Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Bristol University Accommodation Info (please post all questions here!)

Announcements Posted on
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rubgish)
    I understand why you wouldn't want to be seen by guys in your towel etc, but honestly you just get used to it. Living with people is just, well, different to knowing people otherwise. It sounds a bit silly, but it genuinely is different, and you feel differently about people you live with. Even if its still not your cup of tea, you can always take clothes into the bathroom with you (theres space to put clothes on the side while you shower and space to change afterwards.

I guess mutual attraction is a problem, but really no-one wants to have an inter-flat relationship, you're adults, you should (probably) be able to deal with it, plus when you live with someone 24/7 its a lot easier to understand they aren't perfect, and so you're unlikely to think that they are better than your current partner

Oh and my exam was alright thanks
    I'll take your word for it, I can't agree or disagree never having had that experience But can't they still walk into the bathroom whilst your changing in that case?

I don't know how much people can grow up over the summer holidays :P My cousin met her boyfriend in her first year in a shared house so did one of my best friends this year ( I'm talking the 4 bedroom kind not the moohoosive bristol student house kind)

Plus I've had a bad experience with my ex cheating on me colouring my opinions... he blamed the fact that he couldn't get away from her because she was always there, which I know is pathetic and he could have waited till after me and him were over... it was just so weird, together a year and a half, he was utterly devoted, i'd spent xmas with his fam, we went on holiday together in the summer he told his friends just before he left when one was sceptical about relationships surving uni that he knew I was the one, and I was going to be his wife one day. He was so in love and so devoted to me before he left... then decided he found something better at uni in matter of weeks :confused:

Haha well I'm a really untidy person so none of their habits would probabaly bother me, it'd probabaly be someone living with me who got put off me for my messyness seeing as opposites attract and all
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xfirekittyx)
    I'll take your word for it, I can't agree or disagree never having had that experience But can't they still walk into the bathroom whilst your changing in that case?

I don't know how much people can grow up over the summer holidays :P My cousin met her boyfriend in her first year in a shared house so did one of my best friends this year ( I'm talking the 4 bedroom kind not the moohoosive bristol student house kind)

Plus I've had a bad experience with my ex cheating on me colouring my opinions... he blamed the fact that he couldn't get away from her because she was always there, which I know is pathetic and he could have waited till after me and him were over... it was just so weird, together a year and a half, he was utterly devoted, i'd spent xmas with his fam, we went on holiday together in the summer he told his friends just before he left when one was sceptical about relationships surving uni that he knew I was the one, and I was going to be his wife one day. He was so in love and so devoted to me before he left... then decided he found something better at uni in matter of weeks :confused:

Haha well I'm a really untidy person so none of their habits would probabaly bother me, it'd probabaly be someone living with me who got put off me for my messyness seeing as opposites attract and all
    The bathrooms are like ones you'd have at home, ie shower, toilet, sink all in one room + some extra space, so they can't get in unless you leave the door unlocked

Re-reading what I said about in-flat relationships I perhaps worded it wrong, the point I meant to get across was more that it requires a stronger attraction internally inside the flat for people to have a go at it, because the consequences are (potentially) pretty bad for the rest of the year if it goes wrong. So theres a sort of greater 'attracted' threshold for flat members than there would be for people outside the flat, making it less likely that you'd end up with someone inside the flat.

I understand that a bad experience like that would discourage you from mixed living, but from an objective standpoint I feel like mixed living might help you too - I don't really know the full circumstances, but it seems pretty likely the result of that relationship is still affecting you, so perhaps if you are in that situation yourself you can see it from his point of view, and maybe either (a) realise that his excuse was more valid than you realised or (b) realise that it wasn't and that he wasn't the guy you thought he was. It might help you move on from it (if its still effecting you, this is all very hand-wavy on my part )

Everyone has a threshold messiness they can put up with, its just down to people to find out what it is, most peoples are reasonable I'm actually cleaner at uni than I am at home, even though at home my parents do vacuuming/washing for me, so I don't quite understand how that works!
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    The bathrooms are like ones you'd have at home, ie shower, toilet, sink all in one room + some extra space, so they can't get in unless you leave the door unlocked

Re-reading what I said about in-flat relationships I perhaps worded it wrong, the point I meant to get across was more that it requires a stronger attraction internally inside the flat for people to have a go at it, because the consequences are (potentially) pretty bad for the rest of the year if it goes wrong. So theres a sort of greater 'attracted' threshold for flat members than there would be for people outside the flat, making it less likely that you'd end up with someone inside the flat.

I understand that a bad experience like that would discourage you from mixed living, but from an objective standpoint I feel like mixed living might help you too - I don't really know the full circumstances, but it seems pretty likely the result of that relationship is still affecting you, so perhaps if you are in that situation yourself you can see it from his point of view, and maybe either (a) realise that his excuse was more valid than you realised or (b) realise that it wasn't and that he wasn't the guy you thought he was. It might help you move on from it (if its still effecting you, this is all very hand-wavy on my part )

Everyone has a threshold messiness they can put up with, its just down to people to find out what it is, most peoples are reasonable I'm actually cleaner at uni than I am at home, even though at home my parents do vacuuming/washing for me, so I don't quite understand how that works!
    oh ok in my ex's hall there were several showers and toliets in the same room so there wasn't that level of privacy. Thanks that is so reassuring

That's pretty true, a lot of people do just get carried away with their feelings and don't think about consequences till later. For example, just over a month after he and I broke up his mum told me he signed the lease to move into a flat with just her for the second year of uni...

Oh I don't think I was clear either, they were on seperate floors, so my logic is if it was that bad he couldn't stay away in the same building, then it'll be a lot harder in the same block! Yes you're right, it's unfortunetly still affecting me, still makes me apprenhensive about uni and living with people I don't know, as I dunno I spent time with the people in his halls, some told me about their relationship problems, came to me for support yet none of them thought I had the right to know I was being cheated on when my ex and the girl weren't being very covert: I found out by a picture posted on facebook of them kissing. Sorry about spilling my guts to you by the way!

Ahh aweseome I hope I'm like you then in that respect! I think that's true, everyone has their limits, even me who's comfortable with a floordrobe...

Have you had your last exam?
    • 35 followers

ReputationRep:
    I thought they were a row of showers/toilets as well! Now I need to reassess my mental image. So there are three bathrooms, two with showers, so eight people share two showers and a bath... and each room has a basin. Isn't that really crowded sometimes?

Also, when you say self-contained... I still have a difficult time picturing that. Is each floor one flat? Is the entrance to the flat one used solely by the occupants of that flat, or is there a stairwell for each block or something?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    What's the consensus on UH? Want to be in stoke bishop area for the social life but I also want my halls to be self catered

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    Is it true that UH has 5 people to a bathroom, kitchen and toilet?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hemzo)

(Original post by punctuation)
    I thought they were a row of showers/toilets as well! Now I need to reassess my mental image. So there are three bathrooms, two with showers, so eight people share two showers and a bath... and each room has a basin. Isn't that really crowded sometimes?

One shower per 4-5 people isn't that bad, manage it at home currently. We have an informal routine though... I suppose it could be a nightmare if you have one person who has a shower at different times each day and takes half an hour.

I do not like the idea of 2 shower cubicles in a room however. Not quite sure how you'd manage to put your towel somewhere dry, get out of the shower and grab it before anyone had a chance to see you.

Pics:
    Hiatt Baker
    Manor Hall
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hemzo)
    Yes (I though it was 6 but i could be mistaken, though it's definitely 6 for en-suites either way but not 100% sure about the normal UH flats)

There are 48 en suite flats and about 200ish non en-suites I believe
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    According to the site, UH has 253 without en suite and 48 en suite.

