Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Bristol University Accommodation Info (please post all questions here!)

Announcements Posted on
Got a question about Student Finance? Ask the experts this week on TSR! 14-09-2014
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by punctuation)
    Haha I know right Yeah, I'm not really bothered, though it will probably impair my ability to make drunken friends, haha.

ETA: Sorry, I just visited your profile and, stalker-like, I think I recognise you! Perhaps? Did you partake, during interviews, in a game of hearts with several other chem applicants? I definitely remember you (or someone who looks like you) in that game.
    Aha yeah I think so I probably would know who you were but I can only see a picture of a guy with a massive moustache
    • 35 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alexsheppard11)
    And it gets worse at university....
    third year in and still getting- are you alexsheppard11 from tsr?
    Oh, wow! You're famous! How do they recognise you? Do you look like your avatar? (Green hair, purplish shirt, etc.)

(Original post by Joshc93)
    Aha yeah I think so I probably would know who you were but I can only see a picture of a guy with a massive moustache
    Haha, fair enough! Yeah, I grew that moustache particularly for the occasion. :rolleyes:
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    Oh, wow! You're famous! How do they recognise you? Do you look like your avatar? (Green hair, purplish shirt, etc.)
    Tall, ginger, hard to miss.
    • 35 followers

ReputationRep:
    Tall, ginger, hard to miss.
    Haha, makes sense. I'll keep an eye out next year?
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    Haha, makes sense. I'll keep an eye out next year?
    only if you get in?!
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi I was wondering if anyone could offer any insight into Baddock or Hiatt-Baker halls as they seem pretty similar and I'm getting really stressed out about this whole application process!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    After reading through a fair chunk of this thread it seems that relatively few people are looking at Wills Hall as a first choice, does anybody know how competitive the applications process for Wills is? Thanks
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Beerey)
    After reading through a fair chunk of this thread it seems that relatively few people are looking at Wills Hall as a first choice, does anybody know how competitive the applications process for Wills is? Thanks
    It's the most popular catered hall - 3 applicants per place last time I checked
    • 35 followers

ReputationRep:
    only if you get in?!
    Well I've already achieved the conditions of my offer so... you'd better hide next year.

(Original post by sweets93)
    x
    Fellow Psych & Philo applicant! :hi: Join the Facebook group: http://www.facebook.com/groups/bristolfirmers2012
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm thinking about applying to share a room at Wills which I know is extremely risky - it's mainly down to my financial situation Thoughts on sharing a room?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hiyamynameissoph)
    I'm thinking about applying to share a room at Wills which I know is extremely risky - it's mainly down to my financial situation Thoughts on sharing a room?
    Tbh I can't say cause I have experienced it, but I have a friend at UCL who really enjoys their shared room. Personally I say it's probably much better than it sounds, but then again it's also quite a bit of luck involved, completely depending on who you are sharing with and how well you two get on, but I'm sure it would be fine if that's what ya choose
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone have photos of The Hawthorns apart from the ones on Bristol's website. They're a bit too vague to get a good idea of what the rooms are like.

I'm thinking The Hawthorns and then Durdham as my first and second accom. choices.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Oooh the accommodation prices went up last night I'm thinking Hawthorns or Colston Street now. I was thinking the smaller houses but I think too few people might be a bit risky!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    My mate goes to Bristol and lives in University Hall. He's told me that its the best place to live if you want a good social life and claims that Durdum is 'Dulldum' because everyone is boring, people with ensuites are recluses and Wills is full of people who go on yachting holidays whilst wearing a sweater tied around their shoulders.

Another one of my friends who lives in Durdum has confirmed that it is dull, but I'm not sure whether to believe the UH hype. Granted the halls are small, but when i've visited, everyone seemed keen for a good time. I can't imagine anything worse than getting to Uni, knowing nobody and having a rubbish social life because everyone sits in their room the whole time (an experience had by another friend in Solent)

Any opinions?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    university hall vs goldney?!?!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    If I pick Bristol as my insurance will I end up in really bad accommodation..if I end up having to go to it as my insurance due to not getting into my firm?

Need any answer asap
    • 35 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by georget1)
    If I pick Bristol as my insurance will I end up in really bad accommodation..if I end up having to go to it as my insurance due to not getting into my firm?

Need any answer asap
    Yeah, unfortunately. Accommodation closes July 12th or something, which is before results. If you realise after results you need accommodation, you're not guaranteed a place. You may have to go to private accommodation.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by georget1)

Need any answer asap
    It's really pot luck, I know people in Hiatt Baker and various other halls who had Bristol as insurance, but also know of people who had to find private accommodations cause they couldn't get anything, so just gotta hope for the best I suppose and get your application in as soon as you can when you know what's going on.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hiyamynameissoph)
    One of my best friends is in a shared room at Wills, he's loved it and everyone I know who has shared rooms have become really good friends. The only downside for you may be the layout. If you're in a B room you have to walk through the first person's room to get access. That isn't for everybody. However, as a Wills girl (in fact I'm this coming year's JCR president) I can promise you, Wills is a fantastic hall to live in and you'll not regret your decision to apply.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I think I've made my mind up in that I want to stay at Stoke Bishop but I'm not too sure on which halls.

I was looking forward to starting a new diet plan and hitting the gym hard so I was thinking self catered. Also are there any decent gym's in the stoke bishop area? And I know most people won't know this but are there any MMA (mixed martial arts) gyms in the stoke bishp area?

I also want to have a decent social life; best halls for planning events and going out etc but I also want to be able to work in piece and quiet? (Are there study rooms or are the rooms quiet etc)

How near is the main nightlife to stoke bishop and how is its general location (supermarkets, shopping, sport etc)?

I've looked at University Hall and Durdham but after reading some posts Durdham sounds really boring and University Hall sounds quite shabby. Can anyone confirm this is complete BS or should I have a look at other places?

Thanks in advance.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 18, 2014
New on TSR

Writing your personal statement

Our free PS builder tool makes it easy

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.