The Student Room Group
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Andy Ftw
If you go for UH over durdham/UH en-suite you'll be saving roughly £700-800 which definitely sounds like a huge amount saved, I guess it depends on how much you value an en-suite or the money saved :smile:

I'm not too fussed about en suites really, as long as the rooms are good enough to live in, doesn't take much to please me :tongue: UH would be fantastic for money saving though. It's just choosing between catered and self catered.

Are you a current student/applicant? Where do you live/want to live? :smile:
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol
Original post by FuzzySheep
I'm not too fussed about en suites really, as long as the rooms are good enough to live in, doesn't take much to please me :tongue: UH would be fantastic for money saving though. It's just choosing between catered and self catered.

Are you a current student/applicant? Where do you live/want to live? :smile:

Oh sorry just realised I misread your post, i thought you were sure how much you'd be saving if you chose non en-suite but you meant if you chose self-catered, my bad :tongue:

I'm at UH ensuite atm so if you need any advice or have questions feel free to ask :smile:
Oh sorry just realised I misread your post, i thought you were sure how much you'd be saving if you chose non en-suite but you meant if you chose self-catered, my bad :tongue:

I'm at UH ensuite atm so if you need any advice or have questions feel free to ask :smile:

Ooh that would be great, thank you :smile: Just wondering whether the rooms were okay and the social side of the hall was good, are there a good mix of people? :smile: Also, is it easy to get to know people in other halls in Stoke Bishop?

Thank you!
Ooh that would be great, thank you :smile: Just wondering whether the rooms were okay and the social side of the hall was good, are there a good mix of people? :smile: Also, is it easy to get to know people in other halls in Stoke Bishop?

Thank you!

No worries :smile:

The rooms are great, nice to have your own ensuite/shower and more than enough room for everything you'll need. The rooms at durdham (the ones I've seen at least but can't imagine they vary much if at all) are hardly any different with just a shower door instead of curtain (which is better personally but really who cares :tongue:) and slightly more wardrobe space but apart from that not much between them to be honest. The kitchen at durdham is a fair bit bigger (2 ovens vs 1) and they have a nice lounge area joined to the kitchen so it is practically twice if not more bigger than the kitchens at UH which is nice but again doesn't matter too much in truth.

Naturally most of the 1st years live here in all sorts of halls, you'll meet people from your flat, from your course, societies, through mutual friends etc. and soon you get to easily know people in different halls. As for the social side, it truly is what you make of it. If you want to go out 4x a week or whatever you won't have trouble finding people to go out with. 95% of it is how you are as a person anyway, if you hide in your room all day then obviously not much is going to happen so I think this worry about this hall being unsocial, and that hall being social is not really relevant at all it's truly what you make of it, no matter who you live with or where. The same goes for meeting people in other halls, just depends on the type of person you are more than anything as to how many people you'll meet so can't say much about that but there is so many people I wouldn't worry whatever type of person you are :smile: Yep there's also a great mix of people, I think 3 girls and 3 boys is the standard for flats in durdham and UH as far as I know, apart from gender specific ones which I'm not really sure about.

As for the UH ensuites being boring/excluded/whatever is pretty redundant too. What I noticed is the flats in the ensuites seemed to have mix together during the beginning just naturally being next to each other and all and some have made great friends but various people know links and such to other flats and it's all fine and if you wanna have a go out or whatever there's always people about and such so really not much to worry about that either I say personally so if you really want to go for an ensuite but are scared about having a boring dead halls, just go for it, you'll be fine! I say the same is true for the durdham/dulldham stereotype, there's so many people in durdham who are just as normal and go out and whatever few times a week I think the stereotype is vastly over hyped and you'll probably realise that when you get there. Of course there are quiet people who stay in their rooms never come out, but you get that in every single halls, the truth is how your flatmates are is complete luck, but if you don't mix that well with them there are so many people around you'll get to know in freshers so there's not much to worry about it :biggrin: Hope that's helped a bit any more questions feel free to ask :wink:
No worries :smile:

The rooms are great, nice to have your own ensuite/shower and more than enough room for everything you'll need. The rooms at durdham (the ones I've seen at least but can't imagine they vary much if at all) are hardly any different with just a shower door instead of curtain (which is better personally but really who cares :tongue:) and slightly more wardrobe space but apart from that not much between them to be honest. The kitchen at durdham is a fair bit bigger (2 ovens vs 1) and they have a nice lounge area joined to the kitchen so it is practically twice if not more bigger than the kitchens at UH which is nice but again doesn't matter too much in truth.

