS (Economics, Geography, History, Computing) and do AS maths next year whilst carrying on Econ, Geog and Hist at A2 level, whilst also doing Maths AS level.

Then take a gap year and do A2 maths, possibly another AS so I can still get EMA or some sort of funding, do a 2 day week at Barclays or something, complete a flying scholarship at cadets and try to do some volunteering work with cadets in somewhere like Spain, found a good website where you go to Spain and help some some kids learn English and maths etc

Is this possible? Would a Uni such as UCL plan to take me with a plan like this, would my GCSEs be relevant to UCL and Warwick? I got 4 A*s (Btec ICT as this is the only I.T course my school ran but I came out with a distinction and was top in the class and its equivalent to 4 A*s. 2As (Geog, R.E) 5 Bs (History, Maths(Retaking this year as Im helping my little brother with GCSE maths, can hopefully get an A in Maths as I was only 6 marks off!), English Lit, English Lang, Science) and One C (Citzenship and additional science)

Please help guys, dont want to make a rash decision, If I got into City or Loughborough then I may just continue as Normal, if I get good grades at A2 such as AAB then I might have to do a gap year and so can continue on with A2 maths

HamzaB
Reply 6
rscully
I'd recommend that you don't leave your A-levels half way through, it wouldn't be the most efficient way of getting the qualifications or experience you desire. You're only 4 months into your AS levels, so picking maths back up wont be too difficult if you are willing to put in some extra work. Depending on how your school operates I'd assume that lessons for C2 have only just begun, so attend them and pick up the parts of C1 you have missed in your own time - this will be much easier than trying to study A2 maths in 1 year.

If you find this difficult and (worst case scenario) fail maths at the end of the year you'll be in no worse situation that if you hadn't taken up maths again. You could then take up AS next year with full teaching and, if you're still that committed to getting an A2 in maths, study for the A2 in a gap year after school whilst gaining some work experience (some places will take you on a 4-day week or whatever).

Also, when you talk about 'relevant' work experience, what do you want it relevant to?

If you can Please answer the post which I wrote around a week ago, the one above this one

Also, how is Economics at City rated, can it get me into good Post grad courses at CASS/LSE?

Thanks

HamzaB

(I quoted any random one so it would grab your attetnion, as thats what it says on your Personal display thing)
Reply 7
hamzab
If you can Please answer the post which I wrote around a week ago, the one above this one

Also, how is Economics at City rated, can it get me into good Post grad courses at CASS/LSE?

Thanks

HamzaB

(I quoted any random one so it would grab your attetnion, as thats what it says on your Personal display thing)

No problem HamzaB, I'll reply tomorrow when I'm coherent!

Edit: If I don't reply tomorrow, please feel free to PM me to remind me!!
Reply 8
rscully
No problem HamzaB, I'll reply tomorrow when I'm coherent!

Edit: If I don't reply tomorrow, please feel free to PM me to remind me!!

Lol, thanks mate, PM'ing you now
Reply 9
hamzab
I Know I can achieve something like AAB at AS If I put in the effort, Ive started to revise now (half term today) and have got my revision and learning time table set, with a bit of hardwork, these 3 and a bit months can make all the difference, I could potentially come out with 4As at AS (Economics, Geography, History, Computing) and do AS maths next year whilst carrying on Econ, Geog and Hist at A2 level, whilst also doing Maths AS level.

Then take a gap year and do A2 maths, possibly another AS so I can still get EMA or some sort of funding, do a 2 day week at Barclays or something, complete a flying scholarship at cadets and try to do some volunteering work with cadets in somewhere like Spain, found a good website where you go to Spain and help some some kids learn English and maths etc

Is this possible? Would a Uni such as UCL plan to take me with a plan like this, would my GCSEs be relevant to UCL and Warwick? I got 4 A*s (Btec ICT as this is the only I.T course my school ran but I came out with a distinction and was top in the class and its equivalent to 4 A*s. 2As (Geog, R.E) 5 Bs (History, Maths(Retaking this year as Im helping my little brother with GCSE maths, can hopefully get an A in Maths as I was only 6 marks off!), English Lit, English Lang, Science) and One C (Citzenship and additional science)

Please help guys, dont want to make a rash decision, If I got into City or Loughborough then I may just continue as Normal, if I get good grades at A2 such as AAB then I might have to do a gap year and so can continue on with A2 maths

HamzaB

Whether or not you needed A2 maths would depend entirely on what subject you want to study, you should research which subjects you want to do and their individual entry requirements. I wouldn't recommend taking a gap year to do extra A2s unless they are required by the course you wish to study.

With regards to the two day a week job at Barclays, I'm not sure how easy that would be to obtain. I am not aware of any part time gap year schemes, but if you have a contact in a bank they may well be able to help you out. If you were thinking of something away from the branches you'll be unlikely to get a part time placement.

If you don't need to retake or continue with A2s but still want to take a gap year for experience there are some decent gap year schemes available. Deloitte, PwC, KPMG, Accenture, IBM etc. all have gap year schemes.

Finally, universities will ask for your GCSE grades but since you got Bs in maths, english and science I don't think it will make much difference to your application. Your AS/A2 grades and personal statement will matter much more.

Let me know if you have any more questions.
Reply 10
rscully
Whether or not you needed A2 maths would depend entirely on what subject you want to study, you should research which subjects you want to do and their individual entry requirements. I wouldn't recommend taking a gap year to do extra A2s unless they are required by the course you wish to study.

With regards to the two day a week job at Barclays, I'm not sure how easy that would be to obtain. I am not aware of any part time gap year schemes, but if you have a contact in a bank they may well be able to help you out. If you were thinking of something away from the branches you'll be unlikely to get a part time placement.

If you don't need to retake or continue with A2s but still want to take a gap year for experience there are some decent gap year schemes available. Deloitte, PwC, KPMG, Accenture, IBM etc. all have gap year schemes.

Finally, universities will ask for your GCSE grades but since you got Bs in maths, english and science I don't think it will make much difference to your application. Your AS/A2 grades and personal statement will matter much more.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

The Main thing thats ticking me as the Uni Rep...does it count for a lot

E.G Loughborough, top 12 Uni, good Economics degree from there might get me to places, however my insurance offer, City, do people who come out of City get good Grad Jobs? I would be delighted if you knew someone who had just come out with an Economics degree from City

Also, was looking at CASS Banking and International Finance? It says it only needs A in GCSE Maths?
Reply 11
hamzab
The Main thing thats ticking me as the Uni Rep...does it count for a lot

E.G Loughborough, top 12 Uni, good Economics degree from there might get me to places, however my insurance offer, City, do people who come out of City get good Grad Jobs? I would be delighted if you knew someone who had just come out with an Economics degree from City

Also, was looking at CASS Banking and International Finance? It says it only needs A in GCSE Maths?

The reputation is City isn't as good as many other unis like Loughborough, but that doesn't mean no one is going to employ you. Depending on what kind of jobs you are looking at post-graduation, the reputation of the uni you went to can mean very little. Big 4 accountancy firms don't make that much distinction between unis and care more about the individual and his/her skills and personality, investment banks will be more picky because they can, but you wont immediately be blackballed just because you have a City degree.

Being at City might decrease your attractiveness on a CV ever so slightly, but if you take advantage of the opportunities around you that wont matter in the slightest. Being in London gives you so many choices and opportunities. There are high profile guest lectures to attend (at City and other unis like LSE), tons of graduate recruitment events as well as everything else cultural, historical and academic. Taking the opportunity to network and learn outside your degree will be far more important long term than the name on your degree certificate.

Having said all that, Cass does have a great reputation in the city and, should you choose a Cass degree, certainly wont hurt with securing those interviews and meetings. If the website has said that an A is require in GCSE maths then that is what you must have. I know that have been increasing the entry requirements due to the school's increased popularity.
Reply 12
rscully
The reputation is City isn't as good as many other unis like Loughborough, but that doesn't mean no one is going to employ you. Depending on what kind of jobs you are looking at post-graduation, the reputation of the uni you went to can mean very little. Big 4 accountancy firms don't make that much distinction between unis and care more about the individual and his/her skills and personality, investment banks will be more picky because they can, but you wont immediately be blackballed just because you have a City degree.

Being at City might decrease your attractiveness on a CV ever so slightly, but if you take advantage of the opportunities around you that wont matter in the slightest. Being in London gives you so many choices and opportunities. There are high profile guest lectures to attend (at City and other unis like LSE), tons of graduate recruitment events as well as everything else cultural, historical and academic. Taking the opportunity to network and learn outside your degree will be far more important long term than the name on your degree certificate.

Having said all that, Cass does have a great reputation in the city and, should you choose a Cass degree, certainly wont hurt with securing those interviews and meetings. If the website has said that an A is require in GCSE maths then that is what you must have. I know that have been increasing the entry requirements due to the school's increased popularity.

I actually got a B at GCSE Maths but Im retaking it this Mary/June as Im helping my little brother with it who is in year 11 at the moment so it wont hurt if take a resit, After all I'll probably get an A (Less stress and Maths GCSE isnt half as hard as what Im studying now lol, plus, having looking at the new spec, their seems to be more C and B grade questions compared to A and A* questions! Which is only good lol)

Im going to apply to Loughborough, Cass and City (In that order of preference, I want to go into a big4 accountancy firm grad training scheme so If say I come out with a 2:1 in Economics would that help? And do you have to do Accounting? Could you also do other roles in the company such as Consultancy?

Also, would you say its better to do a degree at CASS such as Banking and International Finance rather than Economics? Would the Big4 like this more?

Also, do you know anyone who has graduated from CASS/City either in BIF or Economics? I would be grateful if you could get me in touch with them or ask a few questions such as how their Job opportunities square up, as City does have one of the best Graduate employability figures in London and the UK, but is this the case with the Economics degree as well?

Thanks Rscully!

HamzaB
Reply 13
hamzab
I actually got a B at GCSE Maths but Im retaking it this Mary/June as Im helping my little brother with it who is in year 11 at the moment so it wont hurt if take a resit, After all I'll probably get an A (Less stress and Maths GCSE isnt half as hard as what Im studying now lol, plus, having looking at the new spec, their seems to be more C and B grade questions compared to A and A* questions! Which is only good lol)

Im going to apply to Loughborough, Cass and City (In that order of preference, I want to go into a big4 accountancy firm grad training scheme so If say I come out with a 2:1 in Economics would that help? And do you have to do Accounting? Could you also do other roles in the company such as Consultancy?

Also, would you say its better to do a degree at CASS such as Banking and International Finance rather than Economics? Would the Big4 like this more?

Also, do you know anyone who has graduated from CASS/City either in BIF or Economics? I would be grateful if you could get me in touch with them or ask a few questions such as how their Job opportunities square up, as City does have one of the best Graduate employability figures in London and the UK, but is this the case with the Economics degree as well?

Thanks Rscully!

HamzaB

Big 4 firms aren't just accountancy, all have consulting and corporate finance departments as well as audit and tax. Generally, they wont look too hard at your uni or degree - because they collectively recruit around 3000 graduates a year they take a very broad spectrum of people and train them from the bottom. The difference between an economics and BIF degree will be minute (although BIF might be of more interest to your interviewer as they interview hundreds of econ grads) and Cass will only be slightly more attractive than City or Loughborough.

If you were looking at gap year schemes for next year then get in there quick (I mean NOW) because they are all filling if not full.

Unfortunately I don't know any econ grads from City, but I recollect there was one on the forum somewhere.
Reply 14
rscully
Big 4 firms aren't just accountancy, all have consulting and corporate finance departments as well as audit and tax. Generally, they wont look too hard at your uni or degree - because they collectively recruit around 3000 graduates a year they take a very broad spectrum of people and train them from the bottom. The difference between an economics and BIF degree will be minute (although BIF might be of more interest to your interviewer as they interview hundreds of econ grads) and Cass will only be slightly more attractive than City or Loughborough.

If you were looking at gap year schemes for next year then get in there quick (I mean NOW) because they are all filling if not full.

Unfortunately I don't know any econ grads from City, but I recollect there was one on the forum somewhere.

Cheers mate do you know any BIF graduates?

Seriously, their filling up Now for Grad schemes? OMG! So what 4 should I apply to

Deloitte
PWC
Ernst & Young
KPMC

Or apply to all 4? But what do they normally ask for GCSEs? I got 4A*s 3A's, 4B's and a C, is that OK

My AS predictions are quite good, I think all Bs and maybe one A so ABBB/ AABB

Thanks mate

HamzaB

EDIT: Just checked Deloitte website, it says the 2009 entry ones opened in July 08, but I need to apply for 2010 Entry right? (Im currently in my AS year 12)
Reply 15
hamzab
Cheers mate do you know any BIF graduates?

Seriously, their filling up Now for Grad schemes? OMG! So what 4 should I apply to

Deloitte
PWC
Ernst & Young
KPMC

Or apply to all 4? But what do they normally ask for GCSEs? I got 4A*s 3A's, 4B's and a C, is that OK

My AS predictions are quite good, I think all Bs and maybe one A so ABBB/ AABB

Thanks mate

HamzaB

EDIT: Just checked Deloitte website, it says the 2009 entry ones opened in July 08, but I need to apply for 2010 Entry right? (Im currently in my AS year 12)

If you're in your AS year then you needn't worry, applications wont open until the summer. Just make sure you get your application in within the first couple of weeks. I'd apply for as many schemes as possible, it will give you more chance, more interview experience and you'll learn more about the firms. I'll post some links in this thread some time later this week (again, please remind me if I forget!)
Reply 16
rscully
If you're in your AS year then you needn't worry, applications wont open until the summer. Just make sure you get your application in within the first couple of weeks. I'd apply for as many schemes as possible, it will give you more chance, more interview experience and you'll learn more about the firms. I'll post some links in this thread some time later this week (again, please remind me if I forget!)

Cheers Mate, Will PM you by the end of this week if thats OK?

Also, out of curiosity, what are you studying at CASS?

BTW Ive actually got back from City University, went on my own little tour lol, school of social science looks really nice but the Northampton square part...well...lets just say it needs a little modernisation, any idea if they will?
Reply 17
hamzab
Cheers Mate, Will PM you by the end of this week if thats OK?

Also, out of curiosity, what are you studying at CASS?

BTW Ive actually got back from City University, went on my own little tour lol, school of social science looks really nice but the Northampton square part...well...lets just say it needs a little modernisation, any idea if they will?

Social Sciences is nice, but there are very few Cass classes in there. Then college building (part of Northampton) is pretty nice and has just been refurbished, though I'm not sure what else is due to be upgraded. If you want to come down and check out some lectures or whatever just give me a shout, I wouldn't mind showing you around and stuff and none of the lecturers would care. I'm studying IFRM at Cass, which is not that different to BIF.
Reply 18
rscully
Social Sciences is nice, but there are very few Cass classes in there. Then college building (part of Northampton) is pretty nice and has just been refurbished, though I'm not sure what else is due to be upgraded. If you want to come down and check out some lectures or whatever just give me a shout, I wouldn't mind showing you around and stuff and none of the lecturers would care. I'm studying IFRM at Cass, which is not that different to BIF.

Might have to take up your offer on the showing around part lol

I'll PM you my number, just give me a text on whatever date is good for you and we can go on from there

Thanks mate, means a lot to me!

HamzaB

Latest