The Student Room Group
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol

Scroll to see replies

Reply 7280
When can we start to apply for accomadation?
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol
Original post by Joshc93
When can we start to apply for accomadation?

7th of June, then you have till 12th June before your guarantee of an accommodation place is gone. I think, check the website to be 100000% sure but im pretty sure, i know 7th is when you can apply. :smile:
Ugh ok Durdham and UH are both really not coming across well from reading this. So out of HB and Badock which one has the best kitchens? I had my heart set on self catered but social life is more important to me I think. And Goldney will be my first choice. Really not into being in a Churchill or Wills if the 'rah' rumours are true. I wish there was a halls like Goldney in Stoke Bishop!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 7283
I think you should expect a fair spread of 'rah' population throughout the uni, and after all, the place is what you make it I guess.
Reply 7284
Original post by Rubgish
You aren't allowed to put Goldney second, as no-one would ever get it as a second choice. In a normal year, I think Goldney first Manor second would be reasonable, but with the places at manor so limited I'd probably advise against that. Maybe Goldney first CHH second would be your best bet if your heart is set on clifton halls.

Manor's being refurbished for the academic year 2012/2013 so you can't apply to that one. Otherwise it looked pretty decent.
Ive firmed Bristol and im now looking to apply for accommodation when they start accepting applications! Ive read about them on the website and this forum, but its all very confusing! im looking for a catered hall, and im a musician (play the guitar/sing, keyboards, congo, lots of stuff basically!). Do any of the halls have like facilities for musicians? like practice rooms or smthing ( i have no idea!)? thanks

and im an international student btw (India) so i cant visit them and have really no idea what they are actually like!
Thanks!
Original post by xander93
Manor's being refurbished for the academic year 2012/2013 so you can't apply to that one. Otherwise it looked pretty decent.

You can still apply to Manor, only you'll be placed in the annex buildings instead. The main building itself is out of action, so in terms of extra communal facilities, people staying in the annex buildings will have to use goldney or CHH instead.
Reply 7287
Original post by Rubgish
You can still apply to Manor, only you'll be placed in the annex buildings instead. The main building itself is out of action, so in terms of extra communal facilities, people staying in the annex buildings will have to use goldney or CHH instead.

Gotcha. Don't think it would be worthwhile applying there though anyway, I'm still deciding one what hall I'd like to go to.

Have you finalised your decision yet?
Gotcha. Don't think it would be worthwhile applying there though anyway, I'm still deciding one what hall I'd like to go to.

Have you finalised your decision yet?

I'm already at bristol, in Goldney :smile: Just trying to help people make choices (and obviously telling everyone how awesome goldney is)
Reply 7289
Original post by Rubgish
I'm already at bristol, in Goldney :smile: Just trying to help people make choices (and obviously telling everyone how awesome goldney is)

Haha nice!

I'm seriously considering Goldney, but I'm on a pretty tight budget and don't have much saved up, meaning that as one of the more expensive ones I might not be able to choose it :/

Which would you say, overall, is better out of uncatered vs catered, and Stoke Bishop vs. Clifton?
Haha nice!

I'm seriously considering Goldney, but I'm on a pretty tight budget and don't have much saved up, meaning that as one of the more expensive ones I might not be able to choose it :/

Which would you say, overall, is better out of uncatered vs catered, and Stoke Bishop vs. Clifton?

It is one of the more expensive self-catered non-ensuite. You'll pay more for any catered or ensuite though, so its not as bad as some people make out, especially if you cook yourself decent meals and don't splash out on expensive foods too much.

In terms of catered vs uncatered, i'd hate to live in a catered halls. Fixed meal times, little choice of food and no kitchen would be awful, one of my friends is leaving to go back home for summer soon, so today we decided we'd have to get together and have a meal to say goodbye. For only £5 each, we had a delicious 3 courses meal (+wine), we had a great evening and it would have been impossible to do so in a catered hall, and going out would have been far more expensive and probably less enjoyable.

As for stoke bishop vs clifton, clifton is far more convenient for almost everything, the bus going to stoke bishop makes it not as bad as it could be, but it still takes longer to get there than walking does from clifton. In terms of the social aspect, I don't really feel there is that much of a difference, there are fewer students in total in Clifton, but its still in the region of 500-600 or so, and that is way more than you could ever get to know.
Ok, wud Goldney (first choice) + the Hawthorns (second) be risky for an undergrad international student? I really feel like getting into Goldney now :/
Reply 7292
okay so i'm thinking of applying for Goldney as my first and CHH/Richmond terrace and my second. Is it true that the clifton halls are less social? i'm doing cellular and molecular medicine so i'll have quite a lot of lectures and labs and stuff so i'm thinking not stoke bishop. I really don't want to go somewhere where people don't go out at all though... any advice?
Original post by schahal
okay so i'm thinking of applying for Goldney as my first and CHH/Richmond terrace and my second. Is it true that the clifton halls are less social? i'm doing cellular and molecular medicine so i'll have quite a lot of lectures and labs and stuff so i'm thinking not stoke bishop. I really don't want to go somewhere where people don't go out at all though... any advice?

Im concerned about Clifton halls being a little less social as well.. :/ but ive only heard good stuff about Goldney so Im just going for it
Reply 7294
Original post by theoriginal9321
Im concerned about Clifton halls being a little less social as well.. :/ but ive only heard good stuff about Goldney so Im just going for it

What are you putting 2nd? Yeah Goldney does sound great
Original post by schahal
What are you putting 2nd? Yeah Goldney does sound great

The post above urs.. :P thinking of putting hawthorns as second preference.. but im just worried it might be too risky :s-smilie:
Reply 7296
The post above urs.. :P thinking of putting hawthorns as second preference.. but im just worried it might be too risky :s-smilie:

lol awks haha
hmm i thought hawthornes but then it says on the bristol website that it also has quite a few applications and i don't want to end up not getting either of my choices. argh this is such a mare
Original post by schahal
lol awks haha
hmm i thought hawthornes but then it says on the bristol website that it also has quite a few applications and i don't want to end up not getting either of my choices. argh this is such a mare

Ikr! its like, first u have to decide on the course, then uni's, now the accommodation! thats quite a lot of hair splitting! im just kinda hoping that they might give preference to international students :x .. Thats y i posted here to see if its too much of a risk :/ I just want to stick to Clifton and be nearer to the uni
Original post by ohdeer
For financial/personal reasons, I would really like to choose a hall where I had a reasonable chance of staying 2 years.

I know I would definitely like to be catered and have no preference regarding Clifton/Stoke Bishop.

Does anyone have any idea about which halls are more likely to take returners? Or can you return to a different hall?

On visiting, lots of the hall managers suggested that returners were prioritised based on their contribution to hall life - do you know what kinds of ways people do this?

Thank you!

Someone on TSR said they stayed at Churchill for the entirety of their course, so perhaps Churchill.

Ways to contribute, be involved with JCR, work at the bar or something
Original post by ohdeer
For financial/personal reasons, I would really like to choose a hall where I had a reasonable chance of staying 2 years.

I know I would definitely like to be catered and have no preference regarding Clifton/Stoke Bishop.

Does anyone have any idea about which halls are more likely to take returners? Or can you return to a different hall?

On visiting, lots of the hall managers suggested that returners were prioritised based on their contribution to hall life - do you know what kinds of ways people do this?

Thank you!

Depending on the halls, sometimes the JCR are chosen from the previous year to be on the JCR during their second year, and thus any JCR members are guaranteed second year accommodation at that hall. I really don't know different halls policy on this, but as mentioned in another reply to your post, Churchill definitely does do this (as does Goldney, but its non-catered so not one you'd be interested in)

Original post by schahal

Its the wrong use of the word "social" to say that clifton halls are less social. What people mean when they say that it is less social is that on any given night, fewer people from clifton go out clubbing. This is to be expected as there are fewer people total in clifton, thus fewer total people going out. This can mean there isn't the same party atmosphere people say there is at stoke bishop (i've not spent enough time there to really judge if it is any different to here in clifton). Also (at least at Goldney), the facilities are so nice that you can easily spend an evening in goldney enjoying yourself, without ever having to leave. In that sense I'd say we are probably more insular than the stoke bishop halls, where there is pretty much nothing else to do as they are out of the way of everything else.

In terms of actual social interaction, it'll be exactly the same whatever halls you are at, its basically what you make of it. Wherever you are, there is a chance you wont click with your flatemates, that doesn't mean you have to be anti-social, just means you have to find other people you do click with, and they will be there in any halls.

Latest

Trending

Trending