"Shower room and WC shared in flats of 5 students"

"Kitchen/diner in each flat of 5-6 students"

So I assume if you have en suite you share with one more person? :rolleyes:

Looking more closely, I'm starting to like UH. It's in Stoke Bishop, cheap and as far as I can see has individual showers.
    • 35 followers

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the info. Does anyone have photos of Goldney bathrooms? or just photos of the interior of Goldney in general...
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I assume you mean other than the ones on the bristol website? I tried myself :dontknow:

Their site can be a pain, half of them don't have photos for the bathrooms which is a major factor. Neither do they have a single place to compare the rooms available, you have to go back and forth.

I don't care how nice and pretty the outside looks, I want to know how nice the room itself is. :hmpf:
    • 35 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A.J10)
    I assume you mean other than the ones on the bristol website? I tried myself :dontknow:

Their site can be a pain, half of them don't have photos for the bathrooms which is a major factor. Neither do they have a single place to compare the rooms available, you have to go back and forth.

I don't care how nice and pretty the outside looks, I want to know how nice the room itself is. :hmpf:

They have residences at a glance though: http://www.bristol.ac.uk/accommodati...om-glance.html

unless you meant the photos?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    So Durham is really quiet yeah? Would I be stupid to choose it over UH if I'm looking for somewhere with a good social life? Also bearing in mind that Goldney is my first choice

• 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by phiddy23)
    So Durham is really quiet yeah? Would I be stupid to choose it over UH if I'm looking for somewhere with a good social life? Also bearing in mind that Goldney is my first choice

IMO durdham seriously over criticised for being terrible for social life and really quiet. Although I don't live there from my experience of the people I know there it couldn't be further from the truth. Of course there are quiet people, and quiet flats and such but that happens everywhere and it's really luck where you end up but there will always be people who will be up for doing stuff and you'll mix together anyway, and as I've said before it's 99% up to you anyway of how socialble you'll be, so if you really prefer durdham I say go for it
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A.J10)
    One shower per 4-5 people isn't that bad, manage it at home currently. We have an informal routine though... I suppose it could be a nightmare if you have one person who has a shower at different times each day and takes half an hour.

I do not like the idea of 2 shower cubicles in a room however. Not quite sure how you'd manage to put your towel somewhere dry, get out of the shower and grab it before anyone had a chance to see you.

Pics:
    Hiatt Baker
    Manor Hall

(Original post by Andy Ftw)
    Yes (I though it was 6 but i could be mistaken, though it's definitely 6 for en-suites either way but not 100% sure about the normal UH flats)

There are 48 en suite flats and about 200ish non en-suites I believe
    Thanks guys! I just would have thought that with UH being the cheapest, it would of have had about something like 10 to 1 bathroom, but it doesn't sound that bad! Would you guys recommend UH over Goldney?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hemzo)
    Thanks guys! I just would have thought that with UH being the cheapest, it would of have had about something like 10 to 1 bathroom, but it doesn't sound that bad! Would you guys recommend UH over Goldney?
    10:1? Bloody hell that'd be a nightmare :L

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my E15i
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A.J10)
    10:1? Bloody hell that'd be a nightmare :L

I think it was Bath where it was something like 11:1, I have no idea how that would have worked
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hemzo)
    I have no experience of Goldney or any of the clifton halls so I can't really say, but what I've experienced at UH it's great, cheap, fun, blah blah blah it's all good and couldn't recommend it highly enough, but likewise I'm sure Goldney folks would say the exact same thing about Goldney but truth is you'll like it whether you go, I say just go with what your instincts says. The big difference is stoke bishop vs clifton I say personally, and of course Goldney being the most oversubscribed halls (I believe) and UH being undersubscribed, well not sure if that would make a difference to you, but putting both down should surely make sure you live in one or the other
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Hmm I'm scared that if I have UH as my second to Goldney I won't have any chance of getting Goldney. :s

• 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by phiddy23)
    Hmm I'm scared that if I have UH as my second to Goldney I won't have any chance of getting Goldney. :s

I'm pretty sure you'll have the same chance of getting goldney.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 2, 2014
New on TSR

Student in a Million awards

All the results from our prize-giving night

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.