Naturally most of the 1st years live here in all sorts of halls, you'll meet people from your flat, from your course, societies, through mutual friends etc. and soon you get to easily know people in different halls. As for the social side, it truly is what you make of it. If you want to go out 4x a week or whatever you won't have trouble finding people to go out with. 95% of it is how you are as a person anyway, if you hide in your room all day then obviously not much is going to happen so I think this worry about this hall being unsocial, and that hall being social is not really relevant at all it's truly what you make of it, no matter who you live with or where. The same goes for meeting people in other halls, just depends on the type of person you are more than anything as to how many people you'll meet so can't say much about that but there is so many people I wouldn't worry whatever type of person you are :smile: Yep there's also a great mix of people, I think 3 girls and 3 boys is the standard for flats in durdham and UH as far as I know, apart from gender specific ones which I'm not really sure about.

As for the UH ensuites being boring/excluded/whatever is pretty redundant too. What I noticed is the flats in the ensuites seemed to have mix together during the beginning just naturally being next to each other and all and some have made great friends but various people know links and such to other flats and it's all fine and if you wanna have a go out or whatever there's always people about and such so really not much to worry about that either I say personally so if you really want to go for an ensuite but are scared about having a boring dead halls, just go for it, you'll be fine! I say the same is true for the durdham/dulldham stereotype, there's so many people in durdham who are just as normal and go out and whatever few times a week I think the stereotype is vastly over hyped and you'll probably realise that when you get there. Of course there are quiet people who stay in their rooms never come out, but you get that in every single halls, the truth is how your flatmates are is complete luck, but if you don't mix that well with them there are so many people around you'll get to know in freshers so there's not much to worry about it :biggrin: Hope that's helped a bit any more questions feel free to ask :wink:

Thank you very much for taking your time to write that, I really appreciate it! It's helped loads, thank you :smile:
Thank you very much for taking your time to write that, I really appreciate it! It's helped loads, thank you :smile:

No problem :smile: Anything else, don't hesitate to ask, beats doing revision.. :wink:
Reply 7186
I went to Wills and it was great. My friends made a video about Bristol univeristy life. Well a parody, check it out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_mf0r1uWSSY
No problem :smile: Anything else, don't hesitate to ask, beats doing revision.. :wink:

Thank you very much! Ah yes, I know that feeling, I've spent the best part of the day watching cat videos on YouTube :colondollar: Happy revising :smile:
Thank you very much! Ah yes, I know that feeling, I've spent the best part of the day watching cat videos on YouTube :colondollar: Happy revising :smile:

Haha fair enough! Thanks, you too :tongue:
Reply 7189
Anyone here living at the Hawthorns? I think I'm going to put it as my first choice but I'd be interested to see anyone's photos, the ones on the website look nice! I'm going to go for the cheapest room I can get, if anyone's seen / got photos of them I'd really like a look.
^ I second that! I'm really interested in The Hawthorns, but a bit doubtful because the lack of info on it. :s-smilie:
Original post by Joshc93
I'd settled on Hiatt Baker but apparently there's going to be massive building works all year now. Anyone got any info about this?

I think I'm settled on Hiatt Baker :smile: but what made you choose that one?
Original post by 1964flow
I went to Wills and it was great. My friends made a video about Bristol univeristy life. Well a parody, check it out

If it is comparable, the rah rep would be correct... (the guns are a minor worry.)
Reply 7193
Original post by Hollyytea
I think I'm settled on Hiatt Baker :smile: but what made you choose that one?

Heard good things about it in terms of 'socialness', food, rooms and general feel. Not much between the halls for me tbh. What made you choose it?
Reply 7194
Original post by 1964flow

If ever there was an advert not to go to Wills... it's that.

Lacking wit, laboured and unoriginal. Doubt this video will get the reception they're hoping.
Original post by Joshc93
Heard good things about it in terms of 'socialness', food, rooms and general feel. Not much between the halls for me tbh. What made you choose it?

Yeah, I've seen a few people post that it's a 'party hall' :biggrin: yeah I got a general feel for it when I was looking around the catered halls, and it had the best looking showers from what I remember too. What course have you applied for?
Reply 7196
Yeah, I've seen a few people post that it's a 'party hall' :biggrin: yeah I got a general feel for it when I was looking around the catered halls, and it had the best looking showers from what I remember too. What course have you applied for?

Ahh that's good news! I'm doing Chemistry, you?

Btw what's your second choice for halls?
Original post by Joshc93
Ahh that's good news! I'm doing Chemistry, you?

Btw what's your second choice for halls?

:O Im doing chemistry too!! :biggrin: what offer did you get?

Probably Badock I think, it seems pretty similar to Hiatt Baker. What about you?
Reply 7198
:O Im doing chemistry too!! :biggrin: what offer did you get?

Probably Badock I think, it seems pretty similar to Hiatt Baker. What about you?

Yeah I was thinking that too. I got AAA for the Mchem with industrial exp, you?
hey guys, just a quick one!
im interested to know who's studying Chemistry at Bristol in October, seeing as we're all with each other for the next 4 years! :P
plus, Baddock for me if i choose catered, or the Hawthorns if i choose self catered.
(edited 11 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending